Planning the Big move to NZ

Planning the Big move to NZ

Old Oct 24th 2017, 11:31 am
Just Joined

NZray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning the Big move to NZ

Originally Posted by Northern Man 49
Hi GlynnY81
My wife and I are in the same boat in that we're starting this process. Our daughter is at Uni and looking at finishing her degree there.
We liked Tauranga when we visited a few years back so I get where you're coming from. We'd like to go to the Wellington area (similar family reasons) if we can but what I've seen a lot of is comments about try not to be too picky - what I mean is that you get in and then look to move to Tauranga at a later date. You might have to consider other areas (to be honest Rotarua and Taupo are nice as well) in which to find work. Napier is a pretty cool place to visit as well if you're prepared to look further afield.

I've seen a few threads about the fact you get taxed on every cent and there's no NI. Apparently (I'm sure others will correct if wrong), the medicals include a standard check for syphilis - unless someone's pulling my leg!
I think there are taxes on some things we import (cars, white goods like fridges etc). Not sure if taking a car is worth it tbh but it might depend on its age. I'm sure others will clarify for us.

Most contributors will say that we must do the due diligence and homework; after all it’s a massive challenge and risk with our families so that's our next step. I've already asked about if using an agent is better to help us with immigration, looking for work etc. (The Emigration Group for example) so any comments from any others would be great

Finally, the best of luck to us both in our adventure!
Tauranga has a pretty big housing shortage at the moment so if you are thinking about going there make sure you secure a place !