Petrol!!!!

Old May 20th 2008, 7:06 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Petrol!!!!

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Banana Crisis?
Yep. After Cyclone Larry in 2006 it was a joke, that kind of became real for some people, where people would bring Bananas along to dinner parties in Australia. I actually know people who brought them along to a party (so not just an urban legend). They are a bit odd though...

read more here:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...084055428.html

Actually, i think the cost per kilo for bananas got a lot higher but the article does begin to explain the issue.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Yep. After Cyclone Larry in 2006 it was a joke, that kind of became real for some people, where people would bring Bananas along to dinner parties in Australia. I actually know people who brought them along to a party (so not just an urban legend). They are a bit odd though...

read more here:
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...084055428.html

Actually, i think the cost per kilo for bananas got a lot higher but the article does begin to explain the issue.
Thanks for that!!!
Old May 20th 2008, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice

not really simon. It's all about bets i.e. speculation. the current price is being driven purely by speculation. Infact the 'real' price of oil should be around a third less. Though oil is being consumed more in India and China, then again fears of recession throughout the world is not really affecting the price of oil. In the long term very high oil prices is not even beneficial for opec as such prices will drive research into alternative (i.e. competitive) energy sources even more.

However oil companies in NZ are definitely playing a game as I'm sure they have hedged their buying price. Taranaki is selling its oil for 65$ despite the price have doubled....because they have contracted that amount months ago.

In the meantime, we are paying the price for no govt interference in this cartel
Old May 20th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knightm
not really simon. It's all about bets i.e. speculation. the current price is being driven purely by speculation. Infact the 'real' price of oil should be around a third less. Though oil is being consumed more in India and China, then again fears of recession throughout the world is not really affecting the price of oil. In the long term very high oil prices is not even beneficial for opec as such prices will drive research into alternative (i.e. competitive) energy sources even more.

However oil companies in NZ are definitely playing a game as I'm sure they have hedged their buying price. Taranaki is selling its oil for 65$ despite the price have doubled....because they have contracted that amount months ago.

In the meantime, we are paying the price for no govt interference in this cartel
I agree with you, that was just TV One's take on the situation... the thing that get's me is the way they report records highs everyday for the price of a barrel of oil. How has a barrel of oil that's sat in a storage area for three months suddenly gone up 3 cents one day, 2 cents the next, 5 cents the day after that and so on and so on... it's infuriating...
Old May 20th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Knightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really niceKnightm is just really nice

Fully in agreement Simon. Just read the articles on Herald or Dompost. when they report a fuel price increase, it's always the same. There is no investigative journalism...
Old May 20th 2008, 9:53 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Knightm
Fully in agreement Simon. Just read the articles on Herald or Dompost. when they report a fuel price increase, it's always the same. There is no investigative journalism...
Or you get sent these emails at work;

LET'S JUST DO IT ! ! !

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' PETROL FOR ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET PETROL BACK DOWN TO $1.00 PER Litre....hopefully

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this winter, take time to read this PLEASE.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy petrol on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May!

It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

Petrol prices have hit $ 2.00 a litre and they might go higher!! Want petrol prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy petrol.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking petrol priced at about $1.50 is cheap.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre of gas is CHEAP at $1.50, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers.

With the price of fuel going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their petrol! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying petrol.

But we CAN have an impact on petrol prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from BP

NZ the biggest price- up driver company.

If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of BP NZ petrol buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 20 people. If each of us send it to at least ten more (20 x 10 = 200) .. And those 200 send it to at least ten more (200 x 10 = 2000 ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over TWO MILLION consumers.

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW THE $1.50 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

Simple – send the message along to other and DO NOT buy petrol from BP NZ..
Old May 20th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS here
You have to factor in what you are actually earning in NZ & not compare UK prices to NZ ones. A price of $1.90 per litre is hugely expensive here in NZ when earning NZ dollars
I think this quote is really only applicable to ex London high flyers who were used to earning big money there and find that they can't get the same type of wage here. My wife is a nurse and I am a decorator. We are earning about the same here.

I think for more normal jobs the wages are about the same. So I think petrol here is still better value and car insurance is cheaper.

People will forever moan about fuel prices, it is the way of the world, but it will always rise.
Old May 20th 2008, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

thebuyerofshite is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chippy64
Here in Tonbridge, petrol is now £1.13 a litre :curse:. What's price like in NZ these days?
I paid £1.20 for a litre of diesel in the UK today!!!

Must get more vegetable oil , though even that went up 2 weeks ago from 56p to £1.07. Supermarkets are getting wiser and the cheapest I can now find is 95p! Still better than £1.20!

Last edited by thebuyerofshite; May 20th 2008 at 9:23 pm.
Old May 20th 2008, 10:12 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BEVS
You have to factor in what you are actually earning in NZ & not compare UK prices to NZ ones. A price of $1.90 per litre is hugely expensive here in NZ when earning NZ dollars

Originally Posted by lizard
I think this quote is really only applicable to ex London high flyers who were used to earning big money there and find that they can't get the same type of wage here.
I think for more normal jobs the wages are about the same. [/quote]

Tell that to all the locals around us here , those on the minimum wage & those needing fuel for commercial businesses as in our small local fishing fleet.

I'll stick to the view that NZ petrol is not less or more affordable than UK petrol . It will depend on your circumstances and earnings. When looking at NZ costs , it is best to only offset them against NZ net earnings and not translate back into ££ at all.

A plumbers wife.