British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   phone & broadband (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/phone-broadband-730322/)

frog99 Aug 28th 2011 9:15 pm

phone & broadband

Hi all,

I'm moving to Melrose, Wellington in 3 weeks and now the search for a flat is over, I need to sort out phone & Broadband.

Looked on Telecom & Orecon - both look pretty pricy...I work from home on internet so need reliable and reasonably fast broadband but don;t do a lot of video watching or music downloading. Although will be keeping in touch with people on facebook & skype etc

Saw a few Telecom reviews which were less than positive but they're dated 2007 so no idea how accurate they are....

any advice would be helpful...

barnsleymat Aug 28th 2011 10:37 pm

Re: phone & broadband

It's ridiculously expensive, the locals don't seem to realise they're getting ripped off.

chc4me Aug 28th 2011 11:25 pm

We are with Telstra here in Christchurch for broadband and phone. Speed is excellent and uptime is very good. My wife also works from home and has no complaints about the net.

As a slight aside, we also have the Telstra T-Box (equivalent to MySky). I really wish we had selected MySky - better response times and more reliable than the Telstra version.

sirplug Aug 28th 2011 11:30 pm

We pay $100 a month for Orcon Genius. Includes all calls for free, local and national. Calls to UK are free, 30GB internet and a wireless home hub with wireless phone, as well as caller ID, call waiting, call log and full wiring and installation insurance.

MattandJax Aug 29th 2011 12:12 am

Would recommend Slingshot Naked Broadband. They have a 6 month half price special so $41 instead of $83.

For this you get 25gb of data, free d/l between 2am and 8am and their italk package which includes 500 mins of landline calls to NZ/USA/UK and loads of other countires.

Other plan is naked broadband with Vodafone $55 for 15gb and $65 for 45gb if you already have a Vodafone on account plan.

Naked broadband is not something that you could get in the UK but if you are comfortable with VOIP or just using a mobile then you can save a bit of money.

Matt

kaihoe Aug 30th 2011 12:51 am

Originally Posted by MattandJax (Post 9587257)
Would recommend Slingshot Naked Broadband. They have a 6 month half price special so $41 instead of $83.

For this you get 25gb of data, free d/l between 2am and 8am and their italk package which includes 500 mins of landline calls to NZ/USA/UK and loads of other countires.

Other plan is naked broadband with Vodafone $55 for 15gb and $65 for 45gb if you already have a Vodafone on account plan.

Naked broadband is not something that you could get in the UK but if you are comfortable with VOIP or just using a mobile then you can save a bit of money.

Matt

Check out actrix.co.nz Ive been with them for the last 9 yrs:thumbup:

faye_h Aug 30th 2011 2:17 am

Don't go with Telecom! We were originally with them when we moved out here 2 years ago and they were awful. It was slow, unreliable and customer services were awful. We managed to get out of the contract last year and changed to Orcon who we couldn't be happier with.

Unfortunately broadband and phone are really expensive out here compared to UK. The first thing the guy in Vodafone told me when I signed up for my mobile was 'don't expect to get anything like what you have in the UK - it just doesn't exist here'!! :(

chc4me Aug 30th 2011 3:05 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9587207)
We pay $100 a month for Orcon Genius.

I'm really keen on this new service (Voice over Internet) but after a search online, it looks like new connections are having problems to get up and running. I might wait and see if it improves after a couple of months.

sirplug Aug 30th 2011 6:25 am

Originally Posted by chc4me (Post 9589373)
I'm really keen on this new service (Voice over Internet) but after a search online, it looks like new connections are having problems to get up and running. I might wait and see if it improves after a couple of months.

I had issues but I think the problem was, they didn't expect the take up in service and hadn't got enough staff ready to cope. I'm happily using it and the phone quality is as good as standard land line.