Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Police in New Zealand

Police in New Zealand

Old Jun 28th 2004, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

DReynolds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police in New Zealand

We lived in Napier, NZ for 15 months coming back to the UK a year and 1/2 ago due to family probs.
I have since joined the police in the UK and have recognised our big mistake in coming back to Ingerland!
As much as I love the place of my birth, the lifestyle we lived whilst in NZ was on another level in so many ways........

We intend to return to NZ in a couple of years time (residency permitting !) and I am trying to get hold of someone who can give any advice about joining the NZ police or even what the differences between here and there in terms of policing are.

Has anyone had any dealings with the police (that they want to admit to!) ?

Any advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Duncan.
Old Jun 28th 2004, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Yeh, I got a speeding ticket the other week. Never had one before here or in the UK, so can't really compare. Nice enough chap though, despite giving me a speeding ticket...
Old Jun 28th 2004, 9:33 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Police in New Zealand

Originally posted by DReynolds
We lived in Napier, NZ for 15 months coming back to the UK a year and 1/2 ago due to family probs.
I have since joined the police in the UK and have recognised our big mistake in coming back to Ingerland!
As much as I love the place of my birth, the lifestyle we lived whilst in NZ was on another level in so many ways........

We intend to return to NZ in a couple of years time (residency permitting !) and I am trying to get hold of someone who can give any advice about joining the NZ police or even what the differences between here and there in terms of policing are.

Duncan.

Actually there was an article on Holmes the other night about a UK policeman trying to transfer to NZ.
What I gathered was that there was a recruitment campain (approx 12mths ago i think) for British police to come over to NZ but they had to work in Auckland. But it just happened that one time. This chap had got caught out cause he mistakenly thought (and the NZ police dept he applied to got it wrong) that he could apply to any police dept at any time and have the same recruitment opportunity. Not so apparently, you can only transfer when the NZ govt do specific recruitment campaigns, and then probably only to Auckland as that is where the shortage is.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear,hope I'm wrong for you.

Paula
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

chris@insurance is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually there was an article on Holmes the other night about a UK policeman trying to transfer to NZ.
What I gathered was that there was a recruitment campain (approx 12mths ago i think) for British police to come over to NZ but they had to work in Auckland. But it just happened that one time. This chap had got caught out cause he mistakenly thought (and the NZ police dept he applied to got it wrong) that he could apply to any police dept at any time and have the same recruitment opportunity. Not so apparently, you can only transfer when the NZ govt do specific recruitment campaigns, and then probably only to Auckland as that is where the shortage is.

Sorry if this is not what you want to hear,hope I'm wrong for you.
Unfortunately, this is the case according to my mate in the NZ police.

ALL of the experienced police who migrated from the UK to NZ, had to complete the NZ Police course(in Wellington I believe). Then upon graduation, they were all assigned to the Auckland region. After a period of time they are eligible for transfer to other areas within NZ.

I'd suggest having a look and inquire through the NZ Police website.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

bob and ginnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Policing in Auckland

Don't let being assigned to Auckland put you off.
I'm not a New Zealander, altho' I did work in Auckland 30 years ago, and liked it then quite a lot.
I am now an Australian citizen and married 25 years to a 4th generation Aussie girl, who teaches primary school kids.
It is quite the norm here in Australia, and I guess in NZ too, that when applying for some gov't jobs, namely Police in NZ and Education Dep't in South Australia, you are placed in the spots where the shortage is. In the teaching profession, you must teach for 2 years in the bush, miles away from home, before being allowed a transfer back to the city (Adelaide). I have a mate who refuses (for 20 years now!!!) to teach in the bush and, consequently, still ony gets contract work with the Education Dep't on a term by term basis.
My advice is apply for the Police Force there, do your "time" in Auckland, and apply to police elsewhere in the country.
Even new recruits may be compelled to do their "time" in Auckland too, so it may be unfair if you jump straight into a cushy area, like my mate is still trying to do in teaching!
Hope this encourages you.
Bob

P.S. I'm trying to talk my wife in to retiring to NZ in a couple of years time. I liked the place so much all those years ago.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the help guys !

I've been to the NZ Police website and understand that I would need residency before applying and that there would be a certain amount of training involved, the law will be rather different in many areas I'm sure.

As for being posted in Auckland, It wouldn't bother me too much. When we lived in NZ before we spent 3 months in Henderson and despite people telling us it was a s**thole we found that in reality it wasn't bad at all!

The force I work with at the moment covers 2.2 million people so working in a city wouldn't faze me too much!!!

Anyone know of anyone who actually works in the police ?
It would be cool to know what the working conditions/teamwork/atmosphere amongst colleagues are like.

Cheers.
Duncan.
Old Jun 30th 2004, 8:04 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by DReynolds
Thanks for the help guys !

I've been to the NZ Police website and understand that I would need residency before applying and that there would be a certain amount of training involved, the law will be rather different in many areas I'm sure.

As for being posted in Auckland, It wouldn't bother me too much. When we lived in NZ before we spent 3 months in Henderson and despite people telling us it was a s**thole we found that in reality it wasn't bad at all!

The force I work with at the moment covers 2.2 million people so working in a city wouldn't faze me too much!!!

Anyone know of anyone who actually works in the police ?
It would be cool to know what the working conditions/teamwork/atmosphere amongst colleagues are like.

Cheers.
Duncan.

Yes, my friends hubby is a policeman. He loves the job. As with most countries he is grossly underpaid for what he does!
I have heard 2 gripes from his wife. He dosen't get paid overtime and he has to buy his own boots (the rest is provided).
Like most policemen he dosen't talk too much about his job, but he loves it. You have to be a strong swimmer here to get in, don't know if its the same in the UK.

Paula
Old Jul 1st 2004, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

A friend of the wifes husband was in the Police in Auckland for a couple of years. They moved to Napier and he had to take unpaid leave until a job came up in Hastings. Whilst working in Emergency I did come across British policemen so it is possible.

As for swimming I do know a colleagues policeman husband had to save a girl from the sea of Napier beach. You will remember that tere is an undertow there which also dragged him down.

Police do earn poor salaries in comparison with UK. But as in UK they earn much more than highly qualified nurses after only a short period of training. Few folk seem to earn pots of cash here.
Roger
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 7:13 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DReynolds

Duncan.
Hi there,

Your post is a tad old so just wanted to check if you ae still seeking info.

Let me know if so

Cheers

Campbell
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Campbells
Hi there,

Your post is a tad old so just wanted to check if you ae still seeking info.

Let me know if so

Cheers

Campbell

Hey Campbell,

Still weighing up options, bit disillusioned with the UK force at the moment, lots of changes going on, none of them good.

NZ police may be different.

Any info would be gratefully received !!

Cheers,
Duncan.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 6:55 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Hi Duncan,

Sorry to hear that the force over there is changing as I thought that the UK police were a benchmark globally, let's hope they're not going to screw that up too!

Anyway mate,

Try this site. It is also interesting for new & potential immigrants in terms of what's happening in NZ on the crime front. Compared to us here in South Africa it is nothing. I think our cops here have to sleep with armour on & their weapon chained to their body. Another story all together..............

Good luck & hope there is some otential for you in NZ

Campbell

Who to contact
New Zealand Police
Address 180 Molesworth Street
Wellington
Postal PO Box 3017
Wellington
Telephone +64 4 474 9499 or 0800 161 616 for hearing impaired
Fax +64 4 498 7400
Email [email protected]

Web http://www.police.govt.nz

Hours 24 Hours (by phone only after hours)
This page was last reviewed on Friday 6 August 2004 and is current