Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Planning the move to Wellington!

Planning the move to Wellington!

Old Mar 6th 2008, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

nevertoold... will become famous soon enough
Default Planning the move to Wellington!

I am 45, my partner and I are thinking of moving to Wellington, we had assumed that if we came it would be the south island as we have friends there and we have both visited the island. The thought of leaving the family is still a huge battle within us and we hope that it would be for a better and more fulfilling life. Reading some of the posts have certainly been an eye opener and not quite the reassurance we were hoping for. The alternatives are staying in the UK and that isn't a bed of roses either!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:05 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning the move to Wellington!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I was 50 and my husband 45 when we finally set foot on these shores, so you are never too old to try something new Heck. A chap just left the UK shores with his partner to land on the South Island shores and he is over 100 and his wife is 87 years young. [click the blue type to read the article]

We are in Mapua, near Nelson on the South Island.

Emigrating to a new country is something of a leap of faith & just as with everything we do in life, there are no guarantees.

You'll get all manner of posts to the site. Read all and everything. Do research but make your own minds up. It will be your experience & life and your experience only.

We have been here nearly 4 years and are applying for our NZ passports.

If you are ready for a change and are happy to take the plunge , just come on down.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 9:07 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Welcome ya ol' codger

If you have been here before you are ahead of the game somewhat. Don't be too put off by the doom and gloom contingent and don't think it's all light and beauty either. New Zealand has some ongoing problems that need attention, youth crime, crap driving, low wage high price conundrum, etc... However, there are plenty of good bits that offset a lot of the annoyances.

New Zealand doesn't seem to do urban very well and in my opinion it's the countryside and small towns where New Zealand shines.

Remember, you'll be on a Pacific island and you may well have the opportunity to holiday in exotic locales such as the Cook Islands, Tahiti or New Caledonia. Southeast Asia is only an overnight flight away and Aussie is a three hour flight over the ditch.

If you are adaptable, have a good sense of humour and yes, a measure of resignation, you'll be fine here.

Good luck.

Last edited by happynz; Mar 6th 2008 at 9:10 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2008, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Mr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the roughMr.B is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nevertoold... View Post
I am 45, my partner and I are thinking of moving to Wellington, we had assumed that if we came it would be the south island as we have friends there and we have both visited the island. The thought of leaving the family is still a huge battle within us and we hope that it would be for a better and more fulfilling life. Reading some of the posts have certainly been an eye opener and not quite the reassurance we were hoping for. The alternatives are staying in the UK and that isn't a bed of roses either!
Well I've been here 6 weeks now - arrived from Leeds just after Christmas. I've come here on my own, and my only friend in the country is way up North in Hamilton. So it's difficult sometimes when I think too much about it. But New Zealand is a really friendly place (as you probably know already), and it's easy to make friends. And that's even before I've got involved in any of the forum meet ups here (I've been slack). I'm about to move into an apartment so that will help me to feel less like a nomad.

I guess your decision is based on the usual things about work, money etc, but mainly - how do you define a "better and more fulfilling life"? What things are important to you? Then you can get some thoughts from people here and compare them to the life you have now.

Some of my early thohughts based on 6 weeks in Wellington.
  • some of the adolescents in the city centre can be a bit boisterous. But compared with the adolescents in the UK, it makes me smile. I've yet to see any groups of kids that look genuinely threatening.
  • the sunshine is surprisingly strong. I can't believe how easy it is to get burned.
  • Kiwis do love their sports. The Wellington Sevens is an experience I've recommended to all my mates, for next year.
  • The driving can be frustrating, mainly because on the main roads there are relatively few places to overtake. Also, being used to UK driving speeds, it's too easy to creep over the limit and get nailed by a radar car or speed camera. When I talk to car hire places and car showrooms, and tell them I want a car with cruise control, they all say there's nowhere in NZ where cruise control is
    any use. Don't believe them.