Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Phone contact between UK and NZ

Phone contact between UK and NZ

Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:11 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone contact between UK and NZ

we're currently in temp accommodation and so are having to use mobiles to call the UK.

On 2 degrees (pay as you go), we're getting 22c per minute to the UK. But I think you can get it cheaper on vodafone - I think I remember seeing $2 for 60mins but not sure on the conditions of that one.
Haven't looked into deals you can get on contracts on mobiles, as we were refused a contract given that we're currently on a temp 9 month WTR whilst fulfilling the criteria for PR.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

Jo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really niceJo_Paul87 is just really nice

Thanks for all your info, there seems so many options, I dont think 2 of you used the same system, it looks like I will be spending a few more hours researching some of these options on the internet.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:13 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
Thanks for all your info, there seems so many options, I dont think 2 of you used the same system, it looks like I will be spending a few more hours researching some of these options on the internet.
We use Skype and/or mobiles.

Currently Vodafone do $2 for 60 mins to a UK landline, but in theory they could change that at any time as it is a special offer (but has been going for around 12 months and previously ran for 3-4 months in 2008). We have a skype subscription which gives us 3 incoming numbers from a few different countries (inc the UK) so people call us for the cost of a UK call. and a Skype-to-go number, which allows us to call a local number (free in NZ) and then either speed-dial or type in any number to call. The landline calls are included with the subscription.

So with Skype after it's set up, you don't need a pc at all for calls and the luddites in the UK can just use a normal phone, although it took a while to persuade my 82y.o. aunt that she would only be charged a local call rate to phone NZ...

With Skype phones, I would be wary as they are expensive and you need a PC to set them up, it is then also a second phone, personally I'd use the cash for a subscription as above.

In theory the Skype calling is unlimited but they do have a fair use policy, I don't know what it is but suspect it's 'fair'. Their customer service is appalling if you ever have the misfortune to need it.

We also use T-Mobile UK PAYG sim as you can send picture messages or MMS text messages for 20p a pop and incoming messages are free.

HTH

A
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Zootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jo_Paul87
Hi,
I would like your opinions on the best way to keep phone contact between the UK and NZ, we are moving out in June, and will be able to keep in contact with most people via Skype, but with having elderly parents with no computer this is not possible (or is it), does anyone use the Skype to landline setup, if so do you register this in the UK and get a UK based number or over in NZ ? as i understand that UK callers can call you from a landline for the cost of a local call ?

Or can anyone recommend a better system from the NZ side ?

Thanks
Paul
We are in the UK, we have set up a skype phone line in NZ for our kids and folks to ring us. Fpr £40 a year you get a dedicated phone number that anyone can ring. We got a Wellington number because most of our family are there.
In the UK we invested in a Skype WiFi phone - no computer needed. It works really well - apart from the odd Kiwi ringing us in the middle of the night!

We are moving back to NZ sometime soon - with a 2 year interlude in Brunei in between by the looks of it. We will get a UK number for our friends and family here to ring us.

We can ring out as well, about £0.012 per minute to NZ/Aus/US, etc.

The quality is usually great - sometimes it can be a bit echoey, usually when its school holidays in NZ and the kids are all hammering the internet. Other than that, great service.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Zootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant futureZootalaws has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by AKT
With Skype phones, I would be wary as they are expensive and you need a PC to set them up, it is then also a second phone, personally I'd use the cash for a subscription as above.
No you don't.

We paid £55 for our wireless Belkin Skype WiFi phone - all you need is access to a wifi signal, no computer needed.

Works great. We take it out with us if we are expecting overseas calls - it's surprising the number of free wifi sites in the UK - most coffee shops, a lot of pubs, McDonalds etc.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 10:09 am
AKT
Forum Regular

AKT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zootalaws
No you don't.

We paid £55 for our wireless Belkin Skype WiFi phone - all you need is access to a wifi signal, no computer needed.

Works great. We take it out with us if we are expecting overseas calls - it's surprising the number of free wifi sites in the UK - most coffee shops, a lot of pubs, McDonalds etc.
Can you set up a skype account with the phone? They have clearly moved on since I last looked.

A
Old Apr 15th 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Yes, you can register a new account - you obviously need to go to a computer if you want to register for additional services like Phone lines, etc.