British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Plan B ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/plan-b-600556/)

Denise44 Mar 29th 2009 8:57 am

Plan B ?

I guess Rob and I were having a bit of a downer yesterday about the whole immigration process (and the EWRB in particular:frown:)

Anyway we got to talking about Plan B, you know, what do we do if we don't manage to get to NZ. Because we have set ourselves up for a life change we don't feel that we want to just go back to the status quo, it will make the current general discontent with life here even worse.

So what is plan B ? :confused::(

BEVS Mar 29th 2009 9:30 am

Re: Plan B ?

Um. I don't know.

What is plan B ?

Perry Groves Mar 29th 2009 10:00 am

There's always Canada I guess, that was our plan A at one time (I am a Canada forum escapee!):unsure:

Persephone Mar 29th 2009 10:08 am

My Plan B was to still come to NZ but via a visitors permit , find work and then go for either PR or a temp work permit.
I had a Plan C as well but wasn't sure whether NZIS would go along with that:rofl:

Your Plan B: Keep up the fight and get to NZ or find somewhere else that is easier to get into???
Sometimes NZIS seem to delight in stressing you out, making you demoralised and creating disorder out of what should be easy! Don't take it personally, they do it to everyone:eek:
Chin up
Sue :D

Yummy_Mummy Mar 29th 2009 11:49 am

Our plan B is very like Sue's! Go to NZ anyway, on a Visitors Visa for 3 months, try to get a job offer and apply for a work permit!

If that doesnt work there is always Plan C.... Try for OZ :D (although not my preferred option, i dont like to be toasted alive or nibbled to death by bugs!)

I havent thought about a plan D.... but hopefully one of our plans will work! Well that is providing they dont take IT jobs off the shortage lists! Then we are ****ed! :rofl:

Hopefully you will figure out your plan B,C or D. Good luck :thumbsup:

yorkshire_sparkie Mar 29th 2009 5:30 pm

Are you having trouble with the EWRB?? Whats up - we are just trying to figure out how to go about that one, it's all very complicated I think!!! :sneaky:

Keep fighting - you'll get there :thumbsup:

j19fmm Mar 29th 2009 5:56 pm

Our plan B, should the Court case not go our way in May, is to wait 4 years - I'm sure it'll whizz by :( - then try again.OH hopefully will either be Gas registered or something equally useful. Whatever it is I'm not flipping giving up this time.
Plan C is to wait til DD gets there when she's older and go over as her dependant Mother :rofl:

jmh Mar 29th 2009 6:05 pm

You could try to get to Oz, get citizenship, then go to NZ. Not a quick way of going about it though :unsure:

folic Mar 29th 2009 6:23 pm

Plan-B could be anything, couldn't it ?

For instance, you could move to a different location .. different town in UK, different part of UK .. France, Italy, Spain, Germany for 2 years or whatever ?

Maybe you could arrange a house-swap with people in some place you'd never considered ?

You could decide to take courses in something you'd never considered, with a view to a career change, or operating your own business ?

You could embark on a fitness campaign ?

Or take up orienteering ?

Or save for a couple of months in Greece ?

What did you dream of doing when you were, say, 16 ? Have you fulfilled those dreams .. or even touched them ?

Can you dance well ? If not, you could go to dance lessons once a week.

Play tennis ? You could always learn. Golf too.

Cookery ? Fun, gets you out of the house, meet people and could set you off on a dream of running your own cake-decorating business or little bistro or country-weekender in Scotland or wherever

Plan-B could be anything. And not all would require you to up-sticks and sell your home and change jobs.

Archaeology ?

Family history research ?

Doing up old furniture with a course in upholstery thrown in ?

Emigrating isn't the be all and end all. You still take yourself and your problems wherever you go. The place you move to has problems, just as does wherever you live now. You'll still get older if you emigrate. You'll still have bills to pay, difficult neighbours, boring days and nights, car problems, house maintenance problems, crime problems, political problems, climate problems.

All this promotional blurb about 'having an adventure' in the attempt to attract migrants -- when you could have lots of adventures right where you are.

sparkie down under Mar 29th 2009 6:24 pm

What's the problem with the EWRB? (I was in that same boat).

I'll PM you.

Perry Groves Mar 30th 2009 11:16 pm

I did think about the USA as a plan B, as I have family there, but their economy is up the creek just like here:unsure: