British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Pizza oven help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pizza-oven-help-842714/)

Pom_Chch Sep 8th 2014 8:46 pm

Pizza oven help!

G'day everyone!

Is there anyone out there in the Canterbury area who knows where I may be able to source some materials (of reasonable price) to build a wood fired pizza oven? I've been having a look around the usual places - Bunnings, Mitre 10, landscape places, online stores, Placemakers etc but it seems some items in particular are really expensive, which is putting the overall price up. The items I'm having trouble with are:

- bricks (must be heaps of bricks around post quake - where!?)

- fire bricks

- concrete blocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_masonry_unit)

- concrete slabs (Marshalls Hamilton Utility Paving 600x600mm Grey Single | Wickes.co.uk)

There's lots more on the list but those things are easy to source and inexpensive, just the above things I need some help with!

Much appreciated :)

Woodlea Sep 9th 2014 1:13 am

Re: Pizza oven help!

Musgroves

Never been, but always meant to, always a bit worried that I'll buy loads or crap that I really really don't need!

Good luck!

Woodlea Sep 9th 2014 1:15 am

Otherwise drive round any of the new subdivisions after dark....should be plenty of pavers and blocks available....

Jan n Neil Sep 9th 2014 6:29 am

Had the same problem it looks easier to just buy one

Buschbeck BBQ fireplaces New Zealand, Barbeque Auckland NZ

Neil

Pom_Chch Sep 10th 2014 1:11 am

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll have to check out Musgroves.

Haha, I can just see us cruising around the new subdivisions at night trying to lift pavers and breeze blocks subtly into the car..... move along, nothing to see here :whistle:

Blade Down Under Sep 10th 2014 9:16 am

How can someone not afford to get stuff for their pizza oven yet boast they can save $40,000 a year!

I don't mean to sound nasty but I read a post about affording kids here in this country and saw you mention about your savings. I do find this post a tad hypocritical

Sorry

Pom_Chch Sep 10th 2014 10:40 am

No offence taken BDU, you haven't come across nasty.

I do recall the post you mention. I didn't in anyway want it to come across as boasting about income/money, that's not my style. It was an honest observation and me probably thinking out loud. In hindsight it probably did come across as boastful, which was not my intention.

I'm a strong believer in value for money. A heap of bricks, blocks and pavers seems to be expensive for what it is, which made me think maybe I'm missing something. You know, looking in the wrong place. No one wants to be overcharged for something only later finding out they could have bought it cheaper else where. People usually shop around regardless of income.

Hope you're settling into NZ/OZ life well :thumbup:

Woodlea Sep 10th 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under (Post 11399239)
How can someone not afford to get stuff for their pizza oven yet boast they can save $40,000 a year!

I don't mean to sound nasty but I read a post about affording kids here in this country and saw you mention about your savings. I do find this post a tad hypocritical

Sorry

Probably why she can save $40K a year by not paying $5k for a pile of bricks that make a pizza oven.

But you left wingers probably wouldn't understand that concept, too busy blaming others for 'sponging'.

MrsFychan Sep 10th 2014 8:22 pm

Pon_ChCh - do you have freecycle near you or a local facebook group?

when we had bricks and tyres to get rid of after a garden revamp we posted on freecycle, trademe and the local FB page

there are loads on Trademe - just looked

Mark Smith Sep 10th 2014 11:27 pm

Quite a few self build kits on Trademe.

Pom_Chch Sep 11th 2014 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 11400038)
Probably why she can save $40K a year by not paying $5k for a pile of bricks that make a pizza oven

Nail on the head there, Woodlea!

Oooo TradeMe, why didn't I think of this!? Pizza oven is looking feasible now :)