Reload this Page >

Pharmacist looking for information please

Pharmacist looking for information please

Old Jun 10th 2012, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

Ian_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Pharmacist looking for information please

Hi Laura
I am a pharmacist thinking about making the move. How did you go about thie process of securing a job and how did you find the pharmacy conversion process? Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated
Ian
Old Jun 11th 2012, 12:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pharmacist looking for information please

Hello & to our friendly NZ forums Ian. I have moved your post, as the UK to NZ July 2012 is purely for those coming over this July & therefore less likely to be seen by other posters who may be able to help.

We had a similar thread not so long ago http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757879 which you may find useful.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:06 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Hey,

just quickly checking in so don't have much time, but I'm a pharmacist who made the move. Before I go into more detail can I just ask a few q's...

Are you moving from the UK?
How long have you been registered?
What sort of experience do you have?
Will you want hospital or community work?
What sort of area are you thinking of moving to?

I'll check back again regularly over the next few days to see if there's help I can give you. (not on here too frequently normally)
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:01 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You are a bright shiny pharmacist star Shelloid
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelloid
Hey,

just quickly checking in so don't have much time, but I'm a pharmacist who made the move. Before I go into more detail can I just ask a few q's...

Are you moving from the UK?
How long have you been registered?
What sort of experience do you have?
Will you want hospital or community work?
What sort of area are you thinking of moving to?

I'll check back again regularly over the next few days to see if there's help I can give you. (not on here too frequently normally)
Thanks for replying Shelloid, I hope the OP returns to see your post.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:09 am
Drugist

MAHARLIKA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Shelloid,

How about pharmacy technician? do you think it could be easy for me to find a job in NZ. I'm planning to enroll this year in PITO recognition programme as Pharmacy Technician trainee since i'm not yet a registered pharmacist in NZ (oversea's pharmacist). My next move is to proceed in Pharmacy Council registration.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:55 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

what sort of technician post would you be after?

At my hospital we have employed several overseas techs....but they were techs overseas too, not pharmacists although not sure that would necessarily stop us.
It is also difficult to get good techs (at least that's been my experience recently) in hospital. I'd say apply for jobs anyway, but it may be that some places may be put off if they think you're only going to stick around for a few months whilst getting registered as a pharmacist.

I really don't know about community as don't know the whole application process that they go through.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 4:29 am
Drugist

MAHARLIKA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shelloid
what sort of technician post would you be after?

At my hospital we have employed several overseas techs....but they were techs overseas too, not pharmacists although not sure that would necessarily stop us.
It is also difficult to get good techs (at least that's been my experience recently) in hospital. I'd say apply for jobs anyway, but it may be that some places may be put off if they think you're only going to stick around for a few months whilst getting registered as a pharmacist.

I really don't know about community as don't know the whole application process that they go through.
Thanks Shelloid!

It's either hospital or community, as long as they hire me as tech trainee. so that I can get my National Certificate in Pharmacy Technician (Level 5) after the assessment of PITO. I need a full-time job since the assessment could take me 1.5 year to finish. This is my initial plan to land a job in NZ. And I'm hoping that someone would hire me because my intention is clear, to be a licensed Pharmacy technician.

Do you think it is my advantage to land a job as Pharmacy Tech since my qualification overseas is pharmacist?

To be a registered Pharmacist is my next target 3-4 years from now if everything goes right with my plan.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Laura_Jayne_M is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

I joined the pharmacy register in NZ about 3 years ago as I took sabbatical leave there for 6 months. Its a bit of a lengthy process but totally worth it. I had to apply to sit the CAOP exam in London (actually an oz exam but NZ use it anyway) which I think was around £300 maybe. Its only held 4 times a year and you need to get your application in 2 months beforehand. Results are published about 3-4 weeks afterwards. Fortunately I had seen a job advertised in the UK and they offered me the position before I had even started the registration process and they were willing to wait for me. When I arrived I had to do 4 weeks pre-reg/supervised then an interview on law and ethics, which wasn't too taxing. Also need to get letter of good standing sent to them from pharm council in UK. When I left NZ i went to non-practising register (about ~£40 a year). Decided at the beginning of the year that I wanted to move back to NZ so I emailed a few hospitals in the auckland area to see what jobs were going and as luck would have it, I got one. As I had been off the register for just over 3 years, I've got to redo my 4 week supervised work and the law and ethics interview, but other than that, its relatively easy to get back on the register. Loved working in NZ last time so would recommend it, although there are some differences to pharmacy in the UK. Would suggest either looking on trademe for jobs or seek.co.nz or http://www.pharminfotech.co.nz/pharmacyjobsnz.htm Or you could just do what I did and email some of the DHBs to see if anything going. As I've worked in NZ before I was lucky to have contacts so I knew who to email.

Best of luck - if you need any other advice, feel free to ask, would be happy to help!
Laura