Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Please help with advice with rental problem

Please help with advice with rental problem

Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Binks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help with advice with rental problem

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on my predicament. I have been renting a house on a 'one year fixed term tenancy' which ends in February 2011. It has been difficult because my hubby has not moved to NZ yet, due to an accident he had, so I have been in NZ with my son who has been doing a course here which he has now completed. He is now going back to the UK. This of course leaves me in NZ alone. Well, I panicked and said to my landlady (who is great) that I thought I would be going back to the UK in one month, about the middle of Dec 2011 and would it be a problem if I were to leave before the tenancy finished. She said that was no problem and asked if her agent could show prospective tenants around.
The Agent then arranged to bring someone around that very afternoon and they really liked the place. He then, unknown to me, signed and sealed it for them to move in on the 16th Dec.
After long talks with my hubby. We decided that if I went back to the Uk now with my son, dog and cat (which we can simply can't afford) that we would never make the move to NZ again and that we still want to be here. I then rang landlady straight away and asked her if it was a problem if I stayed on until the end of my tenancy - again she said it was not a problem. She then rang the agent and found he had signed up the prospective tenants to move in on 16th Dec. I rang the agent and he said I would have to be out by then or otherwise the tenants would want money for wasting their time. He had known for a week that I didn't want to leave but hadn't even told the prospective tenants. Does anyone know what I can do. I want to stay, I can't afford to fly all to the Uk, I can't find another rental that will take a dog and a cat. I am really scared that I will be alone and homeless on the 16th Dec. Sorry this has been such a tedious post. Liz
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:55 am
Just Joined

gunsterpooks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help with advice with rental problem

Really sorry to hear that, it sounds awful! Where abouts are you?

Have you tried the local citizens advice bureaux? They should be able to give you some advice about your legal rights. My thoughts would be that you didn't give written notice to leave so your tenancy agreement should still stand, but I wouldn't be able to say that for sure.

Are you looking for another long term rental or just something short term?

Let me know the area, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. I have seen a few places that allow pets.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:23 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Binks
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on my predicament. I have been renting a house on a 'one year fixed term tenancy' which ends in February 2011. It has been difficult because my hubby has not moved to NZ yet, due to an accident he had, so I have been in NZ with my son who has been doing a course here which he has now completed. He is now going back to the UK. This of course leaves me in NZ alone. Well, I panicked and said to my landlady (who is great) that I thought I would be going back to the UK in one month, about the middle of Dec 2011 and would it be a problem if I were to leave before the tenancy finished. She said that was no problem and asked if her agent could show prospective tenants around.
The Agent then arranged to bring someone around that very afternoon and they really liked the place. He then, unknown to me, signed and sealed it for them to move in on the 16th Dec.
After long talks with my hubby. We decided that if I went back to the Uk now with my son, dog and cat (which we can simply can't afford) that we would never make the move to NZ again and that we still want to be here. I then rang landlady straight away and asked her if it was a problem if I stayed on until the end of my tenancy - again she said it was not a problem. She then rang the agent and found he had signed up the prospective tenants to move in on 16th Dec. I rang the agent and he said I would have to be out by then or otherwise the tenants would want money for wasting their time. He had known for a week that I didn't want to leave but hadn't even told the prospective tenants. Does anyone know what I can do. I want to stay, I can't afford to fly all to the Uk, I can't find another rental that will take a dog and a cat. I am really scared that I will be alone and homeless on the 16th Dec. Sorry this has been such a tedious post. Liz
You have a contract that ends in February......end of story. Sit tight, there's nothing they can do as you haven't written anything down or signed anything to the contrary.

If you need help, try here
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sirplug
You have a contract that ends in February......end of story. Sit tight, there's nothing they can do as you haven't written anything down or signed anything to the contrary.

If you need help, try here
Agree - she doesn't have to release you early if she doesn't want to, nor do you have to go until the date in writing. You have signed nothing to undo your fixed contract that I can see. The problem is that if you decide you want to renew it, she may get difficult unless she is happy to sign you up again for another fixed period 'as the devil she knows'.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for answering me. I took a deep breath today and rang the agent and said that I would not, could not move out. He is showing the prospective tenants around another property this afternoon. Hopefully they will like that and I can be spared any more hassle. I should know tomorrow what the outcome of that is. Thank you again for your votes of confidence.
Liz x Oh by the way I am in Tauranga.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 9:51 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

No it end as all ready said !!!!fixed is fixed did you put this in writting at all? if not you are coverd PM me would love to give you a call .Lin
Old Dec 1st 2010, 5:51 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

Thats why there are such things as a Tenancy Tribunal, but you had a signed contract, thats ag good as it gets, now if you pulled out , it would have been a different story, that agent would have been baying for blood, also there is a place where you log the BOND $, try them as well. Stck to your guns, the agents are cocky buggers and think you wont do it or stnd up to them, stand firm and dontlet the buggers try and push you.
Old Dec 1st 2010, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

alec_lawton will become famous soon enough

Kiwis are great at screwing something up then attempting to make it your problem: don't engage.

You have not given your landlady written notice.
The agent has jumped the gun. His problem. Entirely his problem.

IF - he attempts the blackmail routine and attempts to extort anything from you or the landlady - then notify the Regulator (and probably the police)- yes NZ has one of those now and string the little sod up. QED. This is the holiday season so there is no reason to be stressed, hassled, or otherwise bothered by some jumped up little Hitler.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your situation but i wouldn,t want a property empty you cant blame the landlord for trying to protect there income, having said that i,m glad it,s worked out for you

Neil
Old Dec 5th 2010, 5:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Sorry for your situation but i wouldn,t want a property empty you cant blame the landlord for trying to protect there income, having said that i,m glad it,s worked out for you

Neil
Hi Jo how did you go on with the new place you went to look at ? will give you a call.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Please help with advice with rental problem

Thank you all for your comments and especially Linda for your help. I love the new rental I went to look at and I move in on the 29th of December! Things obviously do happen for a reason. The new house is by the beach, welcomes my dog and cat and the neighbours seem lovely. I am really looking forward to summer now and my hubby coming out to NZ in January.

Merry Christmas everyone

Liz x
Old Dec 6th 2010, 8:05 am
Account Closed

Thank you all for your comments and especially Linda for your help. I love the new rental I went to look at and I move in on the 29th of December! Things obviously do happen for a reason. The new house is by the beach, welcomes my dog and cat and the neighbours seem lovely. I am really looking forward to summer now and my hubby coming out to NZ in January.

Merry Christmas everyone

Liz x
Hi Its worked out for the best!!!hope you now move on best of luck to you both and you can now move forward you have both been apart far to long
Have lots of nice long walks with the dog on the beach Jan is now not too long.
Happy Christmas
xx