Plumbers In Nz

Old Feb 22nd 2007, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

coglan99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumbers In Nz

can anyone tell me what english plumbing qualification recogniseed in new zealand cos someone was telling me that some of them arent enough to get a working visa
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:12 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbers In Nz

Originally Posted by coglan99
can anyone tell me what english plumbing qualification recogniseed in new zealand cos someone was telling me that some of them arent enough to get a working visa

Do a search on Plumbing at the top of the page. Loads in here on plumbing somewhere
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 3:47 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Do a search on Plumbing at the top of the page. Loads in here on plumbing somewhere
I think BEVS is the plumbing expert on here? But not sure?!

Coz, that's really useful - well done me!!
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I think BEVS is the plumbing expert on here? But not sure?!

Coz, that's really useful - well done me!!

Aye. 'Tiz I , diddly aye die die.
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 8:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by coglan99
Perhaps you'd like to tell me what quals and work exp. you have, and I'll be better able to tell you what you can do to work in this lovely country.

First --- It is a firm full-time job offer first and then a work visa/permit is issued. Not the other way around.

Plumbing is on the Long Term Shortages list.
This means that an NZ employer can offer you work without having to prove to the NZIS, New Zealand Immigration Service, that there is no New Zealander that can take the job.
So, in theory , any New Zealand employer can offer you a job within the plumbing trade.

With the plumbing trade being on the Long Term Shortages list, this means you can apply for a work visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. SMC.
However it is not enough for an NZ plumbing employer to simply offer you a job within the trade , you also have to prove to the Immigration Service - NZIS - that you actually have the skills and experience for the work.

So - for NZIS to issue a work visa to you, you must
1] get a job offer
2] satisfy NZIS that you are skilled enough , to NZ standards , for the job.

However, nothing is written in stone Coglan99. You may be offered a job within the plumbing trade. NZIS might not consider your quals quite up to standard and they will STILL offer you a work visa because of the shortage. They would simply add provisos and extra terms to the conditions of your visa.

The NZ government board that assesses ALL overseas qualifications and experience, including UK ones, is called the PGDB. Plumbing , gasfitting and drainlayers board of NewZealand.

You will need to send certified copies of your UK qualifications and proof of your work experience within the trade to them , together with a fee.
They will assess your details and send you a letter stating one of two things.

1] Your UK qualifications are partway recognised towards NZ plumbing registration.

2] Your UK qualifications are not enough towards NZ registration and they would require you to undergo further training in NZ.

Either way, you will get a letter back stating their assessment of your UK quals.

NZIS , the immigration service , will want to see this when you apply for your work visa.

For [1] above, your UK qualifications would need to be assessed to a level 4 standard. That's an NVQ 4 or C&G certificates 1 and 2 , or standard and advanced. Proof of UK training i.e. a 4 year apprenticeship or similar will be favoured. They also prefer about 5 yeras on the tools.

Anything less will probably come back as needing further NZ training.

Along with the PGDB assessment , you will need a job offer in order for a work visa to be issued by NZIS.

An NZ employer CAN offer you work within the plumbing trade provided they are prepared to vouch for your work You cannot work on plumbing ,gas or drainlaying in NZ without a licence. If an NZ employer offers you work, both they and you must apply to the PGDB for a Limited Licence. This means you can work within the plumbing trade . It's the sort of licence issued to final year apprentices or labourers .
It doesn't mean that you are recognised as a qualified plumber in New Zealand. It simply means your work will be supervised and signed off by an NZ registered plumber. Whater --- it still means you can work within the trade. Of course, the pay will be less because you would be on a limited licence.

Remember that if the qualifications don't come back as assessed at level 4, then NZIS might state that you cannot apply for a work visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. That doesn't mean that you cannot get and be offered a job within the trade. You can !
If you are offered a job, but its not under the skilled migrant category, then the employer must prove to NZIS that there is no New Zealander that could fill that position. They do that with proof of ads etc. Once they prove this to NZIS, you would get an Approval to Work in Principle and could still obtain that work visa. As I said , plumbing is on the Long term shortages list. They need the skill here.

So -

1] Get your UK quals assessed by the PGDB
2] Gain an NZ job offer within the plumbing trade
3] Apply for the PGDB limited licence.
4] Bang in the visa application to NZIS under SMC or otherwise
5] Await a positive outcome and buy your plane ticket.

Can you please get back to me to let me know that you have seen this post.

Ta!

edited... flip that was a long post.... phew.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 22nd 2007 at 9:01 pm. Reason: edited to beg for karma LOL
Old Feb 22nd 2007, 9:59 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
flip that was a long post.... phew.
Bevs! Dood! That is the most informative post I've seen on the forum yet. Big up to your karma for sooper helpfulness.

