Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

Old May 6th 2006, 10:03 am
Just Joined

sheil347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

I Am A Housewife, Married To A Plumber And We Are Desperate To Move To New Zealand, But Cannot Decide Where Will Be Best For Us!we Have Three Children Aged 10,7 And 5, My Husband Is A Plumber And Is Currently Working In A College Teaching Plumbing And Heating Installation. Can You Help Us?we Would Like To Be Close To The Sea, In The Suburbs But Within Easy Commuting Distance To Jobs And Good Schools
Old May 6th 2006, 12:54 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

Originally Posted by sheil347
I Am A Housewife, Married To A Plumber And We Are Desperate To Move To New Zealand, But Cannot Decide Where Will Be Best For Us!we Have Three Children Aged 10,7 And 5, My Husband Is A Plumber And Is Currently Working In A College Teaching Plumbing And Heating Installation. Can You Help Us?we Would Like To Be Close To The Sea, In The Suburbs But Within Easy Commuting Distance To Jobs And Good Schools
Bucklands Beach. Kids can go too Macleans College
Old May 6th 2006, 2:11 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you looked at? To be honest, before we came here it was probably a foregone conclusion that we would end up near the inlaws but we 'played' at looking at different areas and we loved the look of Napier for a long time. However, we ended up in Auckland and I'm really glad. I've got a friend who lives out in the country here and whilst it's lovely it's just not me - I think I'd be scared stiff at night. I grew up in the country but have lived in cities for so long now that I need to know that there are people near me. Have you got a 'wish list'? There are more jobs in Auckland but plumbers (once he's got his registration) are in demand most places so you could probably be quite choosy about where you want to live.

It's warmer up North but we get more rain. It's the equivalent of November now and it was really lovely today. It gets a bit chilly at night though. I can't offer you any info on schools as we don't have kids here but there are lots of threads on here with that info. I haven't been to the South Island yet but I believe it's cheaper to live down there - of course the wages are less too. My favourite place so far is Whangarei. Nothing to do with the city, although it's got everything you need, more a feeling - a relaxedness that's sort of imposed on you.

Have a look at the real estate websites - if you see a house that you like look up the area, www.propertystuff.co.nz do an area profile that's really helpful. Not so many properties but the area profile is useful when you're looking at other websites. Do you know the websites of the real estate agents? It takes time to whittle down areas - don't feel you have to do it immediately.

Anyways, keep asking the questions - lots of people are only too willing to answer them.
Old May 6th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice

If you can I'd try and budget to spend your first couple of months travelling about and having a look at a range of places. You should be able to get a job pretty much anywhere being a plumber, especially if you get properly NZ qualified. If you're bringing cash over to put towards a house you may find the smaller cities more affordable the Auckland/Wellington/Christchurch. Look here for a list of cities and their populations wikipedia

If your husband wants to continue working in education he may well want to get in touch with local colleges and PTEs as well - I'm sure a plumbing instructor would be in demand. Lots of regional colleges around in NZ.
Old May 6th 2006, 9:00 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Another of these enormous questions that unfortunately none of us here can answer!!!!

There are hundreds of places that fit into your criteria.

If you are so set on moving to NZ you must have an idea of where you want to settle?

I know the guy building our house is desperate for all sorts of tradesmen and a plumber will get work anywhere in NZ!
Old May 6th 2006, 9:52 pm
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

In Rachel Hunters bedroom
Old May 6th 2006, 10:46 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
In Rachel Hunters bedroom

No, in Helen Clark's bedroom she will be more grateful
Old May 7th 2006, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Please Tell Me The Best Place To Live In New Zealand

Murrays Bay, North Shore City
Old May 7th 2006, 12:36 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Isn't it hard work to capitalise every word?
Old May 7th 2006, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Capital Idea!

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Isn't it hard work to capitalise every word?
Can’t Say I Really Know About That, But I Suppose You Are Right!
Old May 7th 2006, 4:39 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K9s
<<Shudder>>
Old May 7th 2006, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Hi shiel347

we have been in Hawkes Bay now for 8 months and love it.

the decision was made by the job I took - I started applying and as each came up my wife looked them up on the web and we made the final decision from considering all things together - schools, housing, weather etc.

There is a lot of information out there on the web and on this and other forums just keep looking and asking.

Are you desperate to get to new zealand or just desperate to get out of the UK ?

I think it is probably a good idea to decide what it is you do not like about where you are and what you are looking for, and then when you get here you can decide if you have found it.( hope that makes sense )

peter

ps - hello out there, this is my first post here - should go and do a profile now I suppose.
Old May 7th 2006, 4:51 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K9s
Whats the difference between Helen Clark and a rottweiler?

Ever seen a rottweiler wearing lipstick?
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

RodandEm is an unknown quantity at this point

anyone else have any recommendations please ?

thanks

Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Dawn Clair is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sheil347,

I have just returned from New Zealand after living there for the last 5 years. I lived in Rotorua for a years and Auckland for four years, they are both great places, although Auckland has much more to offer, city life, great schools and not far to beaches. I lived in Titirangi in West Auckland, very near Piha beach, a wonderful place.

Dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.