Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

plumbing - pipe sizes and fittings

plumbing - pipe sizes and fittings

Old May 23rd 2011, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice
Default plumbing - pipe sizes and fittings

Hi,
I was sorting out stuff in the shed yesterday into 'take' 'sell' 'give away' and 'bin' piles and am now wondering what to do with my supply of copper and brass plumbing fittings. Do NZ houses use 15mm and 22mm copper pipe like the UK or is it something completely different?
Thanks,
John.
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: plumbing - pipe sizes and fittings

Originally Posted by johnht
Hi,
I was sorting out stuff in the shed yesterday into 'take' 'sell' 'give away' and 'bin' piles and am now wondering what to do with my supply of copper and brass plumbing fittings. Do NZ houses use 15mm and 22mm copper pipe like the UK or is it something completely different?
Thanks,
John.
I can't help directly, but have you checked a couple of New Zealand DIY retailers to see what they sell?

Mitre 10 - http://www.mitre10.co.nz/
Bunnings Warehouse - http://www.bunnings.co.nz/
Old May 23rd 2011, 10:14 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. 15mm and 22mm copper is used here in NZ. However, as the price of copper is so expensive it is Fusiotherm and Bute that are most normally used in houses builds.

Compression brass fittings are used here. Most times though fittings are croxed.

with the few bits of central heating that are fitted Pexel pipe is used.

Crimping and crox are the norm here.

Pipe benders - 15mm will work. 22mm probably won;t as there is a slight difference in the pipe.

Source:
Mr BEVS - plumber and gasfitter.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
Yes. 15mm and 22mm copper is used here in NZ. However, as the price of copper is so expensive it is Fusiotherm and Bute that are most normally used in houses builds.

Compression brass fittings are used here. Most times though fittings are croxed.

with the few bits of central heating that are fitted Pexel pipe is used.

Crimping and crox are the norm here.

Pipe benders - 15mm will work. 22mm probably won;t as there is a slight difference in the pipe.

Source:
Mr BEVS - plumber and gasfitter.
Thanks Bevs, I guess I might as well bring my few bits and pieces then. I might find a use for them.
John
Old May 24th 2011, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnht
Thanks Bevs, I guess I might as well bring my few bits and pieces then. I might find a use for them.
John
Certainly don't chuck any of it; I am no plumber however always handy to have says he who has umpteen boxes of stuff in the garage. He bemoans the lack of choice and cost of of plumbing kit available to average Joe in the DIY stores. Our house is plumbed indoors entirely in plastic (or whatever the technical term is for that stuff) and external pipes for water to and around the underneath house (ours is exposed under the house and would I suppose equate to being under the floorboards in the UK) is all copper.