Good luck Coglan99. Who needs Emigration agents?! BEP *rocks*
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 8:40 pm
NZ for me

whyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to allwhyleric is a name known to all

BEVS......great info!!! I am also a plumber, but I am only recently qualified so don't have much experience. I have my Level 1 and 2 City & Guilds Certificates and just trying to get started in the trade.

My plan is to emigrate within the next 5 years, after I have built up some experience and before my eldest starts secondary school. Top of the list is New Zealand for me, although the missus doesn't fancy it being warm at Christmas. Thats why Canada is still in the running. Oz isn't out of the picture either.

I'm still at the research stage, but just wanted to introduce myself and compliment you all on such a great website and friendly community.

Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Loxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really niceLoxley is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Perhaps you'd like to tell me what quals and work exp. you have, and I'll be better able to tell you what you can do to work in this lovely country.

First --- It is a firm full-time job offer first and then a work visa/permit is issued. Not the other way around.

Plumbing is on the Long Term Shortages list.
This means that an NZ employer can offer you work without having to prove to the NZIS, New Zealand Immigration Service, that there is no New Zealander that can take the job.
So, in theory , any New Zealand employer can offer you a job within the plumbing trade.

With the plumbing trade being on the Long Term Shortages list, this means you can apply for a work visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. SMC.
However it is not enough for an NZ plumbing employer to simply offer you a job within the trade , you also have to prove to the Immigration Service - NZIS - that you actually have the skills and experience for the work.

So - for NZIS to issue a work visa to you, you must
1] get a job offer
2] satisfy NZIS that you are skilled enough , to NZ standards , for the job.

However, nothing is written in stone Coglan99. You may be offered a job within the plumbing trade. NZIS might not consider your quals quite up to standard and they will STILL offer you a work visa because of the shortage. They would simply add provisos and extra terms to the conditions of your visa.

The NZ government board that assesses ALL overseas qualifications and experience, including UK ones, is called the PGDB. Plumbing , gasfitting and drainlayers board of NewZealand.

You will need to send certified copies of your UK qualifications and proof of your work experience within the trade to them , together with a fee.
They will assess your details and send you a letter stating one of two things.

1] Your UK qualifications are partway recognised towards NZ plumbing registration.

2] Your UK qualifications are not enough towards NZ registration and they would require you to undergo further training in NZ.

Either way, you will get a letter back stating their assessment of your UK quals.

NZIS , the immigration service , will want to see this when you apply for your work visa.

For [1] above, your UK qualifications would need to be assessed to a level 4 standard. That's an NVQ 4 or C&G certificates 1 and 2 , or standard and advanced. Proof of UK training i.e. a 4 year apprenticeship or similar will be favoured. They also prefer about 5 yeras on the tools.

Anything less will probably come back as needing further NZ training.

Along with the PGDB assessment , you will need a job offer in order for a work visa to be issued by NZIS.

An NZ employer CAN offer you work within the plumbing trade provided they are prepared to vouch for your work You cannot work on plumbing ,gas or drainlaying in NZ without a licence. If an NZ employer offers you work, both they and you must apply to the PGDB for a Limited Licence. This means you can work within the plumbing trade . It's the sort of licence issued to final year apprentices or labourers .
It doesn't mean that you are recognised as a qualified plumber in New Zealand. It simply means your work will be supervised and signed off by an NZ registered plumber. Whater --- it still means you can work within the trade. Of course, the pay will be less because you would be on a limited licence.

Remember that if the qualifications don't come back as assessed at level 4, then NZIS might state that you cannot apply for a work visa under the Skilled Migrant Category. That doesn't mean that you cannot get and be offered a job within the trade. You can !
If you are offered a job, but its not under the skilled migrant category, then the employer must prove to NZIS that there is no New Zealander that could fill that position. They do that with proof of ads etc. Once they prove this to NZIS, you would get an Approval to Work in Principle and could still obtain that work visa. As I said , plumbing is on the Long term shortages list. They need the skill here.

So -

1] Get your UK quals assessed by the PGDB
2] Gain an NZ job offer within the plumbing trade
3] Apply for the PGDB limited licence.
4] Bang in the visa application to NZIS under SMC or otherwise
5] Await a positive outcome and buy your plane ticket.

Can you please get back to me to let me know that you have seen this post.

Ta!

edited... flip that was a long post.... phew.
Well done as usual Bevs.
Just thought I'd let you know, my City & Guilds are from 1970 something and NZIS accepted them without being assessed.
Keep up the good work girl.