Plumbing in NZ

Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Zzoomer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumbing in NZ

I have read and re-read all the posts about plumbing and moving, and my head is spinning

We are in no rush to move at present as we have to wait til 2015 to sell a piece of land. But have started thinking about our long term future and my mum has just spent two months travelling the length of New Zealand. We are UK residents and will have a nice pot to travel with when the land and house is sold

Can I just ask...
Hubby's plumbing c&c level 3 and advanced plumbing would need to be initially assessed by a governing board at a cost of ?
Is it worth going to a seminar somewhere in the uk to gain mor information?
Although plumbers aren't on the essential workers list, would it be possible to find work somewhere other than Christchurch as we had our hearts set on north island?

Does anyone have a list of the steps needed to complete this whole process and the timescales involved? Obviously we have two years to sort through the whole process so are just putting out feelers at the moment. I am a qualified beauty therapist and have run my small business from home for the last 3 years, although am also a qualified medical secretary/pa though haven't don't this work for years I have the qualifications. Would this be relevant?

I have filled out the online assessment and even the qualifications are confusing (trade certificates, diplomas, etc)

Many thanks in advanced
Old Mar 30th 2013, 9:46 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbing in NZ

Hi there and welcome to NZ.

Originally Posted by Zzoomer View Post

Can I just ask...
Hubby's plumbing c&c level 3 and advanced plumbing would need to be initially assessed by a governing board at a cost of ?
This is as it stands at the moment. Things do and can change.

Please note. Licensing is different to Registration.

1 - You need to get a full NZQA assessment. Current fee seems to be $746 NZD

2 - Once you have that , you then apply for a pre-assess to the PGDB. Cost looks to be $409 NZD

There follows a telephone interview. Following this the PGDBoard will tell you whether or not they will allow you to progress to become NZ registered. NZ Immigration service have this set as the required standard.

3 - Once here and working . - which you can do under a restricted license - you will need to pass a test of practical workmanship $1410 .

4 - You also need to pass the PGDB registration exam. $411.

Note: Should you gain a job offer in the trade, you would be allowed to work under a restricted license. This would do until you were in a position to take full NZ registration.

Note2: This doesn't preclude you for applying for NZ residency via the skilled migrant route. You would need the full NZQA assessment and the pre-assess 'pass' from the PGDB showing you were of the standard.

Appropriate PGDB webpage.

Is it worth going to a seminar somewhere in the uk to gain moer information?
No. I can mostly tell you what you need to know. If not , you will find the PGDB very helpful these days.

Although plumbers aren't on the essential workers list, would it be possible to find work somewhere other than Christchurch as we had our hearts set on north island?
Possible. You will most likely need to be here to gain a trade job offer.

If you get a job offer and want to arrive to start work , then that wold be a temporary work visa. As plumbing is not in shortage here, the employer has to prove there is no NZ resident or citizen that could take that job or train for it.

If you have enough points to go for the skilled migrat residency route without a job offer then the above doesn't apply. Note , however, that applications with job offers are prioritised at present so having a job offer strengthens the application.

If you come here and gain a job offer but shy away from taking up the temporary work permit because of the issue of the trade not being in shortage ( employer having to prove etc) then you run the risk of losing the job.
NO-one can really give you a time frame for a residency application to become approved as it is a case by case basis. You would have to hope the employer would wait.

Remember things can change. Plumbers could come back on the shortage lists. Or - NZIS could change all the rules around.

I am a qualified beauty therapist and have run my small business from home for the last 3 years, although am also a qualified medical secretary/pa though haven't don't this work for years I have the qualifications. Would this be relevant?
Most possibly YES. More details would help.

I have filled out the online assessment and even the qualifications are confusing (trade certificates, diplomas, etc)
Which one?

You need to perhaps do the points indicator from the official NZIS website.
The other way is to start an EOI which you can save & which will help you know the lay of the land.

Come back with any queries. That should get you started.
Old Mar 31st 2013, 10:35 pm
Just Joined

Wow thanks so much...that's exactly what I needed a step by step in the right direction. We aren't in a position to afford to start he process just yet with a new arrival due August but will keep our eyes and ears to the ground in case plumbing pops back onto the list!

Will have a good look at the links you sent x
Old Apr 1st 2013, 6:19 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Plumbing isn't likely to pop back up on a shortage list, other than maybe for Xch. and I am not sure why you feel you would need this if you intend to emigrate .

Bit confused really as C&G advanced indicates you're not a young couple.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

I'm 39 hubby just turned 42, hubby only completed his 5 year apprenticeship about 3 years ago. Sorry I don't understand your concern regarding that detail.

The costs involved with having two young children and our third on the way does put the pressure on us a bit as financially we don't have the kind of money we need until we sell the land we own and aren't looking to do this til 2015, once we've sold it we can do as we please financially.

We would not want to put our family out of pocket until we can afford it. There are a lot of maybe's at this stage.
Old Apr 1st 2013, 9:14 pm
Somewhere

Ah ! I see. You are thinking of the points for SMC if plumbing re-appears on the long term shortage list. Fingers crossed then.

There is a bit of a drive going on here to attract more young'uns and adults into trade apprenticeships. Linky HERE . The idea being for homegrowns to fill gaps in the labour force., particularly with a view to Christchurch.

I've no crystal ball at all but I think perhaps that plumbing might appear on the immediate shortage list for Canterbury first. That wouldn't mean extra points for you at all but would help an employer offer your OH a job.

As applications with a job offer are prioritised to the top of the heap, you may wish to consider factoring in some extra $$$ in case your OH needs to come out to NZ to secure a job offer. Just a thought as an Expression of Interest without a job offer can languish in the pool and not be picked.

Of course you could simply put in an Expression of Interest when the time comes , without a job offer and hope to be picked from the EOI pool. What would probably happen in that instance is that NZIS would likely offer your husband a job search visa instead of residency. The idea being that he comes out to secure work first.

HTH