Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Poll: NZ Ideal Place to Live

Poll: NZ Ideal Place to Live

Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Poll: NZ Ideal Place to Live

Originally Posted by lardyl
and I doubt there are many more generalisations being made on one side of the debate than the other - just think about the generalisations (or at least implied generalisations) flying around at the end of the thread, such as "Pomms whinge wherever they end up" and "people who are amazingly anti-NZ are so because of some event that was their fault, due to poor planning, overblown expectations, neagtive thinking or whatever...."

Some other posters here have tried to turn those around by quoting ex-pat Kiwis "whinging" about their old and new countries and giving their opinions....but still it comes back to the same old record, just another track.....
Can't disagree with you at all there.

I have seen legitimate and non-contentious posts get shot down in flames for stating something postive or negative. It's fine if the replies or constructive or at least express some sort of opinion but the 'you're wrong, full stop' posts are pretty annoying at times. That old, broken record definitely plays more than one tune.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

"people who are amazingly anti-NZ are so because of some event that was their fault, due to poor planning, overblown expectations, neagtive thinking or whatever...."
That is no generalisation, that is the absolute truth. I am 100% responsible for all my actions in life, everyone is whether they want to believe it or not.

One criticism I have of Britain recently is that many people do not have this value anymore. Everyone wants someone to blame and there are always excuses like "Someone should have told us", you you see people being interviewed looking stunned and saying things like "No-one told us we'd have these problems" etc.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 2:01 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
That is no generalisation, that is the absolute truth. I am 100% responsible for all my actions in life, everyone is whether they want to believe it or not....
Well not only do we live in a different hemisphere then we are probably on different planets in different universes......so we are never going to agree....

TBH I've never heard anyone make the claim that all of a person's actions are "100%" their responsibility and suggest that everything that happens to them is their own fault. Hey ho, live and learn I suppose.......
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Well not only do we live in a different hemisphere then we are probably on different planets in different universes......so we are never going to agree....

TBH I've never heard anyone make the claim that all of a person's actions are "100%" their responsibility and suggest that everything that happens to them is their own fault. Hey ho, live and learn I suppose.......
If you haven't heard that claim, then you and I live in a different New Zealand entirely as well. The New Zealand where that sentiment is not only believed and often spoken but is at the very core of personal and business and legal interaction is the New Zealand where I live.
Old Oct 22nd 2008, 3:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
If you haven't heard that claim, then you and I live in a different New Zealand entirely as well. The New Zealand where that sentiment is not only believed and often spoken but is at the very core of personal and business and legal interaction is the New Zealand where I live.
doesn't make it right..........and I think you agree with me on that one......
anyway, maybe I have heard the first part - dressed up as something else and perhaps I shut my ears every time I "heard" the second part - I just did not believe what I was hearing

I can provide many examples of circumstances where the "principle" is plain wrong that we could be here for a while......just speak to any psychologist and they will have dozens of case files that prove it to be a fallacious pile of doo-doo.......and believe me I am not a wooly minded liberal when it comes to personal responsibility, I am a realist, a pragmatist who hates people misleading others for whatever reason and by whatever means......often been called "too honest for own good"........but that's another story.....