Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Planning the fun bit!!

Planning the fun bit!!

Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Talking Planning the fun bit!!

I want to book the flights in two weeks time, for the 20-30th August. We are stopping over in Los angeles, Auckland And welly (staying with family here) before getting to Dunedin.

I have a four year old daughter and would like some hotel/holiday resort recommendations or fun places to visit in any of the stop overs.

We will have four days in LA (but i dont want to drive)
Four days in Auckland (would drive here!)

I want some fun before work starts so any suggestions or previous experiances welcomed,

Thanks!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:14 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Planning the fun bit!!

Go whale watching in Kaikoura !!!!
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:34 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
We will have four days in LA (but i dont want to drive)

Thanks!
Disneyland is easy enough to arrange along with other theme parks such as Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios. A stroll along Venice Beach is good for people watching.
Oh yeah, since you will be in the States you are gonna have to have a burger. LA institutions like Fat Burger or Tommy's Famous Burger should give you the requisite trans-fat rush. In-n-Out burgers will do as well.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

We took our kids (9, 8 and 2) to Universal Studios and they loved it, we went back the following day as they enjoyed it so much. The hotel we stayed in provided a shuttle bus so no tranport problems.
Te Papa museum in Welly is great, specially on a rainy day - you need full day to do it all though! We've been tons of times and rarely make it past the 2nd floor.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

Originally Posted by donnaf
We took our kids (9, 8 and 2) to Universal Studios and they loved it, we went back the following day as they enjoyed it so much. The hotel we stayed in provided a shuttle bus so no tranport problems.
Thanks,
Which hotel did you stay in? would you recommend it?
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
Disneyland is easy enough to arrange along with other theme parks such as Knott's Berry Farm and Universal Studios. A stroll along Venice Beach is good for people watching.
Oh yeah, since you will be in the States you are gonna have to have a burger. LA institutions like Fat Burger or Tommy's Famous Burger should give you the requisite trans-fat rush. In-n-Out burgers will do as well.
Cant wait! I havent been to America since i was 8 years old so im looking forward to the all you can eat diners and buckets of coke!! (the drink that is)
Old Oct 4th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

I'll check with Danny but I think it was the Beverly Garlands hotel / motel.(I can't remember if it was called a hotel or something else) We liked it there, it was quite small but had a nice restaurant and pool. We had a family room for 5 which was huge and it met our needs. We were only there for 3 days and didn't have a car, they organised airport pick up and drop off for us and they also organised our trip to Universal Studio and we got a decent deal from them. There wasn't much to do around the hotel though, there were a few restaurants in walking distance and some shops. This was also 2 years ago so I don't know if it has changed much, but I said it met our needs at the time.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:24 pm
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by donnaf
Te Papa museum in Welly is great, specially on a rainy day - you need full day to do it all though! We've been tons of times and rarely make it past the 2nd floor.
Ain't that the truth
Old Oct 4th 2007, 10:33 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
Cant wait! I havent been to America since i was 8 years old so im looking forward to the all you can eat diners and buckets of coke!! (the drink that is)

We're flying via LA too, we 're so excited aswell, I went once to LA when I was about 19, I remember the beaches along the Highway 1, that was pretty, Universal was great then, so must be 100% better now, as it was 20 years ago when i was 19!! A walk down the pavement of stars is great for making you really feel like you are in tinsel town. A definite for us is Magic Mountain theme park, loads of roller coasters. We have just booked into a hotel this evening, in Santa Monica, spent 3 hours trawling through sites and reviews, then only to be told a couple of the ones we really fancied were fully booked. So made our decision, its called the Delfina, got it through a hotel booking firm, cheaper than going direct to hotel. If you fancy something different you can stay on the Queen Mary at Long Beach, very very reasonable rates, found that through ebookers site. Hope this gives you some ideas.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Ain't that the truth
We went yesterday and started on the 4th floor - I saw things that we've never seen before! We still had to go to the earthquake house though for the zillionth time - and the shop!
Are you at "work"? see you Sunday