British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Please help... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/please-help-692105/)

laticsbird Nov 3rd 2010 6:46 pm

Please help...

I'm currently in the long process of applying for PR but would just like to know a couple of things. At the moment, I am extremely run-down (amongst other things) and I have suspected for a while now that I may be suffering from depression. I have two questions: 1. If I went to the doctors and I had it diagnosed as depression would this be a reason to deny me PR? and 2. If the answer to this is no, as I'm a teacher, will any school I apply to in NZ run a mile if I apply?

Thankyou for any help and advice you can give.
L
xx

Genesis Nov 3rd 2010 10:17 pm

Re: Please help...

Originally Posted by laticsbird (Post 8959864)
I'm currently in the long process of applying for PR but would just like to know a couple of things. At the moment, I am extremely run-down (amongst other things) and I have suspected for a while now that I may be suffering from depression. I have two questions: 1. If I went to the doctors and I had it diagnosed as depression would this be a reason to deny me PR? and 2. If the answer to this is no, as I'm a teacher, will any school I apply to in NZ run a mile if I apply?

Thankyou for any help and advice you can give.
L
xx

Who knows? But it isn't a good look unfortunately. It is unlikely to bar you from the NZIS point of view and may well be illegal for a prospective employer to take it against you but what's to say they will not flount said law. Rather than go to the doctors right now why not try St Johns wort..it works for me. I got asked about the D word in a life ins proposal. Unless you are utterly despearte don't get it on your record. Try to have some down time and R an R and get some yoga et al under your belt. Best of luck.

Woodpigeon Nov 4th 2010 1:38 am

Each case is assessed individually, and you'd be best to seek professional immigration advice.

However I have seen cases where INZ have taken the view that so long as a condition isn't likely to cause excessive cost or be detrimental to NZ citizens (e.g. by you needing access a service that would then result in it not being available for others), or to result in any harm coming to anyone there's a chance they'll just record it on your file. Though if it keeps recurring, or treament changes it might result in a permit being revoked at a later date.

No idea regarding the employment aspect, but NZ is working hard at trying to remove the stigma from mental health issues.

Batty Nov 5th 2010 8:38 am

I read an article a while back about this - don't mention depression to an insurance company if you can at all help it - they'll just attribute any complaint (within reason) to it.

pricklykina Nov 5th 2010 9:51 am

I mentioned my depression as i have had meds for it (for insurance purpose) It did have an impact on my cover. But what can you do? Meds made a bug difference for me. I never had sever depression but it helped me gain some traction.
Maybe go so see a counsellor...don't suffer alone...talk talk and talk to people.
There are some great websites that offer support. The main thing is that you get better.

Charismatic Nov 5th 2010 10:23 am

Well firstly do go and get help regardless or things can start to get out of hand quickly, that is the most important bit.

Explain to your doctor that you would like to keep this off your official public medical records for personal/professional reasons before proceeding but as far as I know confidentiality is quite binding between doctor and patient. It shouldn’t be a major problem for such a common condition that usually requires only minor short term treatment. You may need to pay for private consultations and medication to keep it off NHS books but I doubt any doctor would refuse you proper treatment on such a reasonable request*.

Hopefully the beautiful New Zealand countryside, slower pace of life and sunshine will pick you up a bit any way in the long term. The most important thing is not to bugger about too much, it’s very common and readily treatable in most cases.

*Part of the oath Doctors swear is "I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know." :).

shelloid Nov 5th 2010 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Genesis (Post 8960203)
Rather than go to the doctors right now why not try St Johns wort..it works for me.

sorry, just have to jump in here...I'm afraid I can't help with the original question, but if you are on any other medication at all, please DO NOT use St John's Wort. It can reduce the effects of many other meds (anticonvulsants and the oral contraceptive being 2 common classes). Also, the amount of active component can vary drastically between brands, and even between different batches of the same brand (herbal meds aren't regulated in the UK) and so can have unexpected results on other meds.

[/end professional rant]

yjx1nt7 Nov 6th 2010 2:22 pm

I suffered post natal depression after my second son was born . That was 7 yrs ago at my medical the Doctor did ask me alot of questions about it. If I had suffered any bouts of depression during this time till the present time ? He did appear to take this quite seriously.
But please your health comes first if you are depressed it s not worth ignoring how you are feeling As now you have reconised this fact you really need to get advice.

pom4gud Nov 6th 2010 3:09 pm

Hi,

Just wanted to stick up for St John's Wort a little. I'm a health care professional and have seen it work really well for some people.

If you choose to take it just do your research and visit your doctor. Lots of things have drug interaction - pineapple juice and cranberry juice can cause problems for all sorts of meds. Even folate interferes with anti-convulsants (which is why the UK dont fortify cereals with it as they do in the US), but obviously this isn;t something you need to routinely worry about.

I would recommend St John's Wort for mild to moderate depression rather than SSRI antidepressants, but, in consultation with your doctor. Also dont just come off St John;s Wort either, it is powerful stuff and you need to come off it slowly.

Find something that works for you, and talk through your feelings. Daily excercise can be incredibly powerful as well - and lay off the booze;) it's a depressant - or as my granny would say 'it's the pick me up that let's you down'