Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Planned holiday in New Zealand - where to visit?

Planned holiday in New Zealand - where to visit?

Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:15 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Planned holiday in New Zealand - where to visit?

We're thinking of a holiday in New Zealand and wondered what the best itinerary would be for a two week visit. Would consider a self-drive, motorhome trip.

Any suggestions as to 'must see' areas? We're not into clubs or nightlife but are definitely interested in nature and stunning scenery.

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:34 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: Planned holiday in New Zealand - where to visit?

Hi, haven't got time to write much but these are some of the highlights from a 3 week trip we had to both North and South Islands:

Moeraki Boulders

Also somewhere we saw King Penguins - they were amazing! Also saw albatrosses.

Franz Josef/Fox Glaciers - can't remember which was best but we did a walk followed by a boat ride, managed to take our 2 & 4 year olds with us

Doubtful sound and fjords - rest of family went on helicopter ride over mountains - James Bond type stuff

Loved Wellington & Christchurch - car + apartments/motels ok on North Island, Campervan a must on South Island.

Rotorua on North Island was good + all the volcanoes

To be honest there's loads more and I can't wait to go back and see more.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:38 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
We're thinking of a holiday in New Zealand and wondered what the best itinerary would be for a two week visit. Would consider a self-drive, motorhome trip.

Any suggestions as to 'must see' areas? We're not into clubs or nightlife but are definitely interested in nature and stunning scenery.

Maybe a good place to visit would be the New Zealand forum, not the Australian one????
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Queenstown ! It absolutely rocks!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

If you are in Auckland take a ferry to Waiheke Island - great beaches and vineyards half an hour from Auckland.

And I agree - Queenstown rocks!!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Take a look at the Kiwi experience bus website, Although it tends to be for the younger backpackers, it will give you a good idea of the 'best' tourist sites to see. If you want a bus tour, i believe 'magic' bus caters for a slightly more mature clientelle visiting the same sort of areas.

I only toured for two weeks, but in that time saw an amazing amount of scenery of both islands and never felt I was rushed.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Might be better if I move this one over a bit
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

North Island
Bay of Islands, get to see/swim with dolphins, you can do a coach trip up to the very top of the island were you can see the tasmin sea and pacific oceans meet,
Rotura: A must just for the geothermic activarty
i'd also recommend seeing Auckland and Wellington they're cities but not like cities in the UK and have some little gems to offer up

South Island:
Milford sounds just spectacular
Queenstown, so much to see and do there in terms of adventure sports, and the scenery is quite special
Mount Cook and surrounding area:
Kiakora(think thats how you spell it) for Whale watching
Dunedin is where you'll see the albartros
Lake Te Anu is very pretty, you can also do a trip to see the glow worm caves

These are just the places we particulary enjoyed but i'm sure there will be many more suggestions
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:09 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Maybe a good place to visit would be the New Zealand forum, not the Australian one????
Ah yes, didn't think about that. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll have a look at the suggestions.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:25 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Two weeks isn't that long, so it depends where you're flying into and how much travelling you want to do!
Our blog (linked below) has lots of pictures of places in NZ that we've been. Have a browse
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Hi
Definatly would try and check out these places if touring

North Island
Bay of Plenty - Russell- where the Maori / Pakeha treaty was signed
Rotuorua- great scenary especially the Huka Falls
Wellington -Great to see the Parliament building for culture vultures the harbours pretty to .Try and take a trip on the cable car the view from Mount Victoria is awesome on a clear day

South Island
Wanaka is a fav place so pretty
Milford Sound
Queenstown -Glenorchy the beauty of the place has to be seen to be believed highly recommemd a river safari from here awesome