Pickfords vs PSS

Old Aug 18th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pickfords vs PSS

Hi

I know there have been other threads on removal companies etc.... but just wanted to ask for opinions?

It's come down to Pickfords and PSS - Crown are too pricey, as we thought
they would be.

So anyone have any thoughts on either.... PSS have an impressive list of membership thingys (sorry can't remember technical term) and seem to have lots of experience shipping to NZ, however, think I have read a few negative things about NZ Van Lines who they use.

Pickfords seem fine but have less membership things although they use Pickfords the other side which seems like a plus.....

Hoping you helpful people can shed some light on things and help us make a decision otherwise it may be down to drawing from a hat!!! Just kidding

V
Old Aug 18th 2009, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pickfords vs PSS

I used Pickfords US - UK and they were very good. It does really help with having the same company the other side for communication especially.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords over PSS mainly as PSS told us we'd probably fit everything in a 20ft container, but we may have to send some things extra if they didn't fit on the day, whereas Pickfords said we had too much (and it turned out they were right) but did a part-share of a 40ft container. They measured the volume and we paid for that volume in a 40ft. It was much easier for us and saved us money having to pay for excess and also saved us from having to split up our stuff.

The 3 packers we had from Pickfords were very professional but friendly - turned up on time and packed all day for 2.5 days!

Also Pickfords use Pickfords at the other side which is easier. They also agreed to drop from 3.5% to 2% on marine insurance when we told them letton Percival were 1.6% so it kept the insurance together which we also figure is easier.

We now know which boat our stuff is on and can track it online - it's currently off the coast of Portugal - I'm not sure if PSS give you online tracking?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed you're also in Hertfordshire so you may end up with the same packers if you go for Pickfords! Sue and Geraldine in the office at Milton Keynes have been very good, getting back to us when we've had queries and have confirmed things in writing when we've asked them.

Good luck and happy cleaning - oh the smell of Jayes Fluid comes flooding back to me!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

vicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond reputevicejw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks that's helpful, think we edging towards Pickfords, just have a couple more questions for them.....

We haven't got to the cleaning stage yet although trying to clear out but not sure where to start.... when did we get so much stuff????

You're in St. Albans, we're just outside Letchworth. Where are you headed too in NZ?
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We used Pickfords the first time to emigrate to NZ. They were excellent. Quite a bit of our furniture was damaged but they were very efficient in paying out. No hassle at all.

We decided to use PSS the second time because they were slightly cheaper & had good reviews from a lot of people. The packers UK side were great, NZ Van Lines were a nightmare. Very unhelpful trying to organise stuff, told us one thing but didn't keep their word. Threw our stuff around, were reluctant to unpack stuff. Again, some furniture, washing machine & other stuff damaged but a prolonged process to get compensation. The guy at head office was unhelpful & downright rude at times.

So my choice would be Pickfords. I do believe some things are a question of luck though.

HTH
Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS about 4 years ago (there's another thread on here somewhere with a bit more details if you search). I wasn't very impressed!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to allThe Jezzers is a name known to all
Smile Re: Pickfords vs PSS

We are using PSS they arrive next week they have been very helpful with any questions I have and are really friendly, I will let you know if this was the right move . I used Pickfords once in England and said I would never use them again a lot of broken things. Anyway good luck I hope all goes to plan for you.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Location: Lived in Manchester moved to Auckland in Oct 09. Got my RV in March 09.
Happyinthesun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vicejw
Hi

I know there have been other threads on removal companies etc.... but just wanted to ask for opinions?

It's come down to Pickfords and PSS - Crown are too pricey, as we thought
they would be.

So anyone have any thoughts on either.... PSS have an impressive list of membership thingys (sorry can't remember technical term) and seem to have lots of experience shipping to NZ, however, think I have read a few negative things about NZ Van Lines who they use.

Pickfords seem fine but have less membership things although they use Pickfords the other side which seems like a plus.....

Hoping you helpful people can shed some light on things and help us make a decision otherwise it may be down to drawing from a hat!!! Just kidding

V
I am currently using Pickfords but have felt let down by the service. So far they've:
1. tried to charge me twice
2. the packers that turned up were very young lads - not experienced
3. some of my furniture wasnt listed on their lists so there was reluctance to pack it (not what you need on your moving day)
4. slow response to enquiries

My possessions are currently on a boat somewhere....I personally would recommend Crown - you pay for what you get - they came across very professional and i know of people who have used them and thought they were superb.

Am concerned after reading other posts on here that some of my furniture will be damaged!
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:58 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

we thought NZ Van Lines were great! Didn't use either of PSS or Allied Pickford.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Well we thought we'd decided on Pickfords and then Crown offered to drop their quote by £1300 - just goes to show you that you don't know until you ask???

Anyway I think I quite like crown but could just be impressed by their flash bbrochureand book they gave the kids!!

We're approaching the point when it's names in a hat - everyone is sick of us asking their opinion about it all......
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

We went with PSS and never again.
Awful service, staff were abmissmal on the UK side.
Pickfords seem pretty ok and to be honest have heard no bad stories about Van Lines. We are using them for our move to Canada next year and the follow up I have from them is amazing and very attentive.