British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Pickfords (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pickfords-629434/)

bevissa65 Sep 6th 2009 7:04 pm

Pickfords

Hi all, we have finally booked the shippers:thumbsup: Pickfords are coming 14th, 15th and 16th Sept, we would like to know how from those who have used Pickfords how long it actually took. I know they quote between 8-10 weeks but does it get there sooner sometimes? We will probably be going about 8th October which will mean quite a wait for our gear (far too old to be sleeping on the floor :rofl:) The problem may be that my parents are coming over mid November and I'm a teensy bit worried we won't have any furniture:unsure: We don't really want them to delay their arrival as it will mean them staying for most of the Christmas school holidays (its a long story!!!) Hope someone can help, Bevissa :thumbsup:

MOSO Sep 6th 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Pickfords

We're using Pickfords at the moment. Once packed up etc, we were told by Pickfords the name of the boat our container is on and the date it is due into Wellington, and we should have access to it a few days after arrival. You should be able to do the same. We have been able to track our ship although it is currently 'out of range':eek:

newnip Sep 6th 2009 11:59 pm

WE used Pickfords, packed up end of March and container arrived NZ end of May - then took about two weeks til we got it. Big MAF form to fill in so make sure you bring your packing list with you so you can tell them which boxes might have stuff which needs inspecting in it, camping stuff, xmas decs, alcohol, shells and such things. Also be aware that they are very strict on the distance - we were a few km over the free distance to deliver and they charged us about an extra $200. But the guys who delivered were really great and quick - 3 days to pack up in UK about an afternoon to unpack here.

MOSO Sep 7th 2009 5:36 am

We know we'll be a few kilometres outside the free zone i.e. we're going to Paraparaumu or Waikanae. We told Pickfords and they were fine. They have put in writing that they will deliver to either place even though it's outside their official limit.

maisiep Sep 7th 2009 10:22 am

We used Pickfords and were told our stuff would be around 8 weeks or so, in fact after 8 weeks we discovered it hadn't left the UK. They told us that it was unusually late because of Christmas (like they didn't know that was coming!!) But we were sharing a container so that probably delayed things. However, in the end it took just over 4 months for our stuff to arrive. We also had family coming over and ended up having to buy beds and mattresses for them to sleep on. We then sold them all again on Trade Me when our stuff turned up.

bevissa65 Sep 7th 2009 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by maisiep (Post 7910802)
We used Pickfords and were told our stuff would be around 8 weeks or so, in fact after 8 weeks we discovered it hadn't left the UK. They told us that it was unusually late because of Christmas (like they didn't know that was coming!!) But we were sharing a container so that probably delayed things. However, in the end it took just over 4 months for our stuff to arrive. We also had family coming over and ended up having to buy beds and mattresses for them to sleep on. We then sold them all again on Trade Me when our stuff turned up.

Arghhhhhh....

maisiep Sep 8th 2009 9:11 am

but I'm sure our experience was just unlucky!

If you do get caught out though, Trade Me and garage sales are the way to get through it!

MOSO Sep 8th 2009 10:08 am

Hoorah!

Our Pickfords container has now reached Thailand - which is great relief after being 'out of range' for 2 weeks:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's great being able to track it, and we know it's got past Somalia!!!

anniiee Sep 8th 2009 5:34 pm

Hi,

Pickford's packed us last wed and thurs, we were told it would be on the ship on Monday......must add, the packers were fantastic, very polite and thorough. We were a tad nervous as we had bought lots more things than when they originaly did the inventory.......we weren't charged any extra !! allthough not too sure whether the office new any different ;)

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 7913423)
Hoorah!

Our Pickfords container has now reached Thailand - which is great relief after being 'out of range' for 2 weeks:thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's great being able to track it, and we know it's got past Somalia!!!

How did you manage to track your container ? this wasn't mentioned to us....or is it somewhere in the small print that I havent' read :)

MOSO Sep 8th 2009 5:50 pm

One of the packers mentioned that it usually tells him on his documentation which ship it's on, but it our case it didn't. We just phoned the office the following day and they found out via their head office. It took a couple of calls to our contact in the Milton Keynes office (Suzanne) to remind her to find out from head office. We've also now received an official letter from them (via email) with the name of the ship and the date of it's arrival in Wellington and the Wellington office contact names.

We then just typed in the name of the ship into google and hey presto we can track it:thumbsup: http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=DNDD

bevissa65 Sep 8th 2009 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 7914545)
One of the packers mentioned that it usually tells him on his documentation which ship it's on, but it our case it didn't. We just phoned the office the following day and they found out via their head office. It took a couple of calls to our contact in the Milton Keynes office (Suzanne) to remind her to find out from head office. We've also now received an official letter from them (via email) with the name of the ship and the date of it's arrival in Wellington and the Wellington office contact names.

We then just typed in the name of the ship into google and hey presto we can track it:thumbsup: http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shi...html?call=DNDD

Is it on time or too early to say? Bevissa

MOSO Sep 8th 2009 9:12 pm

I assume it's on time, but I'm not entirely sure. Pickfords have told us that the boat is due into Wellington on 25th September (we were packed up on 3-5th August), so if it's near Thailand now I assume that's about right. We shall find out in due course....

willand tina_h Sep 8th 2009 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by MOSO (Post 7914946)
I assume it's on time, but I'm not entirely sure. Pickfords have told us that the boat is due into Wellington on 25th September (we were packed up on 3-5th August), so if it's near Thailand now I assume that's about right. We shall find out in due course....

We are undecided on pickfords or crown, pretty much same price, any words you can offer to sway us to pickfords?? I am almost sure of pickfords now, was going to be crown a few weeks ago, however, guy called again 2nite from pickfords and has done some sweet talking agin, lol............. Descisions eh??

tina. x

Deepseamark Sep 9th 2009 8:31 am

Originally Posted by willand tina_h (Post 7915040)
We are undecided on pickfords or crown, pretty much same price, any words you can offer to sway us to pickfords?? I am almost sure of pickfords now, was going to be crown a few weeks ago, however, guy called again 2nite from pickfords and has done some sweet talking agin, lol............. Descisions eh??

tina. x

Hello Tina

I will answer for Anniiee she is my OH.
We asked for quotes from Pickfords, PSS and Crown.
PSS came first, the guy was in the house for no more than 20 mins and gave the impression that he just wanted to leave and go home so first impression was not good.
Then came Pickfords, the guy was in the house for over an hour answering all my questions fully.
Crown obviously had too much work on at the time because they did not answer three emails, when I telephoned them they said that somebody would ring me back. I am still waiting.
When the quotes came in they were very close to each other so we went for Pickfords for two reasons.

1 The attitude of the guy who did the quote
2 It is Pickfords in Auckland not another company

We are extremely happy with Pickfords so far. They turned up on time both days two guys on day one three guys on day two. They were very polite and did not stop all day to the extent that my OH has emailed pickfords saying how pleased we were.
At the moment the container was put on the ship last Monday, how good the Auckland leg will be we still have to find out.
I am sure that you will find people who are not happy with Pickfords but to date our experience of them can only be described as excellent

regards

Mark

MOSO Sep 9th 2009 9:32 am

We can't fault Pickfords so far, great packers and good liaison from their office in the UK. They use their own people in NZ, not a 3rd party like PSS.

We also went with Pickfords as they offered us as much as we needed of a 40ft container, not a 20ft one with the rest of our stuff having to go in another container. This service clinched it for us.

Crown were initially £2500 more expensive but were prepared to drop their price when we told them they were out of the running. Crown didn't then follow up their new quote or put it in writing so we went with Pickfords.