Reload this Page >

Please List Positives (ONLY) of New Zealand

Please List Positives (ONLY) of New Zealand

Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:07 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please List Positives (ONLY) of New Zealand

Originally Posted by mazi
You feeling ok?!

And I only mentioned the reggae scene as being good, not all Kiwi music!

(Where's the winking smiley?)
Is there any other type of music in this dubscape that is Aotearoa? Check out Conerstone Roots, Fat Freddies, Trinity Roots, Black Seeds and my favorite Unity Pacific.

Thanks everyone for your responses, Marlborough is exactly the picture of New Zealand we had in our mind before we came here and we feel very blessed.

Have a great weekend!

Stephen and Melissa
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Is there any other type of music in this dubscape that is Aotearoa? Check out Conerstone Roots LOVE, Fat FreddiesLOVE, saw in London last year, Trinity RootsLOVE, Black Seedsdon't mind and my favorite Unity Pacificdon't know.

Thanks everyone for your responses, Marlborough is exactly the picture of New Zealand we had in our mind before we came here and we feel very blessed.

Have a great weekend!

Stephen and Melissa
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Is there any other type of music in this dubscape that is Aotearoa? Check out Conerstone Roots, Fat Freddies, Trinity Roots, Black Seeds and my favorite Unity Pacific.

Have a great weekend!

Stephen and Melissa
Have you been to the Soundsplash in Raglan? very cool festival. last year we saw Katchafire (of course, why else would I go?!) and Third World who were magnificent in their dotage. Bloomin' brilliant.

Oh and D Dub were pretty good too.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:17 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you been to the Soundsplash in Raglan? very cool festival. last year we saw Katchafire (of course, why else would I go?!) and Third World who were magnificent in their dotage. Bloomin' brilliant.

Oh and D Dub were pretty good too.
OMG!!! Are Fat Freddies a band who may have toured Internationally??? Are they quite a large (number, not size) funk/soul/jazz/doubrie group???????

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jan 18th 2007 at 10:18 pm. Reason: keyboard playing silly buggers tis not the wine I swear?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
OMG!!! Are Fat Freddies a band who may have toured Internationally??? Are they quite a large (number, not size) funk/soul/jazz/doubrie group???????
Pardon? can you repeat?!

Katchafire (I may have mentioned them) also toured internationally - they have become world famous outside of NZ due to my tireless promotion of their music.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

That sounds like them! And they are currently one of Elton John's favourite bands!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:23 pm

Pardon? can you repeat?!

Katchafire (I may have mentioned them) also toured internationally - they have become world famous outside of NZ due to my tireless promotion of their music.
Our local "Inbred Weekly" paper had a NZ band touring playing in Newquay, sadly we were a day behind when we got it, but they sounded cool. Think it may have been these Obese Fred type people. They were quite an outfit and didn't seem to fit any particular genre? Trying to place who it was so can sample some in advance?!

By the way ... how's Italy?
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by dlmckay
That sounds like them! And they are currently one of Elton John's favourite bands!
Yay!!! Result!! Shal "Google" them and make educated decision about being a follower. After all Robbie Williams can't appear to find NZ on his "World" map for tours! Which as far as Hubby is concerned is reason alone to go there!!

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jan 18th 2007 at 10:25 pm. Reason: Slightly pickled!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:25 pm
Account Closed

Our local "Inbred Weekly" paper had a NZ band touring playing in Newquay, sadly we were a day behind when we got it, but they sounded cool. Think it may have been these Obese Fred type people. They were quite an outfit and didn't seem to fit any particular genre? Trying to place who it was so can sample some in advance?!

By the way ... how's Italy?
yes I think it was probably them - kind of got an acid jazz vibe to them but yes, hard to categorise.

Italy is cool but red tape today has been a bloody nuisance.

'Ernie' is a particularly good song.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:26 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
Hi Littletoe,

Thanks for that.

We will apply for childrens citizenship and NZ passports before we go and I will get my visa there as it seems to be a lot cheaper to do it in NZ. Do you know how long it takes to get the childrens passports? Also I am worried about the schooling in New Zealand, have you any thoughts on that?

I have been a few times to NZ and I am sure my wee girls will love it. Think I just want to go now - the storms these last couple of weeks might have had something to do with that

Hello again

It takes an official 20 days for the citizenship (apprantly can't be any sooner because of legal requirements) and at the moment they reckon 7 days for the passport but you can pay extra for an express service which takes 3 days. Be careful about ensuring all paperwork is filled in correctly. Just had an issue where the Health Visitor had signed everything but forgot to put Jessie's name in, my husband wrote it and it invalidated the form, she had to write it all again, bit of a delay.

My husband went to rangitoto college (North Shore, Auckland) one of the most sort after schools. He went on to get Masters. There is so much trouble with our own education system in England. My husband's education was so much more broad that mine, and I was educated in a private school! He's not experienced any trouble. Just as a precautionary measure though, we're going to employ a private tutor for out of hours assistance though. Sorry, had a bit to drink this evening, hope this makes sense! Hope you're excited about the move, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to PM or message me!

Nikki x
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dlmckay
And they are currently one of Elton John's favourite bands!
Gone off them now.
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

"Fat Freddys Drop" awesome wellington band. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_freddys_drop. Actually wellington has a whole pile of talented musicians that turn up in each others bands... Check out this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_My_Pretties.
The Black Seeds are great too.
I do think that you can't beat Salmonella Dub on a hot summers day =)
Old Jan 18th 2007, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12
"Fat Freddys Drop" awesome wellington band. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_freddys_drop. Actually wellington has a whole pile of talented musicians that turn up in each others bands... Check out this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly_My_Pretties.
Apple ... Who wants Salmonella on a hot day/cold day???!!!

Yay!!! It's them ... they came to Cornwall ... Result!!! (Desperado?!) Head for the hills, retreat, go home ... etc, etc, etc!!!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12
OMG, have new crush, lead singer Fat Freddys Drop on You Tube, "Wandering Eye" ... as you can imagine hubby is thrilled have got over my Robbie/Johnny Depp crush and "matured" ... like a good wine?!
Old Jan 18th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

After all Robbie Williams can't appear to find NZ on his "World" map for tours! Which as far as Hubby is concerned is reason alone to go there!!
Sorry to burst Hubby's bubble, but Robbie's been here. He did a fantastic concert (similar to the Knebworth one) in 2003/4 (forget which) which Duran Duran and has an arm devoted to maori style tatooing...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.