Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pleasant places to live in New Plymouth

Pleasant places to live in New Plymouth

Old Sep 8th 2015, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

bumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of light
Default Pleasant places to live in New Plymouth

Hello,

Do you live in New Plymouth?!

I have been offered a job in Vogeltown, New Plymouth and am searching for a rental property before we arrive in October.

I have never been there, and wondered if anyone had any tips on the best suburbs to look for?

Ideally I would like somewhere green, quiet, on the edge or 10 minutes into the rural bits.

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks
Heather
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:52 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pleasant places to live in New Plymouth

I think you would be very hard pressed to get a rental whilst out of the country and also not being able to actually see it before you make your official application.
you would be better off going into a serviced apartment or motel/hotel for two weeks to get all your bank accounts sorted and to give you time to personally look around and understand the process and legal ramifications of signing a rental agreement.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

bumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of lightbumblebea is a glorious beacon of light

Hello

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to me thread.
I have contacted some agents out there who are happy to go ahead with coordinating a rental as I have family a couple of hours away who are able to view on my behalf, but as they dont know the area they don't know which suburbs to avoid.
I just wondered which areas I should concentrate my look on? If you have any advice on ghettos to avoid that would be really helpful!
Thank you again
Heather
Old Sep 8th 2015, 10:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, I live in Whanganui, it's about two and a half hours drive from New Plymouth. I've found this thread for you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...ght=Bell+Block

And this:

HeatherGirl is a BE contributor that moved from Hawera, a few kms outside of New Plymouth to New Plymouth.

And this:

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 8th 2015 at 10:24 am. Reason: Found another link
Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Thank you so much for all this information, just what I was hoping for!

Jolly helpful, fingers crossed I will soon be putting a post on october departures!

Heather
Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:40 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome.

Here's another thread. The information might not be relevant to your circumstances but it says, 'New Plymouth' in the thread title !

Here's another:

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 9th 2015 at 11:42 pm. Reason: Found another link
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Have only been to New Plymouth once, but one thing that really struck me was the traffic!! We were staying in the central part of town, and there was heaps of traffic - like an Auckland rush hour... not quite what I had been expecting.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 1:25 am

New Plymouth is great for a picnic on Boxing Day. All that yummy left over cold roast meat etc etc etc. I stop short of packing some Christmas crackers as well. I thought it might be fun to wear a paper hat on the beach on Boxing Day. Nah, better play it safe and put a proper hat on i.e. slip, slop, slap and wrap.

Start off in Pukekura Park then drive to Fitzroy Beach for the rest of the afternoon. It's only a two and a half hour drive back home !

Done that on two or three Boxing Days over the years of living here.

This year we will probably go to a beach nearer home and save ourselves the five hour (why are we doing this ?) round trip. It's still a black sand beach on the South Taranaki Bight. Same ocean too.

Next to no traffic as it's Boxing Day.

The drive there is very nice on a sunny day. We have been known to have second breakfast en route. Hobbits ? Where ?

Followed by a nice picnic and an afternoon on the beach. However, being tired from the drive home can take the shine off a good day out.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 10th 2015 at 1:36 am. Reason: Christmas cracker
Old Oct 7th 2015, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and share your knowledge.
I apologise for my tardy reply too, I did reply at the time but looks like it didn't get submitted.
(Didn't want you thinking I am rude!)
X
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:26 pm

You're not a rude dude so it's all cool.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Naaawh. Thanks!
Fingers crossed we will be there soon-Just had approval for our visas!
X
Old Oct 11th 2015, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We were there last weekend. Pleasant enough town centre - but quite small. Lovely sea front and a very interesting market on the Sunday morning.

Didn't have a chance to really look around the town. Stayed at the Quest serviced apartments and they were excellent; spacious, clean and very reasonably priced.

Gill
Old Oct 11th 2015, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

thanks Gill.
Love a good market!
It's also good to know about the apartments as we may need to find something short term whilst we find a house.
X