Please help!!!!!!

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

CatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the rough
Default Please help!!!!!!

Ok.... I have spent the last 3 hours reading post which are very informative but some post are worrying me as we have our heart set on moving to New Zealand.
I wonder if anybody could give me an insight into areas...this is what we ideally want:
To move to North Shore, and in an area not run by 'gangs', ( we want a clean friendly place to live) where there are ex pats, rural area very close by to the beach, with a good standard of living.
Thanks xxx
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:14 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help!!!!!!

Originally Posted by CatherineL
Ok.... I have spent the last 3 hours reading post which are very informative but some post are worrying me as we have our heart set on moving to New Zealand.
I wonder if anybody could give me an insight into areas...this is what we ideally want:
To move to North Shore, and in an area not run by 'gangs', ( we want a clean friendly place to live) where there are ex pats, rural area very close by to the beach, with a good standard of living.
Thanks xxx
Hi there and welcome.

There are plenty of expats in the North Shore, what nationality would you like: South African, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, British, Irish, Dutch, American....?

Sorry but I don't think it has any rural areas close to the beach as that would be prime land for development and rural is in pretty short supply anyway (if you look at google earth or satellite you'll see what I mean) The most rural close to sea I can think of is Okura, and Silverdale which isn't really North Shore.

Anyone?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:21 am
Just Joined

RickAlbany is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks xxx
I wouldnt say anyway on the shore was run by gangs lol, from what you say I would recommend Browns Bay or Torbay area, few beaches to pick from and only a stones throw from rural areas
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

a few beer bottles after a warm saturday night and a few loud exhausts is the worst I have seen in Browns/Torbay 5 mins to open countryside all the amenities you want on your doorstep and lots of lovely beaches, and a real cafe culture does that sell it!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:22 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

But rural they're not.

NS's cafe culture is ok, but it doesn't tend to shut-up shop late afternoon

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Jan 24th 2011 at 3:24 am.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Tranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond reputeTranmere Rover has a reputation beyond repute

Why have you decided on the North Shore, out of interest?
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to meet some kiwis eventually you know.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks xxx
How close to the beach do you consider 'very' close? 10 minutes walk or ten or 20 minutes drive? You need to decide rural over beach because I don't know of anywhere that the two go hand in hand.

Rural(ish) areas on North Shore / Rodney boundaries would be Dairy Flat, Riverhead, Coatesville, parts of Albany, Kumeu - all probably within 20 minutes drive to a beach.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:48 am
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Hi there and welcome.

There are plenty of expats in the North Shore, what nationality would you like: South African, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, British, Irish, Dutch, American....?

Sorry but I don't think it has any rural areas close to the beach as that would be prime land for development and rural is in pretty short supply anyway (if you look at google earth or satellite you'll see what I mean) The most rural close to sea I can think of is Okura, and Silverdale which isn't really North Shore.

Anyone?
iused to stay in Okura... my ILs still do... all very nice looking dut you cant walk inthe water there the shell fish are to sharp on the feet.. you cant fish there as its a marine sanctury.. if your an artist (the brush and paint type not the bottle type) your love it
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:54 am
Banned

kmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant futurekmthor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
How close to the beach do you consider 'very' close? 10 minutes walk or ten or 20 minutes drive? You need to decide rural over beach because I don't know of anywhere that the two go hand in hand.

Rural(ish) areas on North Shore / Rodney boundaries would be Dairy Flat, Riverhead, Coatesville, parts of Albany, Kumeu - all probably within 20 minutes drive to a beach.
this is more like what they want i reckon... i used to have 5 aches by riverhead forest great place but beware of the wind.. it was just over 20KM as the crow flies to the sea and we used to get sea spray on the windows

could also look at helensville
Old Jan 24th 2011, 9:13 am
Banned

Why Helensville? that's ages away from North Shore.

If you're going out west Kumeu and Taupaki are better options, but they're not exactly close to the sea. Besides which the west coast beaches are wild places with heavy surf.

You need to decide rural over beach because I don't know of anywhere that the two go hand in hand.
I'm scratching my head over that one too
Old Jan 24th 2011, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

CatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the roughCatherineL is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Why Helensville? that's ages away from North Shore.

If you're going out west Kumeu and Taupaki are better options, but they're not exactly close to the sea. Besides which the west coast beaches are wild places with heavy surf.

I'm scratching my head over that one too
Hi everyone and thank you for taking the time to reply to my message feel much better now after reading your threads. ( I read a few bad threads last night and started to become quite worried).
However, you have all given me some realy good advice, which I will keep in mind and when I speak to the agency I can finally tell them places that I am interested in. Thankyou again x
Old Jan 25th 2011, 12:05 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

To move to North Shore, and in an area not run by 'gangs'
Hmmm, that requires some thought and TBH isn´t easy. Wherever you go on the Shore there will be one or more of:

The power-walking gang - roam the streets singly or in twos.

Dog-walking gang - typically on the beach early but beware, they are banned from certain areas at certain time so go underground for periods.

Barefoot-in-the-supermarket gang, tend to 'mob' supermarkets at busy periods. Watch where you step.

Cafe-friendly gang - setup ambushes in street cafe´s, known to immediately pounce on strangers and engage them in good conversation.

There´s bound to be more but you get the idea. Worst I have seen a gang of teenagers do is have a race chasing a plastic bag that had blown away from their picnic....

Have no fear, you aren´t likely to end up in a Judge Dredd block wars scenario on the Shore.

In contrast to South Auckland, drop below 60kph in some areas and your wheels will be gone....

You are quite likely to be killed or seriously maimed by the ludicrous 'turn-right rule' but thankfully they have decided to do away with that in 2012 so just fingers crossed til then....

PM for more details.....
Old Jan 25th 2011, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi

In contrast to South Auckland, drop below 60kph in some areas and your wheels will be gone....
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:21 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi

Barefoot-in-the-supermarket gang, tend to 'mob' supermarkets at busy periods. Watch where you step.
That'll be me then!

Have you considered Hatfields Beach, Stillwater and Dairy Flat?? All close to the beach (from 2 mins to 20 mins) and quite rural....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.