Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pets in NZ - Advice now required!

Pets in NZ - Advice now required!

Old Oct 21st 2009, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Question Pets in NZ - Advice now required!

Hi again all,

Got this e-mail from my parents at work today.

"Don’t get me wrong, but the Kiwis don’t appreciate the import of pets, they have a bad problem with feral cats and possum attacking the indigenous species such as Kiwi etc. I have nothing against cats per se, but my opinion has always been that apart from giving you company, they are a millstone around your neck, constricting your independence and freedom of movement. Even if you were to be allowed to import them, it is my opinion that this would be a terrible mistake. You do not want to start a new life with old baggage, better to recognise this and reconcile yourself to the fact that they will have to be re-housed and start moving towards that goal."

A bit later on:

"They would find the whole procedure traumatic, and said, in many ways it would be kinder FOR THEM to be re-homed in Southampton, and it may be that one of your neighbours who they already know would be willing to keep them."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I adopted them from the RSPCA, and as such I am legally obliged to return them to the RSPCA for re-adoption if I have to give them up. I signed a contract, and as they are chipped, the RSPCA would find out if I did not. That aside, I have spoken to the RSPCA and they have no problem with them going to NZ with me.

I know that in the previous thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634178 many of you have said that you have had no problems importing pets (cats & dogs) so that aside, my cats are also netered (RSPCA does this as a matter of course before they allow animals to be adopted) so they can never have children. I would never let them go feral so that is not going to be a problem.

If I were to give them back to the RSPCA I Would be saving myself £1500ish (Approx. import and airfair charges for 2 cats).

That's it. I would also be giving up my only "friends". I work silly hours, work and the people there hate me, and I have no spare money so do not go out to do things. Sad, but a fact of life at the moment for me.

Just wondering what you all think about what my parents said in that e-mail really. Are they right about the feral cats and possums? I have no idea so cannot say. Are they right in saying that NZ would frown upon me if I wanted to import my pets?

Do you all have any more thoughts? This is the first time that I have heard the opinion about them being a millstone and had no idea about it before. I was under the impression that it was because my Dad hated cats (having previously owned 3 strays).

Now, I know I am talking "what if's" here, but I love my cats and would always care for them. If I were to return them to the RSPCA and they could not get them re-adopted (Many people do not like "abnormal" animals and one of them is polydactal [Extra fingers/toes]) then the RSPCA would have them put down. If they did get re-adopted then it is possible that they would go to a person or family that would not love them and would treat them poorly. This is a "worst case, pure speculation" line though.

Oh, and as for finding the "whole procedure traumatic", the same could be applied to me emmigrating too. I may hate NZ, they may hate NZ, I may love NZ, they may love NZ. How will anybody know until that time comes??

Now, I don't want to give them up, I don't want to go against my parents either, but most important - I want to do what is right for them. Does anybody have any ideas/thoughts here as I read that e-mail as "Give them up now"!

G.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Pets in NZ - Advice now required!

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Hi again all,

Got this e-mail from my parents at work today.

"Don’t get me wrong, but the Kiwis don’t appreciate the import of pets, they have a bad problem with feral cats and possum attacking the indigenous species such as Kiwi etc. I have nothing against cats per se, but my opinion has always been that apart from giving you company, they are a millstone around your neck, constricting your independence and freedom of movement. Even if you were to be allowed to import them, it is my opinion that this would be a terrible mistake. You do not want to start a new life with old baggage, better to recognise this and reconcile yourself to the fact that they will have to be re-housed and start moving towards that goal."

A bit later on:

"They would find the whole procedure traumatic, and said, in many ways it would be kinder FOR THEM to be re-homed in Southampton, and it may be that one of your neighbours who they already know would be willing to keep them."

Now, I adopted them from the RSPCA, and as such I am legally obliged to return them to the RSPCA for re-adoption if I have to give them up. I signed a contract, and as they are chipped, the RSPCA would find out if I did not. That aside, I have spoken to the RSPCA and they have no problem with them going to NZ with me.

I know that in the previous thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=634178 many of you have said that you have had no problems importing pets (cats & dogs) so that aside, my cats are also netered (RSPCA does this as a matter of course before they allow animals to be adopted) so they can never have children. I would never let them go feral so that is not going to be a problem.

If I were to give them back to the RSPCA I Would be saving myself £1500ish (Approx. import and airfair charges for 2 cats).

