Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pom bashing.....your experience?

Pom bashing.....your experience?

Old Sep 25th 2006, 6:57 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pom bashing.....your experience?

Speaking to the solicitor who's helping us sell our house, he claims he heard of Brit ex pats returning from NZ due to an increase in Pom bashing.
I'm assuming this is a lack of sense of humour on certain people's parts, and banter is part of my every day life anyway, and it certainly doesn't put us off.
However, it can be daunting I know, so has anyone noticed an anti immigrant feeling increasing, the way it is in UK.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:46 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pom bashing.....your experience?

Nope - not expereinced any anti Pom behaviour at all.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Speaking to the solicitor who's helping us sell our house, he claims he heard of Brit ex pats returning from NZ due to an increase in Pom bashing.
I'm assuming this is a lack of sense of humour on certain people's parts, and banter is part of my every day life anyway, and it certainly doesn't put us off.
However, it can be daunting I know, so has anyone noticed an anti immigrant feeling increasing, the way it is in UK.
None at all - very rarely hear the word Pom - think it may be more an Australian thing.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Nope not at all. Not towards Brits anyway.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

You get friendly banter and its good fun, but most Kiwi's don't understand the British sense of humor, the ones who have done there OE do.
I've found it easy to shut them up, you ask them who are the rugby world champions, but I'll have to find something else to say soon and darts just doesn't have the same impact
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:59 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Had much more verbal banter when I lived in Oz. Virtually none here ...
BUT the workplace can be a different matter for some - it's not so much verbal but more a resentment. It's not obvious unless you are a professional and then you can be resented.

My experience of this is in IT (Consultant), Surveying, Civil Engineer, Aircraft Engineer, Physiotherapist and Bar Manager ! No I do not mean I've done them all (ha ha) just that I've had people telling me the same thing, once they have an opinion they are singled out as trouble makers. I've even known people being threatened with 'you will not work in NZ again'. I kid you not.
Just be aware it does happen.
The kiwis don't like to be told they're very behind in their infrastructure, etc. and they are and that's part of it.
Just turn your clock back to the 80's and you'll be fine.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Had much more verbal banter when I lived in Oz. Virtually none here ...
Hope so were moving over there as soon as weve sold the house !
NZ is too slow for me and to be honest a bit boring
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:44 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies guys.
I've been a contractor in aircraft engineering for the last ten years, and expect no worse than we get every day anyway.
Seems to me the Kiwis and Ozzies get at each other more than at us, but nice to hear it seems as good as we found on our visit.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ian & Sharon
Hope so were moving over there as soon as weve sold the house !
NZ is too slow for me and to be honest a bit boring
Where did you settle in NZ?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Thanks for the replies guys.
I've been a contractor in aircraft engineering for the last ten years, and expect no worse than we get every day anyway.
Seems to me the Kiwis and Ozzies get at each other more than at us, but nice to hear it seems as good as we found on our visit.
Think you're right - there is intense rivalry, NZ v OZ - Kiwis think of themselves as a cut above the Aussies as they are settlers, rather than forced evacuees! It's the classic England v Scotland, etc....

However, I do know that Kiwis get really hacked off with Europeans arriving and telling them how much better things are done in Europe - don't blame them, quite frankly!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:42 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
However, I do know that Kiwis get really hacked off with Europeans arriving and telling them how much better things are done in Europe - don't blame them, quite frankly!
If you think of how it would be in your workplace back in the UK if you had, say, an American arrive in the country, start work, and then tell you how the UK is 20 years behind, and that the way things are done "back home" are so much better... who can wonder that some new immigrants make themselves most unwelcome.
A truly great way to make new friends and settle into a new country.
You bring this up often, Mumo, and often I wonder it is the attitude of the immigrant that is more telling than the attitude of the locals...
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:48 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
The kiwis don't like to be told they're very behind in their infrastructure, etc. and they are and that's part of it....
How well they take it probably depends on how you tell them.

A lot of good things about NZ are related to how little it is developed. Now, I'm not saying there is nothing I would change about NZ, far from it. But on the whole I think you might struggle to have your cake and eat it too.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Where did you settle in NZ?
Howick for the first 12 months and have been in Rangiora for the last 2 years.
Howick would have been great if the people from Rangiora lived there, if you know what I mean.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
Nope - not expereinced any anti Pom behaviour at all.
Me neither..all smiles and charm here in Palmy..and virtually where ever I go I am met by smiley, affable, apparently happy, unstressed people....which is nice. Never felt so at home in all my life!!!!! People talk to you who don't know you and there seems to be soooooooo much patience here....well there is in Palmy anyway. Okay the average Kiwi is a nutter in their car..but they are patient nutters!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2006, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

So often I get a comment like "do I detect an English accent?" ....lol that always makes me laugh... People ask me why we came here and seem to be interested in our comments on New Zealand and how we like living here. English seem to be made to feel quite welcome.... in this area anyway. I've had the odd comment about how rich we are bringing our pounds into NZ and buying the expensive new houses but nothing that caused offense to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.