Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

plumber/gas fitter

plumber/gas fitter

Old Aug 28th 2011, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

pcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to allpcmay10 is a name known to all
Default plumber/gas fitter

hi everyone,looking for advice on getting registered in NZ to work as above,I am fully qualified in plumbing/gas/oil/drainage both domestic and commercial.My family and i have an EOI with 135 points but have heard nothing for several months.I need to boost it with a job offer.We have visited NZ 3 times in the last 5 years and would like to make the move permanent.My wifes only sister lives in West Auckland so that would be where we would be heading.Its up to me now with your help.what i would like is a list of steps to take to get me to be a viable option for a NZ employer,thankyou...
Old Aug 28th 2011, 10:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: plumber/gas fitter

Originally Posted by pcmay10
hi everyone,looking for advice on getting registered in NZ to work as above,I am fully qualified in plumbing/gas/oil/drainage both domestic and commercial.My family and i have an EOI with 135 points but have heard nothing for several months.I need to boost it with a job offer.We have visited NZ 3 times in the last 5 years and would like to make the move permanent.My wifes only sister lives in West Auckland so that would be where we would be heading.Its up to me now with your help.what i would like is a list of steps to take to get me to be a viable option for a NZ employer,thankyou...
Here is a post I made to you previously abut this . Please click the link.

Plumbers/gasfitters are not in shortage in the UK at present so this means that any NZ employer wanting to offer you a job will need to prove to NZIS that there is no NZ resident or citizen that could do that job. The employer would need to show proof of advertising the position and training/apprenticeship records. NZ Immigration don't just rely on what the prospective employer states , they will also conduct a labour market check.

The only thing you can really do at this stage is to have your UK quals and work experience pre-assessed by the PGDB. A positive outcome from this would be that the PGDB state that are eligible to sit the PGDB registration exam and practical tests. This is necessary for NZIS anyway, but it would sort of show an NZ employer that you have potential to attain the NZ plumbing trade standard.

Also note that many NZ employers think it is a visa first before employment can be offered. It will be up to you to persuade them otherwise. In my opinion & it is only an opinion, if you manage to gain a job offer in the plumbing trade and it is accepted by NZIS then you should immediately uplift a temporary work visa to get you here and plumbing. You and your employer would apply for a restricted license ( similar to an apprentice's license) to allow you to work in the trade under supervision.

Out of interest is your OH still pursuing her UK nursing re-registration. Nurses are in shortage here. Previous post about this HERE