Politics/Election

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:33 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Politics/Election

Originally Posted by Charismatic
...and Greens would bike?

I'm not swayed by arguments regarding children but income inequality; there is something we can all agree needs sorting out.
Well Celia Wade-Brown does.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 7:45 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any MPs that bike? There are plenty of them milling about around the Beehive so they can't be that worried about security.

Maybe I should run as an MP:
To become a Member of Parliament you must be a New Zealand citizen...
Check.
...and at least 18 years of age.
Check
You must also be registered in an electorate...
Check
voted in by the electorate or through inclusion on a party list.
To do.
No specific tertiary education is required, but a tertiary qualification in law, public policy or economics may be useful.
Oh....
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:28 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Nope. My Dad used to do the 'give the old dears' a lift to the polling station thing and he wasn't doing it for the Tories (1970s)!.

I reckon it's the Greens who catch the bus these days lol. Actually I will be walking to the polling station, it's only round the corner.
twas always the case that if it rained on polling day the Tories got an advantage was it not?

anyway I caught the last half of the TV3 doco and it was a sensible, thoughful condemnation of NZ's brand of free market capitalism and successive governments' policies on health and housing.

Didn't seem party political but you could clearly see which major party would feel the most uncomfortable watching it.

If you want to see it then the on-demand version is here:

http://ondemand.tv3.co.nz/Inside-New...2/Default.aspx
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
twas always the case that if it rained on polling day the Tories got an advantage was it not?
Maybe, I think bright sunny May days always just meant higher turnout overall. Actually if it's pouring with rain on Saturday like it is right now, I will be driving to the polling station and we will take turns to go in. Sheeting down.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm not swayed by arguments regarding children but income inequality; there is something we can all agree needs sorting out.
Isn't that a short-sighted way of looking at it? if you take care of the kids, they then are more likely to grow into functional adults who are less of a long-term burden on the taxpayer.
It's really basic stuff like a hot meal during the school day, free at point of use access to medical care.

I was really struck by Wellington Pediatric Surgeon Brendan Bowker explaining how galling it was to be 'invasively opening up the chest of kids to drain abcesses/infections' which could have been nipped in the bud with antibiotics at a much earlier stage.

Ditto, the rheumatic fever, the on-going treatment for that involves 10 years of monthly penicillin injections, all because you didn't get to the GP early enough and because you live in a cold damp mouldy house.

Last edited by luvwelly; Nov 23rd 2011 at 12:33 am.