Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Picton or Blenheim?

Picton or Blenheim?

Old Aug 29th 2015, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of
Default Picton or Blenheim?

Sooo the other half and i are looking at a posible move to Picton is there anyone on here that is in that area? we have been in Auckland for the last 5 years and managed to build a small frindship group over this time, which has been slow coming. i am a bit unsure about having to start this process all over again in such a small place! so would love to here about any thing going on in the area before the move.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 10:53 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picton or Blenheim?

We moved to Marlborough nearly ten years ago now, after starting off in Auckland for two years. We stayed in Picton for six months before work brought us closer to Blenheim and have stayed ever since. We love it.

Picton is beautiful, I really liked living there, we had a house overlooking Waikawa bay, but it was for a short time. Picton is very much a transient tourist town, which during summer gives it a great vibe. But in winter, as it is also a popular retirement town, it can be a bit like an episode of the walking dead.

In regards to making friends, it was not easy, still isn't, but we have a good social scene around us. If you have kids, that will help alot. The pace of life here is pretty relaxed, which can be both a blessing and a curse!
Old Aug 30th 2015, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Sound positive that you have stayed for 10 years my partner has been offered a job in Waikawa so we would likely start off there. im hoping someting may come up in at the hospital or Mental Health unit in Blenheim but would still prob live in Picton. Sadley the kids have grown up and will stay in Auckland, however we are fairly social so will have to push ourslves to find some local clubs or the pub lol thanx again for your responce. Jax
Old Aug 30th 2015, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with Catcha - Picton is very quiet in the winter although a stunning spot when the weather is good. Can have mad days in the summer when up to a couple of thousand tourists arrive on cruise ships - about 20 to 30 times a year.

Worth noting that the climate is often very different there even though it is only 30k north, often damp and dull when Blenheim will be the opposite. The commute can usually be done in twenty minutes, and add thirty seconds for rush hour.

Live in Blenheim and love it. Go fishing & diving out of Picton but think I have the best end of the deal by doing it this way.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Thanx Baz, sounds like your really settled there i havnt ruled out Blenheim yet but i am drawn to the sea lol we are flying down for the weekend and planning on having a scout around both, i currently spend around 2 hours a day in traffic so commuting between Picton and Blenheim should be a breeze. Now just need too get a job!
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 2:33 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by killercat
Thanx Baz, sounds like your really settled there i havnt ruled out Blenheim yet but i am drawn to the sea lol we are flying down for the weekend and planning on having a scout around both, i currently spend around 2 hours a day in traffic so commuting between Picton and Blenheim should be a breeze. Now just need too get a job!
It was weird for us, just coming from Auckland, driving from Picton to Blenheim at "rush hour".

You will drive unimpeded by any traffic lights (in any direction till you hit Nelson or Christchurch!), wave at the occasional car coming in the other direction (you recognise the regulars), marvel you can drive at the speed limit at this time of day and get annoyed at campervans, often at the same time.

We live in Renwick now since 2006, after Picton. I love the water as well, we have the amazing Wairau river just up the road, great in summer, as well as Havelock 20mins away.

Good luck guys!
Old Sep 28th 2015, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Hi Catcha and Baz, so looks like Blenheim is the place to start for rentals due to a lack of them in Picton lol, are there any areas that i should steer clear from? i would prefer the outskirts due to having a cat and dog but otherwise just wandering on niceish areas??
thanx in advanced
Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Baz036 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by killercat
Hi Catcha and Baz, so looks like Blenheim is the place to start for rentals due to a lack of them in Picton lol, are there any areas that i should steer clear from? i would prefer the outskirts due to having a cat and dog but otherwise just wandering on niceish areas??
thanx in advanced
Most parts of Blenheim are good, and even the not so good ain't that bad! Be careful of the Riversdale area as that can have a few issues but also has some great places. Other than that just one or two streets may be of concern.

PM me if you have any specifics and I will try to help.