That's it. I would also be giving up my only "friends". I work silly hours, work and the people there hate me, and I have no spare money so do not go out to do things. Sad, but a fact of life at the moment for me.

Just wondering what you all think about what my parents said in that e-mail really. Are they right about the feral cats and possums? I have no idea so cannot say. Are they right in saying that NZ would frown upon me if I wanted to import my pets?

Do you all have any more thoughts? This is the first time that I have heard the opinion about them being a millstone and had no idea about it before. I was under the impression that it was because my Dad hated cats (having previously owned 3 strays).

Now, I know I am talking "what if's" here, but I love my cats and would always care for them. If I were to return them to the RSPCA and they could not get them re-adopted (Many people do not like "abnormal" animals and one of them is polydactal [Extra fingers/toes]) then the RSPCA would have them put down. If they did get re-adopted then it is possible that they would go to a person or family that would not love them and would treat them poorly. This is a "worst case, pure speculation" line though.

Oh, and as for finding the "whole procedure traumatic", the same could be applied to me emmigrating too. I may hate NZ, they may hate NZ, I may love NZ, they may love NZ. How will anybody know until that time comes??

Now, I don't want to give them up, I don't want to go against my parents either, but most important - I want to do what is right for them. Does anybody have any ideas/thoughts here as I read that e-mail as "Give them up now"!

G.
hi
no there is no reason, for you not to take them, if you lived near a forest that have kiwis in them they dont like cats because they can catch them
we took two cats both toms but they are indoor cats, they love the sun would sit in it all day, and like you say its quite cheap to send them over,
and then you will always have some thing to say hello to when you come home as long as they have food or fed about same time every day and water they will be fine we are looking into going back and my wife would not leave them behind
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If you love your pets and can afford to ship them over, for goodness sake do it.

Although I am yet to go through this, I think that it will be lovely to have our 2 dogs with us whilst we are adjusting to our new life in NZ.

Make lots of enquiries as to nearby catteries so that they can go and stay when you want to travel etc. Our NZ kennel fees are half the price of UK fees.....Sweet as...!
Old Oct 21st 2009, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Cats are virtually compulsory in NZ! When we were house-hunting, I would say 90% of the houses we viewed had a cat. One more in the country will make no difference to native bird numbers I'm sure. So I would bring them
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Cats are virtually compulsory in NZ! When we were house-hunting, I would say 90% of the houses we viewed had a cat. One more in the country will make no difference to native bird numbers I'm sure. So I would bring them
Leave them. There are sufficient cats here and as the e mail you saw pointed out they are an utter scourge on the indigenous fauna. We left ours in the UK but alas ended up with 2 here..one rescue, one Kate's wish. The voyage is no doubt stressful and the cost ridiculous especially when you turn it into kiwi $$. I have decided that when our 2 are gone no more cats will live with us.

No matter how much you try to stop the killing it always goes on. There are other problems associated with cats. Cat flaps are an open invitation to every other cat on the block which leads to spraying. Save your self a load of wedge and come without them..unless they are significant items in your family.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

We read much the same thing about dogs: not welcome etc etc

We brought our three dogs. We now live on an estate where everyone seems to also have at least two dogs. Most of my staff have at least one dog. And they all love them and treat them as part of the family, just like we did in Blighty

EDIT: I'd be pretty p*ssed off if someone called my dogs "old baggage"

just my 2p worth
Jan
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:25 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

You have to question the motives behind such strident ‘advice’. Like most issues there are pro’s and cons. Only you can make the decision. The argument about protecting the wildlife is a generality and again only you can decide where you live and if your cats would be a risk to the native fauna. If you live in a city, and your cat is not a hunter then there is no problem.

Emotionally again only you can decide if your pets are important to your life or if they can be replaced or forgotten.

Shipping pets is expensive BUT for the most part pets appear to cope as well as humans on the trip.

I have heard of cases of successful and unsuccessful emigrations with pets and re-homing them instead.

It’s up to you not your parents or anyone else. Don’t forget you effectively rescued your cats so any action you decide which does not harm or hurt is totally your call.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No-one can advise you what to do. Do what you feel best for you and these animals.
I am not really sure why you are posting a private email from your parents onto an open forum website. Surely this is something you should be discussing with your parents direct if you want to include them in this decision.

Not sure why you are communicating about this via email anyway. It would be better to see/speak with them direct.

As you have already read , many migrants successfully import their pets and many Kiwi families have pets.

This is New Zealand. There are wild pigs, deer , possums, ferrets and goodness knows what else out there. None of which are indigenous.

