Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"policy" to not give work references now?

"policy" to not give work references now?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 3:27 am
Account Closed

Leccy-Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "policy" to not give work references now?

I maybe looking at a job change, and i been contacting past employers in UK to check they dont mind names given as referees.

5 out of past 6 employers all say something similar to "We can no longer give references other than confirming your employment and dates, its policy across the board as we are advised to not do so".?!?!

I had this also once before a couple of years back, an employer had it in the employment contract that no references would be supplied for any staff...

Is this becoming the norm back home now? How does one get a job when all your employers wont offer references? Are the NZ recruiters going to think its a bit odd?
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

pleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nicepleccy2000 is just really nice
Default Re: "policy" to not give work references now?

That is THE most stupid thing i ever heard.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

My old UK company would only give the following:
********* has a neutral reference practice and all requests for associate references must be referred to HR. HR will confirm you were employed at *********, and the date of employment.
I did manage to contact a colleague directly and although they should not have given me a reference and could have got in trouble for doing so, they gave me a reference. That could be a possible option. Good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:18 am
Account Closed

Leccy-Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nero
My old UK company would only give the following:
********* has a neutral reference practice and all requests for associate references must be referred to HR. HR will confirm you were employed at *********, and the date of employment.
I did manage to contact a colleague directly and although they should not have given me a reference and could have got in trouble for doing so, they gave me a reference. That could be a possible option. Good luck
Yes having done a good google it does seem due to lawsuits and litigation that its becoming the norm to take this line, especially in the UK, nearly all google results was from UK sites.

Think i might try getting hold of some old supervisors privately..
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

This is not stupid. Companies face real risks if they give anything other than a positive reference. Therefore, they will only confirm employment history.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
This is not stupid. Companies face real risks if they give anything other than a positive reference. Therefore, they will only confirm employment history.

For years i was a manager for tennants and we had to always give ref's but it became illegal to give bad ones so we gave good refs for everyone that was good worker, honest etc but for the ones that had maybe been caught with hands in till etc all we were told to do was on ref sheet at bit where it asks would you re enploy this person just put no,this would then show an employer to think twice about employing them

To be honest i think if i was to steal from an employer or be a really crap worker, i wouldnt be looking to get a ref from them, as to me i would then deserve a new one ,just my opinion I think if you do a good job you deserve one,and i have never been refused one

caz
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

I got the same responce from my old Government department employer in the UK. HR were most unhelpful and when I asked my manager for a reference he said he had been told directly by HR that he could not.
Having worked for the same dept since leaving University and hitting all my targets year on year I thought this vital information, not just the dates I was employed from and to, nd the location.

Thankfully my manager thought this was a stupid decision and went ahead and gave me a glowing reference anyway, as he said at the time, as he was also being made redundant (due to down-sizing) what was the worst they could do to him??
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

I've met the same thing but have some colleagues who work in different countries who are my friends and they have written references when asked.
Where there's will there's a way...most of the time.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:50 am
Banned

Scouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really niceScouse Dave is just really nice

This isn't unusual is it?? I remember this happening in the 80s! They shy from writing stuff down for fear of litigation - a phone call is another matter though - usually that's OK.

Alternatively, PM me with the fee and what you want me to say, and I'll give you a reference that would get you elected US President - in PLACE of Obama!
Old Feb 5th 2009, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

I work in HR and this is now becoming the norm, due to employers being too honest about employees and the risk of claims against employers by ex-employees. I only give factual info such as dates, pay, sick days taken and thats about it. However if you are on good terms with ex-employers and explain the situation Im sure they will give you a personal reference.

Good Luck x
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

I'm confused! What else can HR say? I would never give an HR contact for a reference as they did not work with me or even know me other than a name and a file on the system

I always put an old Manager's direct contact details and let the agency call them directly for a chat - seems to have worked in the past.

Neil
Old Feb 6th 2009, 5:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leccy-Lee
I maybe looking at a job change, and i been contacting past employers in UK to check they dont mind names given as referees.

5 out of past 6 employers all say something similar to "We can no longer give references other than confirming your employment and dates, its policy across the board as we are advised to not do so".?!?!

I had this also once before a couple of years back, an employer had it in the employment contract that no references would be supplied for any staff...

Is this becoming the norm back home now? How does one get a job when all your employers wont offer references? Are the NZ recruiters going to think its a bit odd?
Seems to be the norm in the US where I am and what you've experienced it appears to be a policy that's spreading to other countries too.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 5:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

That has been standard in the US for over a decade.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

For this reason, always keep copies of your annual appraisals ...