Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pom bashing.....your experience?

Pom bashing.....your experience?

Old Sep 26th 2006, 10:51 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pom bashing.....your experience?

Nope most kiwis outside the work environment are very friendly, inside the work environment I found they felt threatened by the newby pom ... for gods sakes don't say "I used to do it like this in the uk"
I live in Rangiora and find it far from boring, rangiora is fab and if we could have afforded to have bought our ten acres closer to the town it would have been perfect.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Howick for the first 12 months and have been in Rangiora for the last 2 years.
Howick would have been great if the people from Rangiora lived there, if you know what I mean.
Sorry - straight over my head! - haven't been to either - I was curious that you found NZ boring and wondered where you were.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:56 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Sorry - straight over my head! - haven't been to either - I was curious that you found NZ boring and wondered where you were.
Lived in Bucklands Beach (right next to Howick) so know exactly what they meant
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by thebears
Oh, go on, dish the dirt - tell us about Howick!!

On the other hand, maybe it's what goes on in Rangiora that we need to hear about!!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:07 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Speaking to the solicitor who's helping us sell our house, he claims he heard of Brit ex pats returning from NZ due to an increase in Pom bashing.
I'm assuming this is a lack of sense of humour on certain people's parts, and banter is part of my every day life anyway, and it certainly doesn't put us off.
However, it can be daunting I know, so has anyone noticed an anti immigrant feeling increasing, the way it is in UK.
Hi Steve

Can't say I can recall "ever" having encountered a situation where "pommy" immigrants were "bashed" or ridiculed. At school if you were a brit you were the first one selected for the football team (bad assumptions but hey we were kids).

We were more interested in asking questions about the UK and Europe.

If you come across it - it is the individual not the majority.

But going to any country you just dont start comparing and making rude comments in front of the locals. Proud to be a Kiwi and also a realist about the good and bad parts of the country - no point in sticking your head in the sand.

If you have gone to the trouble of relocating there you should of already evaluated the positives and negatives. Life is too short to dwell on the negatives - the more you do the more they weigh you and your life down.

PS If your Irish your gona be very popular

Kiwi
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:13 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Oh, go on, dish the dirt - tell us about Howick!!

On the other hand, maybe it's what goes on in Rangiora that we need to hear about!!

With respect to being very generalist

Howick is a different socio-economic area and with that is a different apptitude towards neigbours - Rangiora in my opinion is more open and down to earth and full of typical kiwis. Not saying Howick isnt just Rangiora is "more".

Howick is also full of asian immigrants (nothing wrong with that as my wife is Singaporean) but they just mix differently - again I am being general you also get individuals who buck the trend.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:37 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

PS If your Irish your gona be very popular

Kiwi
I know! It's great I even swung my present job because the manager is a huge U2 fan and loves the accent Mind you, I love the Kiwis too so it's a mutual affection.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I've had the usual banter that you get that's good-humoured, and i have been surprised by some kiwi's view of the UK (usually those that haven't been there). For example; that there's a huge alcohol problem in the UK, although i think this is because of Coronation Street and they have also thought that we all live in houses/streets like that! and they think that the weather is ALOT colder than it actually its and freezing most of the time.

I have had a couple of people (women ) that i have felt 'bashed' by but I just walk away and leave them to it!

I'd agree with Sky's comments about the workplace not liking you mentioning doing things differently in the UK but that's not a pom thing that's them not liking to hear that they may not be doing things 'right' which is understandable.

I think Asians and Australians suffer far more than the poms so i wouldn't worry about it.

x
Old Sep 27th 2006, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Howick is a different socio-economic area and with that is a different apptitude towards neigbours - Rangiora in my opinion is more open and down to earth and full of typical kiwis. Not saying Howick isnt just Rangiora is "more".

Howick is also full of asian immigrants (nothing wrong with that as my wife is Singaporean) but they just mix differently - again I am being general you also get individuals who buck the trend.
Spot on !

Howick was lovely and surrounded by water, we lived in the village itself. The people up there just wanted to know how many rentals you had and were totally up themselves.

