Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Please Please Please help........

Please Please Please help........

Old May 2nd 2007, 7:46 am
The Levy's are coming!!!!

Sal41 will become famous soon enoughSal41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Please Please Please help........

Ok this is what I have found on the MAF site...................clear as mud ooh no thats not allowed

Goods that the Quarantine Service has an interest in include:

Wooden items
Gardening Equipment
Lawn Mowers and Catchers
Foodstuffs
Medicines
Cane furniture
Bicycles
Golf clubs and buggies
Sporting shoes and equipment
Vacuum cleaners with un-emptied dust bags
Ornaments and curios containing skin or feathers
Christmas decorations
Dried flowers and seeds
Equipment/medicines used with horses or other animals
Used Vehicles

Please note these items are NOT necessarily prohibited, they require inspection. In many instances a declaration as to the state of manufacture may lift this requirement. Our inspections are generally to determine cleanliness and the presence or otherwise of insects or prohibited items

Hope this helps

loadsa luv
Sal
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:06 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

We brought my daughter's saddle & hessian covered saddle stand. Cleaned the saddle so it was spotless, didn't have time to clean the saddle stand. Declared both but MAF required the saddle to be fumigated (cost $100) but let the saddle stand through full of horse hair so in hindsight we wish we'd chucked a lot more stuff in our container rather than give away, sold for nothing or just dumped.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The worry with wicker from MAF's pov is that insects and larvae can live inside the canes and emerge once in NZ. But I think this applies more to the souvenir from Africa than the hamper from F&M. I found MAF very hlpful when I emailed them from the UK asking about animal skins (which are allowed if properly treated, despite what movers may tell you), so I would advise contacting them via their website with a good description of the item.
I think the moving companies err very heavily on the side of caution because they don't want any hassle - or expense if they're charging a fixed fee for MAF and customs. I would take what they say with some caution, and definitely get an opinion from MAF.
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

zoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant futurezoej has a brilliant future

Yes, this topic has just came to me desk! A form for customs! i am panicking slightly as my wedding bouquet has been dried and mounted and it obviously is all dried flowers etc!

I have also a large list from kids push bikes, to sea grass laundry baskets, my son's microscope kit with insect, seed and animal fibre samples to my camel skin handbag I got on holiday! arghh....

Make a list and email i think!!!

I have already off loaded loads of gardening stuff, old gold clubs, etc.

Are any food items allowed at all? i.e homemade marmalade/mince meat. tins of stuff and vimto cordial??? I suspect the fruit isn't!
Old May 2nd 2007, 8:56 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoej
Yes, this topic has just came to me desk! A form for customs! i am panicking slightly as my wedding bouquet has been dried and mounted and it obviously is all dried flowers etc!

I have also a large list from kids push bikes, to sea grass laundry baskets, my son's microscope kit with insect, seed and animal fibre samples to my camel skin handbag I got on holiday! arghh....

Make a list and email i think!!!

I have already off loaded loads of gardening stuff, old gold clubs, etc.

Are any food items allowed at all? i.e homemade marmalade/mince meat. tins of stuff and vimto cordial??? I suspect the fruit isn't!
Again, we've been told recently by all containers companies we've had quotes from that no food, dried, tinned or otherwise is allowed. And also no chemicals, ie cleaning products. But then I'm sure there are others on here who have done it and will tell you different!