Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

the plumbing saga continues.....

the plumbing saga continues.....

Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all
Default the plumbing saga continues.....

Hi Bevs are you out there?

It's much much MUCH worse than I even thought earlier today.

Yes, I saw that plumber was removed from the skills shortage list.

Also, got OH's results emailed (great minds think alike--I called them back and asked pretty please). But.... he failed?????

He was sure that he had done fantastic. He was sure he had a 90. He has been a craftsman plumber and taken many tests such as this before with high scores. He studied. He got material from the guys at polytech to study. He was prepared!!
He said when he left the test that it had been EXACTLY the books that he studied. It was EXACTLY the practice questions that he had spent hours and hours studying. He related question after question to me that he knew he had gotten correct.
He can't even begin to understand how he was so wrong.
He got a 54. That means he missed every other point available. How is that possible??????

There is an automatic review of scores between 55 and 59 but he was not reviewed as he got 54.

Well, we have discussed it in DETAIL and, as a former math teacher and having taken and designed and given numerous exams, I have figured it must be that they do not give any partial credit.

Does anyone know what the grading policy is?

There are a number of questions worth 1 or 2 points each. Then there were a number of 3, 4 or 5 point questions that were very complex--requiring an explanation and also a schematic drawing (all during a timed test!!). I am guessing that if you miss any part of this (no matter how small a part and according to the subjective view of the grader), you lose ALL of the points?
It is the ONLY possible explanation. a 54?????

See, I am GUESSING but--we should be able to LOOK at the exam but they mailed it to the wrong address.

And that is a SERIOUS problem.

We recently moved (5 weeks ago) because we have had issues with our landlord (to the point that the police had to get involved, get a search warrant and retrieve our property from them!!!). That landlord shares the mailbox with the former address. They have received the exam but will not return it (yes, I will be calling the police again--but this is getting old)

I changed the address with PGDB 5 weeks ago. There was no reason for them to send it to the old address.

AND to make it worse (worser and worser)--you can't get it re-scored without sending it back in. The PGDB don't keep a copy, if you can believe that.

So we are sitting on a 54!! Which I would totally challenge but we don't have it and may not be able to get it --but through no fault of our own.

As for our PR, she has been asking for things one at a time. We have drug it out for as long as possible to get the registration. She is expecting us to send that to her by the end of the month (like I said, OH has been CONFIDENT--he felt like he got 90% of the questions correct).

I know that WTR could be a 6 month deferral for him to try to get registered. I am a bit panicky about the whole thing. As we are on a 1 year permit that expires in October. We FULLY expected this to be concluded by then.

And without the ability to SEE the exam, we won't know if he was graded harshly but knew the answers OR if he was just WRONG. This is rather important to know if he is going to be successful on the November exam.

This is quickly turning into a nightmare.
Why doesn't NZ just accept the results of the damn $3500 test that took a week to take in Wellington?

I am soooo frustrated.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

ashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to allashby is a name known to all
Default Re: the plumbing saga continues.....

Wanted to add that his company in ChCh is busy. And he stays on call for the maintenance work for Housing NZ. He is working now at 8:30 pm.

All the guys at work have handed over their time "on call" as they don't like to be sober weekends and evenings. (we don't drink)

So we have been in a good location with plenty of work--fortunately.
But maybe not so fortunately--as we may not get to stay

I don't know if we are even eligible to apply for any kinds of work permits now that plumber is off the list?

Can we apply for a plain work to residence or only be given the PR deferral?