Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Placing a poppy & cross on Anzac Day - Karori Cemetery - Please help

Placing a poppy & cross on Anzac Day - Karori Cemetery - Please help

Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future
Default Placing a poppy & cross on Anzac Day - Karori Cemetery - Please help

Hello Ex Pats. Some time ago I asked for help on this site and the ex pats responded magnificently! We were trying to find out if my Great Grandfather had a grave in Karori as he had been discharged from the British Army on medical grounds - but then went on to join the Anzacs and continue fighting. He lived and died in New Zealand, but he had no other family over there, so we were unsure if he even had a gravestone to find. Not only did the ex pats find the grave - which is beautifully maintained - but they put flowers on it, said a prayer and took photographs. He is in Warriors Walk and the photographs (Richard Cruise, Great War Veteran, Karori) are still up on flickr today. The original thread and story is also still on this site with photos etc. Still brings a tear to my eye when I read them, people were incredibly kind.

Dad has been unwell for some time but had plans to visit New Zealand in April this year for Anzac Day, 25th April (which is also his own birthday). However, he has been precluded from making the journey on health grounds and is so disappointed. He had bought a small wooden cross with a poppy to put on his grandfather's grave.

If we sent the cross with his name and message on would some very kind person please place it on his grandfather's grave in Karori and let us have a photograph? I know this is a lot to ask but it would make Dad so very happy. Thank you so much. Jan

Last edited by lpool; Jan 15th 2013 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anzac Day - Please help

I have moved your thread over to our New Zealand forums...as I think you will get a much better response to your request in here.

Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Placing a poppy & cross on Anzac Day - Karori Cemetery - Please help

Thanks JG

Hi again Lpool. How could any of us forget the quest to find your grt grandfathers resting place & provide a photo .

Here is a link to that THREAD. for those unfamiliar with the story.

I'm not in the Wellington area at all but on the South Island , otherwise I'd have been proud to have done the honours.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that can volunteer for this and be around on or close to the day.

If you remember, I believe that schoolchildren lay flowers on the day as part of the remembrance service.

All the best .
M
Old Jan 15th 2013, 7:33 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Placing a poppy & cross on Anzac Day - Karori Cemetery - Please help

My husband works in Karori so it would be our pleasure to do it for you. Please send me a PM
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

lpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant futurelpool has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anzac Day - Please help

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I have moved your thread over to our New Zealand forums...as I think you will get a much better response to your request in here.

Good luck.
Thank you!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
Thanks JG

Hi again Lpool. How could any of us forget the quest to find your grt grandfathers resting place & provide a photo .

Here is a link to that THREAD. for those unfamiliar with the story.

I'm not in the Wellington area at all but on the South Island , otherwise I'd have been proud to have done the honours.

Hopefully someone will be along soon that can volunteer for this and be around on or close to the day.

If you remember, I believe that schoolchildren lay flowers on the day as part of the remembrance service.

All the best .
M
Hi BEVS

Lovely to hear from you and hope you are well. I still have your lovely messages! BEVS you can see one of the member's husband works at Karori and he is going to put the cross on for us. What an absolutely absolutely amazing forum this is! I was not surprised though. I just knew in my heart that someone would do it. Kind regards Jan x
Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
My husband works in Karori so it would be our pleasure to do it for you. Please send me a PM
Hello and thank you so much! I have sent you a PM.
I remembered from my last thread that your husband worked in Karori and I hoped to hear from you but didn't want to put you in a spot in case he wasn't able to do it.

Thank you so very much!!
Jan