Picking your spot

Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Picking your spot

4.5 years we have been 'trapped' here!
Very backward in many ways, (esp. construction methods)
Its almost like being in a land that time forgot.
Some things I like about it, but not enough to keep us here.
We are planning OZ.
If we could return to Uk, afford a decent house etc, then we would go back, without a doubt.
But once you get here and kids get setlled, get a life, friends, girlfriends etc, then you do become trapped until its time to move on without them.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 7:01 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
4.5 years we have been 'trapped' here!
Very backward in many ways, (esp. construction methods)
Its almost like being in a land that time forgot.
Some things I like about it, but not enough to keep us here.
We are planning OZ.
If we could return to Uk, afford a decent house etc, then we would go back, without a doubt.
But once you get here and kids get setlled, get a life, friends, girlfriends etc, then you do become trapped until its time to move on without them.
Sorry to hear that you dont like it and feel trapped that must be awful.

For us potential NZ immergrant is there any chance you can list what you do like and another that you dont?
Old Nov 11th 2006, 8:10 am
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by planty
We had plenty of time to think about where in NZ we wanted to go - the whole process, plus selling the house took SO LONG! We knew that we didn't want to go to a big city, and we just seemed 'drawn' to SI. It was nearly a 'pin in the map' job, but in the end we liked the sound of Timaru.....the lady at the immigration desk at Christchurch Airport was completely unimpressed when we told her where we were going! However, we've been in Timaru for about 3 months now, and we all love it here......thank goodness!
We wanted Timaru as we liked Geraldine area and Timaru Hospital was open for jobs so OH applied there. now after 8 mnths of trying Timaru dont want her so we off to Dunedin. EOI picked out with 115 pts in absolute shortage bracket, so it'll be a case of find a job when we get there. offer accepted on house, PSS shipping sorted, aiming for mid jan for the advance party and me and the kids mid feb
Old Nov 12th 2006, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Sorry to hear that you dont like it and feel trapped that must be awful.

For us potential NZ immergrant is there any chance you can list what you do like and another that you dont?
Its too far away from Europe and Uk for starters.
Its only when you sell up, move here and try to live off the wages here, you realise how far away it is to Uk.
The work is not right for my hubby, he loves challange and difficult jobs to get his teeth into. He finds measuring/pricing timber and tilt panels rather boring. He is used to multi million dollar/pound jobs. You wont find that here.
The climate is not what I thought it would be, I was expecting much warmer and shorter winters, not so.
Choice in supermarkets is quite dire and after a few years, you do start to miss an awful lot.
I realise all the things we wanted out of life, was right there on our doorstep, we needn't have come 12k miles and wasted so much time and money trying it out here.
However, I do like the countryside here, the laid back way of life (who cares if you go in a restaurant dressed in scruffy jeans and T's!)
I also think the teenagers here and kids in general are far more polite than UK, less anger and frustration.
All in all, there is not enough we do like to keep us here and will soon be making our way across the ditch to Brisbane.
Will we like it there? Who knows, but we are more prepared as to what to expect in OZ due to living here first. We know it isn't all roses there either but at least we will be warmer.
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:34 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Rascal.

Fair enough. Good luck with your quest
Old Nov 12th 2006, 7:43 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rascal
Its too far away from Europe and Uk for starters.
Hi there,

Are you still planning to move to Oz? I thought you were going to Dubai and then I thought I read about the possibility of Amsterdam more recently. Or do I have you confused with someone else?