Rangiora has nice people but I'm not in to snowboarding, sking, walking, mountain biking, surfing or any other extreem sports so I do find it a bit boring. Oh and I only have 800 sq/m section and not 10 acres but I do have a house on me land
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

Stuee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Speaking to the solicitor who's helping us sell our house, he claims he heard of Brit ex pats returning from NZ due to an increase in Pom bashing.
I'm assuming this is a lack of sense of humour on certain people's parts, and banter is part of my every day life anyway, and it certainly doesn't put us off.
However, it can be daunting I know, so has anyone noticed an anti immigrant feeling increasing, the way it is in UK.
Hi

My family and I have lived in Auckland now for 6 years and I haven't had to much of it in every day life and if I have it hasn't been delivered with malice. (did I spell that right)

I am in the Fire Brigade here which is quite male orientated, lots of Banter and I get it alot at work. I like to ask them what it means and walk away laughing when they all say "Prisoner of mother England". Come on, if your gonna call someone something you got to get it right. There is no reference anywhere to my limited knowledge that prisoners were shipped with overalls with the letters POME on. Its gonna sound like I have put alot of time into research on this but I haven't, I just happened to read about it somewhere. Apparently we were called pomes when we traded in the Mediterranean and locals likened the colour of our reddening skin to pomegranates.

I like that explanation anyway, even if its wrong it lets me walk away laughing at the guys at work. If some intellectual is now going to put me right please dont tell the guys at work it will spoil my retort.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuee
Hi

My family and I have lived in Auckland now for 6 years and I haven't had to much of it in every day life and if I have it hasn't been delivered with malice. (did I spell that right)

I am in the Fire Brigade here which is quite male orientated, lots of Banter and I get it alot at work. I like to ask them what it means and walk away laughing when they all say "Prisoner of mother England". Come on, if your gonna call someone something you got to get it right. There is no reference anywhere to my limited knowledge that prisoners were shipped with overalls with the letters POME on. Its gonna sound like I have put alot of time into research on this but I haven't, I just happened to read about it somewhere. Apparently we were called pomes when we traded in the Mediterranean and locals likened the colour of our reddening skin to pomegranates.

I like that explanation anyway, even if its wrong it lets me walk away laughing at the guys at work. If some intellectual is now going to put me right please dont tell the guys at work it will spoil my retort.
Hiya... where abouts in Auckland are you? You must like it if you been here 6 years. We've been here coming up to 16 months now.... its lovely round here. My OH has joined the volunteers here..... he enjoys it too..... he goes off in November to do some course. In fact we just bought our own house.... right opposite the fire station!

I look like a pomegranate today!!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:43 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Apple12
If you think of how it would be in your workplace back in the UK if you had, say, an American arrive in the country, start work, and then tell you how the UK is 20 years behind, and that the way things are done "back home" are so much better... who can wonder that some new immigrants make themselves most unwelcome.
A truly great way to make new friends and settle into a new country.
You bring this up often, Mumo, and often I wonder it is the attitude of the immigrant that is more telling than the attitude of the locals...
I haven't experienced it myself yet luckily but I've heard many professionals say this. I know one or two of them from way back and they've NEVER had work experiences like it before having worked all over the world and Europe. I guess the void in the way they do business is just too different in NZ?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:45 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Apple12
If you think of how it would be in your workplace back in the UK if you had, say, an American arrive in the country, start work, and then tell you how the UK is 20 years behind, and that the way things are done "back home" are so much better... who can wonder that some new immigrants make themselves most unwelcome.
A truly great way to make new friends and settle into a new country.
You bring this up often, Mumo, and often I wonder it is the attitude of the immigrant that is more telling than the attitude of the locals...

I think you are spot on saying try to imagine an American coming over to the UK an saying we do things like this and this is bigger and better but that's not exactly what's going on here. It's more subtle on the part of the Kiwis. It seems as long as you go along with them then it's fine but as soon as you disagree daggers are drawn....
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:47 am
Member of Mumo-land

Originally Posted by southerner
How well they take it probably depends on how you tell them.

A lot of good things about NZ are related to how little it is developed. Now, I'm not saying there is nothing I would change about NZ, far from it. But on the whole I think you might struggle to have your cake and eat it too.
Yes I agree some of those undeveloped things are part of the appeal. On the whole, I've never met such a friendly and sociable crowd.
I can see I might as well shut up as usual because no one's going to know what I mean are they?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 2:49 am
Member of Mumo-land

Is there anywhre you haven't been bears?
You must be the original well-travelled kiwi of kiwi folklore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.