British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Point in the right direction? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/point-right-direction-739536/)

sjallen711 Nov 21st 2011 12:08 am

Point in the right direction?

Hi Everyone

Me and my Girlfriend (both 23) have just come out of Uni (July) with Geography degrees and decided that there is nothing really keeping us in the UK and looking to up sticks and move somewhere new. She is currently working as a service manager in Selfridges whilst I am looking at teaching or a few other roles. Just wanted to know what the realistic chances and best ways are to look at gaining work visas and looking for employment. I am obviously going to keep looking on websites and other forums, but any info at all is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Genesis Nov 21st 2011 12:25 am

Re: Point in the right direction?

Originally Posted by sjallen711 (Post 9744798)
Hi Everyone

Me and my Girlfriend (both 23) have just come out of Uni (July) with Geography degrees and decided that there is nothing really keeping us in the UK and looking to up sticks and move somewhere new. She is currently working as a service manager in Selfridges whilst I am looking at teaching or a few other roles. Just wanted to know what the realistic chances and best ways are to look at gaining work visas and looking for employment. I am obviously going to keep looking on websites and other forums, but any info at all is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Your age may allow you to work here for a minimal period, I think young people used to be able to get working viasa for NZ and Oz. Check with the NZ immigration authority if you still can. Failing that unless you are in the skills shortage area you will need to come here and find a job then apply for PR. Have you considered Oz 1st? That is where I would head if I was your age. NZ is best left to washed up folk like me who are in the autumn of their lives. Funky and vibrant are not words you normally associate with NZ.....more people use dull, boring and empty to describe our wet, windy little island. But I like it! For now anyway.

Catchafire Nov 21st 2011 12:40 am

The quickest way for you guys, would be to apply for a Working Holiday Visa ,WHV, which would allow you both to stay and work here for 23months.

So come on over , travel around a bit, work in different places, find somewhere you like to live, get a "proper" job, apply for residency.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...orkingholiday/

BEVS Nov 21st 2011 2:22 am

I agree with Catchafire. A working holiday visa is the way to go.

theghostofdustybin Nov 21st 2011 2:59 am

Hi Everyone

Cheers

If it's just somewhere new you want, why not look at that big lump of land the other side of the channel? Thats got to be more of a change than moving all the way down here?

BEVS Nov 21st 2011 3:02 am

I agree with the Ghostofdustybin also.

:lol:

Catchafire Nov 21st 2011 3:11 am

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin (Post 9744986)
If it's just somewhere new you want, why not look at that big lump of land the other side of the channel? Thats got to be more of a change than moving all the way down here?

Took four years wandering the planet before we ended up here, so yes absolutly I would "go walkabout" if I was that age (again)! :D

theghostofdustybin Nov 21st 2011 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 9744997)
Took four years wandering the planet before we ended up here, so yes absolutly I would "go walkabout" if I was that age (again)! :D

You beat me. I ran out of money after 2 years. Just happens it was here we ran out.

Expat Kiwi Nov 21st 2011 3:41 am

Hi Everyone

Cheers

Have answered your question on the Australian forum.