Planning our Trip

Old Oct 31st 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

GILLYB3 will become famous soon enough
Default Planning our Trip

Hello New Zealand et al

We have booked the flights and are coming to New Zealand for a month mid April for our recckie. Where do you think we should start in our plans. We had thought about hiring a camper and travelling around two weeks in North and two weeks in South. We dont know a soul but we are so very excited... can you feel it? but were do we start to plan? anyone got any suggestions?
Anyone got an idea on good camper van firms which will do us a good deal and do we book it in advance or when we get there. Would like to talk to someone about work oppertunites for psychiatric nurse and joiner/builder. Kids will be 6 and 4 when we travel and school oppertunites would need a suss out.
I know there is lots of tips and help out there as I have been reading. Planning a good recckie is my one.

Thanks in ancipation
Old Oct 31st 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice
Default Re: Planning our Trip

Have fun planning your trip!!! Just wanted to suggest perhaps hiring a car and staying at motels/holiday parks on your way round. Most holiday parks have a range of acommodation, from basic cabins (beds and a sink) to units with full kitchen facilities and separate bedrooms. This would give you a bit more flexibility - able to pop to the supermarket without trailing everyone with you or abandoning them in the holiday park - and (having 3 kids myself, aged between 8 and 3) spending a month in a camper van would soon lose it's appeal!! Also, some of the roads in NZ would be 'interesting' in a van but a car could get you everywhere.
As far as where to visit - everywhere!!!!!! The weather might still be fairly reliable in April so I'd try to get right down to Invercargill and up to Bay of Islands and all the places in between! Seriously tho', I'd try and get some idea of where the work is likely to be for yourself/OH and check those places out thoroughly. You can then explore the rest of the country at your leisure when your move here!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

cande has a brilliant futurecande has a brilliant futurecande has a brilliant futurecande has a brilliant futurecande has a brilliant futurecande has a brilliant future

We are going on our recce trip In August next year because of constraints of School holidays (we're going for 5 weeks in total). We looked at motorhome hire but ruled it out on the basis of the time of year. We then looked at Motels due to practicalities of having separate bedroom/lounge/kitchen areas over staying in a hotel. Try 'Golden Chain Motels'. In the end, having fixed flights and stopovers we then focused 2 or 3 bases thus minimising disruption to the kids whilst still seeing a reasonable amount - we're spending 2 weeks in Auckland, 1 week in the Bay of Islands and 1 week in Hawkes Bay. We looked at this website - www.holidayhomes.co.nz - and found that renting a house for a week or 2 in each location is not much more expensive than staying in a motel - this what we are planning to do. Don't know what others have done or might be planning.

Best Wishes
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:37 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by cande
...we're spending 2 weeks in Auckland, 1 week in the Bay of Islands and 1 week in Hawkes Bay. We looked at this website - www.holidayhomes.co.nz - and found that renting a house for a week or 2 in each location is not much more expensive than staying in a motel - this what we are planning to do. Don't know what others have done or might be planning.

Best Wishes
Sounds great!
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

If you want to do this on a budget with kids, then you could always look at chalets at camping grounds such as the Top 10 group.
http://www.top10.co.nz/accommodation_option_rates.html

This is an example of one in Kerikeri, Bay of Islands.
http://www.kerikeritop10.co.nz/KeriK..._ID=6211_.html
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GILLYB3
Hello New Zealand et al

We have booked the flights and are coming to New Zealand for a month mid April for our recckie. Where do you think we should start in our plans. We had thought about hiring a camper and travelling around two weeks in North and two weeks in South. We dont know a soul but we are so very excited... can you feel it? but were do we start to plan? anyone got any suggestions?
Anyone got an idea on good camper van firms which will do us a good deal and do we book it in advance or when we get there. Would like to talk to someone about work oppertunites for psychiatric nurse and joiner/builder. Kids will be 6 and 4 when we travel and school oppertunites would need a suss out.
I know there is lots of tips and help out there as I have been reading. Planning a good recckie is my one.

Thanks in ancipation

Two weeks in each island is not enough to see it all.
We did loads of research before we went on our 5 week recce and decided we liked the sound of the north island over the south, So we spent the 5 weeks traveling the north island and still didnt see all or even half of it.

If you want to get a feel of a place where you think you might like to settle then you need to spend more than a day or two in the area.