British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   phone & internet (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/phone-internet-658337/)

concretepump Mar 8th 2010 6:27 am

phone & internet

hi been looking on telecoms web site can get broadband and phone line for about $100 a month, was also looking at kinect cant seem to work out a price

so is any body here useing trustpower kinect phone & internet, and what on avg are your monthly bills

Soppydot4 Mar 8th 2010 7:10 am

Re: phone & internet

Originally Posted by concretepump (Post 8403254)
hi been looking on telecoms web site can get broadband and phone line for about $100 a month, was also looking at kinect cant seem to work out a price

so is any body here useing trustpower kinect phone & internet, and what on avg are your monthly bills

Hi, we're with Orcon and have 5G wireless broadband and phone line with them (all local calls are free) this costs $85 a month. If you go over the 5G you are charged $2 per 1G and obviously national and mobile calls are charged. We have paid $100 per month but if we don't ring mobiles can get it nearer the $85.

concretepump Mar 8th 2010 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Soppydot4 (Post 8403325)
Hi, we're with Orcon and have 5G wireless broadband and phone line with them (all local calls are free) this costs $85 a month. If you go over the 5G you are charged $2 per 1G and obviously national and mobile calls are charged. We have paid $100 per month but if we don't ring mobiles can get it nearer the $85.

Personally, I wouldn't touch Telecom with a barge pole!

hi they do sound good i should have said we will be in tauranga and they dont cover that area

hazeandsteve Mar 8th 2010 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Soppydot4 (Post 8403325)
Personally, I wouldn't touch Telecom with a barge pole!

We've been with Telecom for phone and broadband for three years, not had a problem at all.
XT, fair enough, but for home phone lines they are, in my opinion, just fine. Looked at switching to Telstraclear, but their broadband couldn't match Telecom's deals for speed or Gigs.
£100 a month, occasionally slightly higher if Haze phones her sister in Tenerife, but we normally Skype that now.

Am Loolah Mar 8th 2010 7:50 am

Like HazeandSteve, we've had no problems with Telecom for phone and broadband (in Tauranga!;)) Have just had to upgrade my mobile and it is XT so we'll wait and see how that pans out. Although I read in yesterday's paper that Vodafone conked out in our region at the weekend?:confused:

shelloid Mar 8th 2010 8:11 am

This is one area I haven't actually researched yet. Can anyone point me in directions of some appropriate websites?

And with out wanting to sound to thick - how do I know what sort of gig internet I need. Here in the UK were on Virgin broadband and I don't think there's a limit - but I'm not very technically minded so wouldn't have a clue even if there was :o

Persephone Mar 8th 2010 8:21 am

We use Telecom and have a 3Gb limit. I don't think we've ever exceeded that- we occasionally download music but never films- and other than that it's just normal everyday usage. Will be interesting to see if there's a difference when we get our next bill as I've been on it a lot more recently, maybe tripling our usage per day. I'm not that technically minded either so not sure whether that will go over the 3Gb or not.
Did have a look at the link someone posted elsewhere on here and it looks like there's a Telecom package costing $99 for 10Gb and all national calls so will have to look at that more closely as it could be cheaper for us
http://www.telecom.co.nz/homepage
http://www.orcon.net.nz/
http://www.slingshot.co.nz/

There's a start anyway:thumbup:
My parents both get free calls from the UK to NZ so we generally arrange a time and they ring me. Otherwise I'm on for about a minute and they then ring me back. Saves quite a bit doing that:thumbsup:

shelloid Mar 8th 2010 8:47 am

thank you! I'll have a look at those sites.

We're planning on using skype to call home - my mum likes the idea of the webcam (although I think her computer may be too old to manage it :rofl:), so not sure how that would affect usage - plus OH occasionally likes to watch films.
I dunno, it's all too confusing for me!

Persephone Mar 8th 2010 9:03 am

My Dad keeps mentioning getting a webcam and skype set up but neither of us have got round to it as yet. And probably never will given that we can both procrastinate till the next century if needs be....

Justcol Mar 8th 2010 6:51 pm

We're with Trustpower and they are very very good.
No idea what we we pay (about 100 bucks i think) but
they service is WAY better than telecom.
Having been a telecom customer in the past and having
dealt with their ignorant arogant operators and sales people
i will NEVER use them again.
They even tried to bill me for a few hundred bucks for a time
period when i hadnt been a telecom customer for over a year.
they threatened court action and dept retrieval agancies which
would have meant credit black listing.
They really are shite and i would touch them with a barge pole

Wooly_Cow Mar 8th 2010 11:26 pm

I use Telecom Big Time plan which is unlimited Broadband. Having a capped broadband was a pain always having to stop the family from viewing TV on line and downloading games, music and videos. Now we can use as much as we like. I've noticed some peer to peer downloads are restricted speed but not streaming TV or music.

If you are used to uncapped, going to a capped plan is a pain no matter what you think you will use you will always use more eventually.

We also have Sky TV, and the combined Internet/Phone/TV package is about the same between Telstra Clear and the Telecom/Sky package.

For mobile I use XT, which despite the recent issues which seemed to impact texts* and not so much calls, I found excellent for coverage, price and quality. They even work in the lifts!

* I have a pet gripe about texts anyway....they are NOT gaurenteed delivery communciations and are only "one way". I get fed up with the kids (and wifey) texting me time critical messages like "Pick me up now". They have no way of knowing if I've picked up the message...How about just ringing me up and talking to me? :confused:

"Ooo I am so mad......I could throw the phone down"

BTW a previous post mentioned about local calls being free....ALL local calls are free in NZ!

simonsi Mar 9th 2010 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8405557)
* I have a pet gripe about texts anyway....they are NOT gaurenteed delivery communciations and are only "one way". I get fed up with the kids (and wifey) texting me time critical messages like "Pick me up now". They have no way of knowing if I've picked up the message...How about just ringing me up and talking to me? :confused:

That is easy, if you reply then you have the message, if you don't then they'd better do something else (like ring) :confused:

Wooly_Cow Mar 9th 2010 6:18 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 8406099)
That is easy, if you reply then you have the message, if you don't then they'd better do something else (like ring) :confused:

....so two unreliable messages instead of a 10 second phone call?

Jo_Paul87 Mar 9th 2010 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8405557)

"Ooo I am so mad......I could throw the phone down"

!

I agree cnt b doon wth al ths txt tak :rofl:

simonsi Mar 9th 2010 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow (Post 8406138)
....so two unreliable messages instead of a 10 second phone call?

Whatever, if they don't get positive feedback then they have to learn to try something else. Works in the UK where we have "reliable" text messages...