British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Planning a visit... hope to move! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/planning-visit-hope-move-393122/)

Maz Aug 27th 2006 8:35 pm

Planning a visit... hope to move!

Hi all,

I occasionally post in the US forum and the Lounge, but not very often.

I'm currently in the US with my US hubby and UK-US dual citizen (like me) daughter.

For my 40th birthday in January 2008 we're planning a trip to NZ, North Island mostly, we might not have time for South Island as we're only coming for two weeks.

If it were up to me, we'd be moving there by then, but a visit is the only thing that would convince the hubby that it would be the right thing to do.

So just really saying hi. :) I'll be nipping in and out of this forum from time to time. I'm doing ridiculous amounts of research on moving there, though. I did the quick points test and came out at 135. I'm a database developer so I have a wanted skill, which is nice to know. :) Anyone know if hubby *has* to have a needed skill as well (he's a tool and die maker), or if just one of us is OK for that.

I guess I do have questions after all...

Even though we live in the US, would I be better off applying under my UK passport, anyone know? Are Brits more "desirable" for entry to NZ?

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. That happens a lot, be warned... :D

StevieB Aug 29th 2006 12:32 am

Re: Planning a visit... hope to move!

Originally Posted by Maz
Hi all,

I occasionally post in the US forum and the Lounge, but not very often.

I'm currently in the US with my US hubby and UK-US dual citizen (like me) daughter.

For my 40th birthday in January 2008 we're planning a trip to NZ, North Island mostly, we might not have time for South Island as we're only coming for two weeks.

If it were up to me, we'd be moving there by then, but a visit is the only thing that would convince the hubby that it would be the right thing to do.

So just really saying hi. :) I'll be nipping in and out of this forum from time to time. I'm doing ridiculous amounts of research on moving there, though. I did the quick points test and came out at 135. I'm a database developer so I have a wanted skill, which is nice to know. :) Anyone know if hubby *has* to have a needed skill as well (he's a tool and die maker), or if just one of us is OK for that.

I guess I do have questions after all...

Even though we live in the US, would I be better off applying under my UK passport, anyone know? Are Brits more "desirable" for entry to NZ?

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble. That happens a lot, be warned... :D

Hi Maz and welcome

135 points is a good start and you'll probably get selected on that, but 140 points and above is automatic selection and, if you can get a job offer, that will also (so I believe) speed things up - as well as giving you well over 140.

We have just submitted our application for residency and it's all on my wifes qualification and offer of a job as a nurse (150 points on ITA). I have no skill, at least nothing they're after (Investigator and Crime Scene Examiner by trade).

I don't think there is a discernable difference re nationality of applicant, however brit applicants seem to far outway US ones. Better than that I can't help you.

Good luck, keep logging in. You're bound to get more responses soon

Steve

danny.f Aug 29th 2006 8:36 am

Steve-boss job mate-love all that!!

Hi Maz-not too sure how many people have knowledge of applications from US- so really difficult to compare. On the form there was a principal applicant and if thet scored enough points that was it-just so happened we both had exactly the same points,even though she's prettier than me.
Donna is way senior to me in the Health Service but I was still principal applicant because I'm a man-stubborn,fat,and had to do the form filling.
Anyway-look who else can waffle!!!

Good luck to you both, ? see you soon. Danny

Maz Aug 29th 2006 4:26 pm

Hey thanks both! :) Well we've moved up our scheduled visit date to about 11 months from now. We figure it's a good idea to see a place at its "worst". I'm busy collecting contacts through my company. I'm a programmer, but in my company most of the work for that, in that region, has been outsourced to India *sigh* so I might have to switch companies. That would be a shame, as I have a non-contributory pension scheme, among others.

The only reason I thought it might be prudent for me and the littl'un to apply under our UK passports is because the national healthcare coverage is pretty much automatic for Brits and Aussies.

We're all in good health, though, so that's good.

Currently got down to US $1,382 each for the air fare for early-mid July next year - far preferable to the US $2K each!!! Besides, with temperatures well over 100F here for 2 weeks this year, we'll be looking to escape the heat and high humidity...

Thanks again for the comments - good to know that hubby wouldn't necessarily need to be in a desired profession. He's a tool and die maker (mould maker) but would dearly love to be able to not have to work much and just find / start a band and play out a bunch! He has a blues/rock band over here. How's the live music scene in, say, Auckland (probably where we'd end up given my line of work)?