Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pharmacist, Can anybody help!!!!

Pharmacist, Can anybody help!!!!

Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

steveh101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pharmacist, Can anybody help!!!!

Hi all, we have a very short time scale to sort a problem that maybe someone could help us with! My wife sat the CAOP exam to convert her pharmacy degree back in 2012 when we were supposed to move to Australia (wife is Australian) but due to unforeseen circumstances we had to put the move off, with good friends moving to NZ we have decided to give there a go as we both like the place. What we need is a 4 week placement in or around the Pukekhoe area or anywhere within a 40min travel. I know this a very specific ask but you don't ask you don't get! If anyone could help or has contacts would be great! Would be looking to start around 15th September but latest would be 29th September, after that the exam would have to be re taken and would put us back nearly a year! Any help gratefully received!

Steve and Debbie.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pharmacist, Can anybody help!!!!

Suggest do Google of pharmacy in that area and contact directly
Old Aug 12th 2014, 8:14 am
Just Joined

physeptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the rough

I am a pharmacist and am just doing my placement now.
Unfortunately i have to say i found it very, very difficult to find a suitable tutor via google/yellow pages/etc- most exploratory emails just went unanswered. In the end it was about two and a half months before i got a place (and I have 17 years experience with mutliple specialties including prescribing)- and this was in a rural area.

As you are so desperate you really will have to be open to working *anywhere* in the country- you should have been told by the NZPC that attempting to get a job anywhere near Auckland is nigh on impossible- and undesireable for the professional as a whole.
I think if you were to consider Invercargill or anywhere that far south you may get lucky in your time frame.

All i can say is good luck looking- i know you only get two chances to sit the exam to pass, i am not sure what happens if you have to resit it due to expiry, i guess she still retains the ability to fail once.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Can it be at a hospital outpatient pharmacy? I imagine they would happily let you work for free.

If so you could try the District Health Boards - Counties Manukau would be closest to Pukekohe.

District health board websites | Ministry of Health NZ
Old Aug 25th 2014, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

steveh101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your replies. Just to let you know, a placement was found two days after posting and only a ten minute walk from our friends home where we will be staying. So we leave early Sept and placement will start on 15th Sept as hoped for. Can't believe how lucky we've been, now we just need those six little lottery numbers to come up :-)
Old Aug 26th 2014, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

HI Guys - we're 2 pharmacists flying out today. I'm working in INdustry and my wife is a hospital pharmacist - she sat her exam in london a couple of weeks ago so won't apply for jobs/placement for a bit yet.

Any contacts would be greatly appreciated and feel free to shoot me a PM.

Cheers
D