Pets in NZ

Old Oct 6th 2009, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough
Default Pets in NZ

Hi all,

Just a general query regarding pets in NZ really.

When I told my parents that I planned to take my cats to NZ (At about £1000a cat all in), they told me that I should give them back to the RSPCA (I adopted them from there) and get them re-homed in the UK rather than put them through the stress of moving them to NZ with me. Their reasoning for that was that in NZ, not many people have pets as you all live a ummm..... "Much more outside" life than in the UK.

Just wondering if that was true or not really as I want to get a dog too!!!

Thanks, Gizzy.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:01 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pets in NZ

Hi,
There are many people on here who have brought pets over so they can probably give you more advice on that side of things.
I would say that there are a significant number of pet owners over here but do not have the statistics to back it up. I work in a small animal vet practice so obviously have a skewed view on numbers-everyone I meet has an animal!. People here care about their pets just as much as in the UK, I have had hardened kiwi men in tears in front of me at times and I suppose I do get to see the more emotional side of people due to the nature of my job Having said that there are certainly more people for whom dogs are meant to be outside and kennelled only, even if they are only pets [ not talking about working dogs here]. Plenty let them sleep on their beds as well though Yes there is a tougher attitude towards animals amongst the general public but the majority of people are just like in the UK-they care and love for their pets just the same
So bring your cats if that is what you want to do, the downside is that it is expensive.
Best of luck
Sue
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Bring 'em

We brought 3 dogs, whilst wondering how dog friendly NZ might be. We now live in an area where everyone seems to have two (or more) dogs, and we walk them and take them to the beach just like we would in the UK.

A colleague here brought her cats too. The only people I have met here who have not brought pets were from the US, because of the quarantine, that's all.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Marymungomidge is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Pets in NZ

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
Hi all,

When I told my parents that I planned to take my cats to NZ (At about £1000a cat all in), they told me that I should give them back to the RSPCA (I adopted them from there) and get them re-homed in the UK rather than put them through the stress of moving them to NZ with me. Their reasoning for that was that in NZ, not many people have pets as you all live a ummm..... "Much more outside" life than in the UK.

Thanks, Gizzy.
Gizzy,

I came over in May with my nearly 17 year old doggo chop and she was fine. Used a company called Petair and they were fantastic. Since getting here she has had a new lease of life. I certainly would never have left here behind...

Also, I think you have been fed a load of crap about not many people having pets over here....
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

So all in all, many people in NZ do own pets and they are a major part of life in NZ then?

mmm

Methinks my parents just don't want me to keep my cats! I know Dad dosn't like them but still, he used to have 3!!!!!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Marymungomidge is an unknown quantity at this point

So all in all, many people in NZ do own pets and they are a major part of life in NZ then?

mmm

Methinks my parents just don't want me to keep my cats! I know Dad dosn't like them but still, he used to have 3!!!!!
Uh oh.... thought it was the vet who told you not to bring your moggies. I really must read things through before putting my big foot into it. Your parents are probably thinking of the cost to you....
Old Oct 6th 2009, 9:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree with what everyone else has said. If they are part of your "family" then bring them. Yes, it is expensive, but if you love them then bring them. We shipped 2 dobermans and were also told that the Kiwi's aren't "dog lovers" - I think they are, but they also have working dogs and outside dogs perhaps more so than we are used to. Doesn't mean they don't love them, but perhaps they aren't quite as sentimental about them as we can be?

I almost lost my dear old dobbie 6 weeks ago, he's nearly 11. He's recovered well, but he's certainly taken on the role of "old" dog very rapidly. But it reiterated to all of us how special he is as part of our family.

We used Airpets and they were brilliant.

Meant to say though, depending on how many you have, renting a property may be more difficult.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

I have two adorable puddy-kats

Yeah, renting may be a pain but we shall see. It will also depend on where I find work!! If it my move to NZ ends up perminant (I hope it does ), I will just sell up in the UK and buy in NZ. Problem solved that way. Pity it is a long term solution though.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice

Its soooo nice to hear that others have been thinking the same as me about there much loved pets, we have 2 dogs which I DONT want to parted with, hubbys not so keen I think all he can see pound/dollars flying away before his eyes!
He views them as animals the rest of us as part of the family.
Think it will help with the settling in & adjustment stage, having fluffy friends who love you what ever!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

blackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to allblackburn lass is a name known to all

I have been wondering this week whether I should bring my dog with me or not, mainly because of the cost but also when we get there we hoefully will both be working fulltime as opposed to p/t here, would we be able to go to the beach with her at the weekend and all sorts of other stuff. It would break my heart to leave her. When I rang OH to tell him this he went mad and insists that I take her.........can't argue with that! Think I'd be sad without her.......look at her little face
Old Oct 6th 2009, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really niceMudplug is just really nice

Totally understand, cost is a huge worry, got a price for my little dog (border terrier) which ranged from 900 to 1,700 that was about 6 months ago, but just couldnt feel happy leaving them, we worked on the hubby and he agreed that we would take both, still expecting him to say no, but now he would have a fight on his hands!
Just think they are a good excuse to get out and explore, perhaps a way of meeting other like minded people, or just a loving friendly face when you get in the door.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Just think they are a good excuse to get out and explore, perhaps a way of meeting other like minded people, or just a loving friendly face when you get in the door.
How true is that? That is why I am looking to get a puppy. Can't go exploring with cats as they will go off on their own and HATE leads..... mmm I heard that Savannah (Breed) Cats love leads and walkies..... Big frack off cats though and £6000GBP a pop!!!

I'll get a puppy instead if I settle in NZ. I am thinking Border Collie I know there are a few breaders of them in NZ & they are so smart!
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

garfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to allgarfield250 is a name known to all

I bought four dogs out here (used Petair), unfortunately after four years one of my beloved dogs has gone to the big kennel in the sky.

They love the life out here, we are lucky in that we live in a rural area on a life sentence (opps lifestyle) block so they are happy just running around without having to jump into the car or hjave leads on them.

I would never have left my dogs back in the UK and would advise everyone wanting to bring their animals out here , just do it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 12:06 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi all,

Thanks, Gizzy.
Couldn't even imagine leaving my lovely cats behind when we emigrated. No cats . No emigration . They have such a great life here and didn't find the move stressful at all.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

No cats . No emigration
I know that feeling, but I still believe that I should do what is right for them first and formost.

Anywho, who is with me that it is never the human that is evil in the films, but always the cats they are stroking?

Cats are out to get us! Let's face it - it is impossible to feel angry when stroking a cat, yet the evil people in films ALWAYS have cats!!

Cats therefore = Evil!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.