Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Phone interviews and pc rubbish...

Phone interviews and pc rubbish...

Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

charliedarling will become famous soon enoughcharliedarling will become famous soon enough
Arrow Phone interviews and pc rubbish...

Getting nervous now, have been told that we are having a phone interview soon. Can anyone help us and tell us what questions they got asked? Fore warned is fore armed!

Hope we pass, am looking forward to getting out of this country! not even allowed to do sack-racing or three-legged race at school anymore at sports day - its too dangerous! We didnt even get a christmas play and santa was banned in case the one jehovoh witness at the school got upset!

I hope its not the same in NZ! Our 3 children need to have a life!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice
Default Re: Phone interviews and pc rubbish...

Deleted - thought you meant job interview!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 1:02 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charliedarling
Getting nervous now, have been told that we are having a phone interview soon. Can anyone help us and tell us what questions they got asked? Fore warned is fore armed!

Hope we pass, am looking forward to getting out of this country! not even allowed to do sack-racing or three-legged race at school anymore at sports day - its too dangerous! We didnt even get a christmas play and santa was banned in case the one jehovoh witness at the school got upset!

Hi, I see you're in Cornwall too and escaping!!! That makes I think 4 of us now currently on here from there! What school do your little ones go to, sounds awful?!

Can't help you with the phone interview I'm afraid, but others will, I'm sure they'll be along later!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

charliedarling will become famous soon enoughcharliedarling will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi, I see you're in Cornwall too and escaping!!! That makes I think 4 of us now currently on here from there! What school do your little ones go to, sounds awful?!

Can't help you with the phone interview I'm afraid, but others will, I'm sure they'll be along later!
Where are you? we are inbetween Helston and Falmouth.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 3:00 pm

You're in the nice bit! We're going to a hotel down there this weekend at Helston Passage! We're near Bodmin. Where abouts in NZ are you heading?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

What sort of interview is it? Is it a job interview,or an immigration interview?
Re children taking risks - all the schools have large jungle gyms (they get bigger with the age of the children). The principal in our school told one of the mums that they had only had 2 serious accidents on the jungle gyms and that they were the kids own faults for doing what they shouldn't be. There is also a really high and steep hill behind the school which the kids are allowed to climb up - the principal said they have only had 2 kids fall down it, when we said the kids would not be allowed to climb it in the UK the principal said that the kids need to learn to take risks to prepare them for life. The other thing is that we are meeting the teacher next week and have to fill in a form about the kids (its not an academic meeting but a chance for the teacher to find out more about the kids and met the family) one of the questions is about risk taking. We have certainly found the kids are allowed to be kids here and from our point of view we feel the kids are safer so we also allow them to have more freedom. Good luck with the interviews.

Last edited by donnaf; Feb 15th 2007 at 5:57 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Questions I remember being asked was;
Have you got a job & where, they then check details, start date etc.
Check who is going with you. With older kids they ask more questions.
Do you know anyone in NZ, any friends or family.
Do you have a forwarding address. What is your plan for accommodation.
If job doesn't work out, what will you do.
Basically they are wanting to know that you can manage financially, and you you will adapt and adjust to a new country.
They were friendly on the phone.
Ask them what the next step is - then they tell you your passport will be returned to you with blue stickers in.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:57 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi there,

Questions I remember being asked was;
Have you got a job & where, they then check details, start date etc.
Check who is going with you. With older kids they ask more questions.
Do you know anyone in NZ, any friends or family.
Do you have a forwarding address. What is your plan for accommodation.
If job doesn't work out, what will you do.
Basically they are wanting to know that you can manage financially, and you you will adapt and adjust to a new country.
They were friendly on the phone.
Ask them what the next step is - then they tell you your passport will be returned to you with blue stickers in.
Add to that:
Why New Zealand?
What makes you think you will fit in?
general questions about your awareness of your relevant job market,
Questions about being so far from family,

My advice would be make sure you are as up to date as poss on NZ current affairs, BE can help here, as can NZ herald website, and try to slip nuggets into your answers.

Be prepared for a tough time. The interviewer (in my case my account handler at NZIS) is freindly and nice, however I got absolutly no feedback from my answers, they ask the qu then the line goes v. quite and all you can here is them typing at the other end as you talk. When you finish speaking they fire another question straight at you, again giving no hint to whether you are making the right sort of noises or not.

Sorry for war & peace style paragraph, but I'm done now.

Other than to say good luck and be honest.

Adie
Old Feb 15th 2007, 7:28 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Interview: As stated above the questions are pretty staightforward. The want reassurance that your motivations for going are good and honourable, that you have made progress about finding work and wont be a drain on the state, and that you have researched the country and people and will 'fit in'

It's a breeze and you'll do fine.

Kids - MUCH less PC here - Santa is alive and well. Kids can be kids and are encouraged to be so. The environment and culture is much more geared up to allow kids to go off in relative safety and do the things that kids do.

They'll be fine.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:24 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

You poor buggers

I used to based at Culdrose

Old Feb 15th 2007, 8:56 pm

Funny experience of "PC" today ... we're having an alarm fitted in our house, but they can't put the sensors at the top of the stairs as they are not allowed to use ladders. Can only go above one of the bedroom doors where they can reach it. Which rather suggests a burglar would be able to reach it too! Next we won't be able to have a roof on our houses - too dangerous to assemble?!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice

just a point of thought - but nz just came out worst for children killed or injured in accidents in the new unicef report on child welfare in the 'rich' world.... was one of the best for education, however...
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We didnt even get a christmas play and santa was banned in case the one jehovoh witness at the school got upset!
OMG.... did they really do that.... thats unreal! Things are getting crazy over there by the sounds of it.... worse than ever!

Hopefully your kids will like it here. We love where we live and it seems relatively safe here. Theres plenty of parks and of course the beaches. The weather is pretty temperate just here so lots of outdoor play for them.... gotta remember the suncream though! My parents have visited us here and they say all the time that we should stay her as its a much nicer place to bring up kids than the UK.

Good luck!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
You poor buggers

I used to based at Culdrose

It would be a really nice area if it wasn't for all the WAFUs
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of PC, we were rather alarmed to find our son and his classmates hitting real nails into real wood with real hammers - none of this Fisher Price rubbish. This was at a pre-school class of 2-3 year-olds. None of them seemed to hurt themselves though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.