Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Plasterer with family in Auckland. best place to settle with family?

Plasterer with family in Auckland. best place to settle with family?

Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:20 am
Just Joined

krystal1306 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plasterer with family in Auckland. best place to settle with family?

Hi, We are just in the process of applying for visa to emigrate to NZ. Husband is a plasterer so his points are good on the visa side. We have family in Auckland, where is the best place for work? And to live? we have three girls age 11,9 and 4. We want to make the move ASAP, we don't want to but a house here in the UK, we want to give it a go out there. What's the work like out there for trades? will he struggle, he's coming over in Nov to stay with family? any help and advice? Thanks
Old Jul 10th 2014, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plasterer with family in Auckland. best place to settle with family?

most tradies are self employed down here.
cant speak for aux but would have thought chch would be the place to head for bulding work.
aux is VERY VERY expensive for either renting or buying, my suggestion would be to look around the country rather than fixate on auckland
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Builder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud ofBuilder UK has much to be proud of
Default Re: Plasterer with family in Auckland. best place to settle with family?

I will inform you on what I know about the plastering trade in NZ.

Your husband will understand the jargon, if he wants to read.

They do not use multi or board finish in New Zealand, hardwall/browning is unheard of, nothing is dot and dabbed either, everything is stud work and drylined with plasterboards.

They do occasionally use a product similar to knauf mp45 (probably made by gib) which if you are unfamiliar with, is used mainly on the continent (Europe) put on at about 8-10mm and finished as one thick coat, but again, this is very rare

The finish is 100% tape and jointing there is no 'skimming' at all, if he can dryline/board to a quick/decent standard he might make a decent wage, I'd say 99% work is boarding and tape and joint.

External work, I saw very little traditional rendering while I was in NZ, I know a little bit of acrylic rendering is getting there and some was going on the wall in Christchurch, probably in Auckland on new builds too, external wall insulation, I'm not sure if that's hitting NZ, they are having trouble with under-insulated housing but whether these expensive external systems have got there, or are worth sticking on a timber framed house I'm not too sure.

I straight away dismissed Auckland, you wouldn't survive in Auckland on plasterers wages alone, I looked at Hamilton and Christchurch.

Be very careful with the Christchurch re-build, it's not all it's cracked up to be, the money is not getting pumped into it as much as they 'advertise' or it would be finished by now, without upsetting folk, the earthquake was a tragedy, but I got the impression the NZ government were dragging their feet with the re-build so they could use it as an 'advert' to get people into the country on false hope/promises

You will also be fighting for site/commercial work with the Chinese/Philipinoe who work long and hard hours and whose work was pretty good from what I saw and heard from various Site managers, you will also be fighting for work with the Maori guys, obviously there are UK expats out there plastering, but the ones I spoke too were asking about the UK construction industry and whether it was picking up.

Wages differ from place to place but a number I kept getting was between NZD$25.00 - NZD$32.50 per hour, so if you were to say NZD$62,500 per year (gross) I don't think you'd be far off, if you were to go on site on price per metre work you might make a bit more putting hard hours and hard graft in.

Hope this helps
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome,
You've had some advice on areas and the working environment. Just a question on the visa. When you say his points are good, do you mean he has over 140 or over 100? I assume he doesn't have a job offer as yet from what you've written.
Having enough points to submit an EOI does not necessarily guarantee success.

I apologise if you already know this