The people of New Zealand keep pets. People import their pets.

Do what you feel is best .
Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:46 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
That is very strange advice, after all they are your cats and you are the one who will be taking care of them and paying for the move, not your parents. Why are your parents so concerned about you bringing them over? There is no mention of the emotional side of owning a cat, the friendship, companionship and joy that people get from them, they are not really "old baggage". Not that I have one-more a dog person myself
My neighbours all have cats, which seem to spend plenty of time in our garden- probably to get away from their kids They are all kiwis as well, no immigrant cats amongst them! I doubt anyone would have a problem with a cat being brought into the country.
I work in a vets practice and daily see the attitiude of kiwis towards their cats ie they love them and care for them no differently to anyone else. If you live in a town then there is little risk of them predating native birds. Yes there are some that see them as just a cat and don't have any real emotional attachment but that is also the case in the UK, especially in the more rural areas and farming areas. Many farmers have feral cats around as well to keep the rodent population down.
So if you can afford to bring your cats and don't want to leave them behind then go ahead and bring them, you are not going to be hounded out of NZ for doing so
Good luck with the parents

Sue

ps I love polydactyl cats-the more toes the better!
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy Re: Pets in NZ - Advice now required!

Surely this is something you should be discussing with your parents direct if you want to include them in this decision.
Problem with that is that I have no desire to get into a shouting match with my Dad. Once he has made up his mind on an issue, then as far as he is concerned he is right and everybody else is wrong, no matter what!

I do believe that he fails to understand the emotional side of it. I love my pets and have no desire to give them up. The problem I have is that I also believe that we should honour our parents wishes. The two directly collide here.

I get to see them Sunday as well. Joy-oh-joy. Two points of conversation. Cats and the usual "When are you going to find a wife?" Not that any women I may date would ever be good enough for him.

He likes to find fault and critisize.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

HHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really niceHHBoP is just really nice

Hi Gizmo

I am bringing my cats and my parents think I am nuts, Dad not nuts about me goin either. Am still doin it. End of day unless your Dad is intending to start purring, wrap himself around ur legs when u get home and love u unconditionally (unless u haven't fed them and/or it is raining and u refuse to turn it off) oh and sit on ur lap! then the decision is urs.

Perhaps Dad gets in slanging match coz he knows u will back down?? They are ur cats and it is ur life and it is ur decision. Afterall u have to live with the consequences of whatever u decide, not ur Dad.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:15 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a fair degree of anti-cat feelings amongst some people. Perhaps that feeling is a little stronger than in other places.

The flip side to that of course is that New Zealand has an extremely high percentage of cat (and pet) ownership. According to the SPCA, 47% of households have at least one pet.

Conservation groups are also realistic in the belief that while they may know cats cause damage to the native wildlife - and particularly wild or feral cats - their staff, their members and the general population all bl**dy well own them. So they stress the importance of "responsible cat ownership" rather than "no cats". Because it's simply not popular to promote the 'no cat' viewpoint
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 5:49 am
`

Problem with that is that I have no desire to get into a shouting match with my Dad. Once he has made up his mind on an issue, then as far as he is concerned he is right and everybody else is wrong, no matter what!

I do believe that he fails to understand the emotional side of it. I love my pets and have no desire to give them up. The problem I have is that I also believe that we should honour our parents wishes. The two directly collide here.

I get to see them Sunday as well. Joy-oh-joy. Two points of conversation. Cats and the usual "When are you going to find a wife?" Not that any women I may date would ever be good enough for him.

OK. I have a question for you and you are free not to answer. What is your ethnicity and I mean that in the best possible way.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

What is your ethnicity and I mean that in the best possible way.
White English.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 6:43 am
`

I love my pets and have no desire to give them up.

The problem I have is that I also believe that we should honour our parents wishes.

and the usual "When are you going to find a wife?" .
Originally Posted by BEVS
What is your ethnicity and I mean that in the best possible way.
Originally Posted by gizmo27
White English
OK. We have very good friends who are multi-cultural and also , we are both from multi-cultural backgrounds and another ethnicity would have explained these extreme concerns over a parents wishes which, in all honestly, have bugger all to do with you and your plans to emigrate..

As it is, if you are not culturally contained , then tell them to mind their own. If you are old enough to move continents, then you are old enough to take hold of your own decisions. Do so.

Can I ask you to not post another private email from your parents again. It ain't nice. It is disrespectful to them ( per your own comments about honour )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.