British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Pets! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pets-889428/)

SkylarkR Jan 1st 2017 7:06 am

Pets!

Happy New Year everyone!

Does anyone haveany advice or experiences to share about pet shipping?

I have a 4yo dog whom we love dearly! But we are currently undecided as to whether she should come with us. I hate to think about leaving her behind but we can't ignore the HUGE costs to ship her over - and if we do decide at some point to head back the costs again.

Also, it would be massively stressful for her and I wonder if the best thing for us is also the best thing for her.

Any views or experiences?

chippy64 Jan 1st 2017 9:33 am

Re: Pets!

Who would you leave her with?

We brought our GSD/Collie X over. Yes, it cost a lot but for us, he was part of the family so he had to come with us.

When we did it (5 years ago) there was quite a lot of controversy over flying via HKG. It was reported that the animals were often left in their crates out in the open in extremely high temperatures. Because of this, we made sure he was booked via LAX.

He had to have 10 days quarantine once here but we were able to visit him. For us, it was the best decision, the only decision. Unfortunately, just 14 months later, he had to be pts :(. No regrets though, he lived out his life having a wonderful time.

So, make sure you use a reputable company and allow plenty of time for vaccinations etc. If you decide not to bring your dog, please make proper arrangements for her!

Pigdog Jan 2nd 2017 4:56 am

Stressful for her or you ??? We bought our two dogs over in 2014, I was the most stressed out of the three of us. Pet companies are very thoughtful and I found very caring. If and when you do decide to fly them over, wear an old shirt to bed for a couple of nights and then put the shirt in her flying container, it will have your smell which is calming to the pup.

Our dogs love it out here, so glad we bought them.

Bach Rescue Remedies do one for pets, a couple of drops in her water bowl will chill here out. I used to get it in Boots.

wakwak Jan 2nd 2017 8:55 pm

A dog is for life.... we are taking all three of ours, they are family!

Golden Arrow shippers have been awesome and will talk you through the options, they've been shipping animals for years

Please don't leave your dog behind

frog99 Jan 7th 2017 11:15 pm

I had to leave our boxer dog behind :(
We'd planned for him to come with us but at a vet check before he came, the vet advised us that due to the dogs serious heart condition, the stress would probably kill him on-route (he also couldn't be sedated or anything for the journey due to health reasons too)
We rehomed him with a family member and he actually died of cancer a year later....I know that leaving him was the best thing to do for him as he enjoyed life in his new home with someone he knew.
We got another dog in NZ about a year later...

SkylarkR Jan 8th 2017 5:38 pm

[QUOTE=chippy64;12140120]Who would you leave her with?

We brought our GSD/Collie X over. Yes, it cost a lot but for us, he was part of the family so he had to come with us.

When we did it (5 years ago) there was quite a lot of controversy over flying via HKG. It was reported that the animals were often left in their crates out in the open in extremely high temperatures. Because of this, we made sure he was booked via LAX.

Thanks for the info, so sorry to hear about your dog but I'm sure he had a wonderful time and was happy to be with you :) -

there have been a lot of tears here (mine!) .. we've now decided she is coming no matter what!! Do you mind me asking who you used?

SkylarkR Jan 8th 2017 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Pigdog (Post 12140620)
Stressful for her or you ??? We bought our two dogs over in 2014, I was the most stressed out of the three of us. Pet companies are very thoughtful and I found very caring. If and when you do decide to fly them over, wear an old shirt to bed for a couple of nights and then put the shirt in her flying container, it will have your smell which is calming to the pup.

Our dogs love it out here, so glad we bought them.

Bach Rescue Remedies do one for pets, a couple of drops in her water bowl will chill here out. I used to get it in Boots.

Thanks for the info . I do think it will be stressful for her - she isn't the most chilled out dog but I use various sprays etc which shipping companies have now confirmed they use too which will help.

Who did you ship your dogs with?

Pigdog Jan 8th 2017 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by SkylarkR (Post 12146032)
Thanks for the info . I do think it will be stressful for her - she isn't the most chilled out dog but I use various sprays etc which shipping companies have now confirmed they use too which will help.

Who did you ship your dogs with?

We used passportforpets.co.uk , they flew Heathrow, LA, Auckland with Air New Zealand. The quarantine kennels picked them up from Auckland. We didn't visit them in quarantine, didnt think it was fair to the dogs, or me!!!

Our Patterdale Terrier used to be a little s**t in the U.K., stressed all the time, she has definitely taken on the KIwi lifestyle, chilled as anything. The flight didn't affect our English Bull Terrier either, but then she is totally chilled.

movingtonewzealand Jan 15th 2017 2:14 am

Originally Posted by SkylarkR (Post 12140073)
Happy New Year everyone!

Does anyone haveany advice or experiences to share about pet shipping?

I have a 4yo dog whom we love dearly! But we are currently undecided as to whether she should come with us. I hate to think about leaving her behind but we can't ignore the HUGE costs to ship her over - and if we do decide at some point to head back the costs again.

Also, it would be massively stressful for her and I wonder if the best thing for us is also the best thing for her.

Any views or experiences?

Hi, we are bringing out our little dog & its costing us approx. £2500 (shipping, quarantine & vet costs).

I couldn't leave him behind but it's been very stressful sorting everything, especially relying on vets to do their job in the UK!

He is travelling this week so I won't sleep until I know he's OK!! We have used Golden Arrow as I have seen several recommendations from this site & others. They have been excellent & very patient with me & my questions!!

Most important thing if you're planning to bring your dog is that they need their rabies vaccination at least 6 months before they travel.

SkylarkR Jan 15th 2017 6:28 am

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand (Post 12152133)
Hi, we are bringing out our little dog & its costing us approx. £2500 (shipping, quarantine & vet costs).

I couldn't leave him behind but it's been very stressful sorting everything, especially relying on vets to do their job in the UK!

He is travelling this week so I won't sleep until I know he's OK!! We have used Golden Arrow as I have seen several recommendations from this site & others. They have been excellent & very patient with me & my questions!!

Most important thing if you're planning to bring your dog is that they need their rabies vaccination at least 6 months before they travel.

Thanks for this. She had her rabies jab last October so we are good for that. Ive had a quote from Golden Arrow as they were recommended to me too (albeit by a removal company). Would be really keen to know how you get on.

movingtonewzealand Jan 21st 2017 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by SkylarkR (Post 12152208)
Thanks for this. She had her rabies jab last October so we are good for that. Ive had a quote from Golden Arrow as they were recommended to me too (albeit by a removal company). Would be really keen to know how you get on.

Hi, thought you'd like to know, we visited our dog yesterday (the same day he arrived in NZ), and I needn't have worried at all. He was delighted to see us, not listless or unhappy, which I was concerned he might be. He had travelled very well and he was just hungry when he arrived, so I'm told. It's incredible how resilient they are, after being in a crate for approx. 40 hours in total!

Golden Arrow have been amazing the whole way through, I would recommend them wholeheartedly. They really care about you and your pet and I'm so happy I heard about them from this site!

Just counting down the days now til he's allowed to come home!

SkylarkR Jan 22nd 2017 11:56 am

Thank you so much for updating me. I am considering golden arrow - even more so now.

Hope you have him home with you soon :)