Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Plumbers....I need some advice

Plumbers....I need some advice

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all
Default Plumbers....I need some advice

Having just about gone unconditional on our first NZ house the wife and I would like to see about getting a new bathroom suite fitted as the one thats currently in the property is less than ideal. The new suite would involve moving a few bits about, and I understand that if I move the toilet waste I have to get the work inspected and signed off.

The main question is can you (the average bloke on the street) move bits like the bath and the vanity unit about without the above mentioned permits/inspections and is the use of speedfit parts acceptable in NZ or would it not be signed off by the inspector if speedfit was used?

Thanks for any replies
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 4:29 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plumbers....I need some advice

Personally, (and having worked on bunged up aircraft toilet systems) I'd get the professional in for the waste pipe, then do the rest and never speak of it again!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:58 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap
Having just about gone unconditional on our first NZ house the wife and I would like to see about getting a new bathroom suite fitted as the one thats currently in the property is less than ideal. The new suite would involve moving a few bits about, and I understand that if I move the toilet waste I have to get the work inspected and signed off.

The main question is can you (the average bloke on the street) move bits like the bath and the vanity unit about without the above mentioned permits/inspections and is the use of speedfit parts acceptable in NZ or would it not be signed off by the inspector if speedfit was used?

Thanks for any replies
Interesting questions as to what is deemed 'legal' or just 'frowned' upon in any country. Let us know the answers you come up with. People would let you believe electrical alterations in the UK can only be carried out by an 'authorised person' when this is not entirely true only partially. Getting the whole truth is a more complex matter. Sounds as though you have done some before..........
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap

Thanks for any replies
You will need building consent if it is anything more than maintenance of replacing like for like. So if you are moving a bog to another location in the bathroom strictly speaking it needs consent. Having said that I had a plumber pull out a crap shower and replace it will a bath. There was no movement of any pipes or the waste and the plumber did it without consent..I did not know about the consent then. I later rang the building dept of the local counci and they told me not to worry about it. But I guess under the current guidelines it should have had consent. That would have cost me about $500 I think. Maybe that is why so few people bother aye? I understand it is illegal to ought to do with gas or leccy over here unless you have the correct NZ certs.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Yes I have re plumbed a few bathrooms using speedfit connectors back in the UK, but don't know all the rules surrounding what can and can not be done in NZ. I'l get on to the council on Monday and find out whats what. I am pretty sure I'll be needing some building consent/inspections as eventually I would like to remove a couple of internal walls as well
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:02 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I find the best place to get the truth as to what is DIY or trade only is from large DIY suppliers like B&Q where they are not protecting their own skills and are making sure you are suitably adept at the being safe on the project in hand.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stormer999
In the UK I find the best place to get the truth as to what is DIY or trade only is from large DIY suppliers...........
Funnily enough I spent 2 hours yesterday running through bathroom and kitchen designs in Placemakers, and quizing the staff about what permits were needed for moving bits about. The general consencus was sewerage moves require building inspections however I was told 'As a Placemakers staff member we would recommend you get the permits but if were my house I would do it slightly differently....hint...hint'. Read as much into that as you wish, but make sure when buying a house in NZ that all works have been approved by the Council.

I did discover plumbers use speedfit over here so thats one hurdle cleared, however it is significantly cheaper to order from Ebay in the UK, even after postage and duty charges.