Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Peter Bills- Cost of Living

Peter Bills- Cost of Living

Old May 16th 2011, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future
Default Peter Bills- Cost of Living

Those of you familiar with Peter Bills- of The Independent, a rugby writer, wrote an article several months ago about the cost of living, or, more specifically, the cost of being a tourist in NZ……has now had a pop about the cost of living in the UK.

Here’s the link: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=10725843

He was scathing of NZ, in particular, the service industry & what bars & restaurants were charging currently & then extrapolated these costs out of the Rugby World Cup & came to the (accurate) conclusion that those who are planning on charging like wounded bulls during RWC will do irreparable damage to the tourism industry here in NZ. It also triggered significant opinion & almost without exception, kiwis who had returned to NZ after living overseas (such as Justin Marshall), were staggered with how much costs had risen. I thought it was a brave & timely article & subsequently listened to him on the radio justifying his comments- he is a rugby man first, but was on the money with how much more expensive NZ had become & the long term damage this was doing, all for short term gain.

Anyhoooo, he’s turned his sights on the UK. I write this piece because we see a few expats longing for the prices of the UK. Well, apparently, it’s getting worse in the UK, too. One example, which I don’t even think NZ could match is a 500% increase in council tax in just a few years.
Old May 16th 2011, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Peter Bills- Cost of Living

Food prices in Germany rose up to 43% last year and it was announced that the times of cheap food prices are finally over. I don't want to think about energy or gasoline prices :-(
But Berlin is still a cheap tourist destination. However, in terms of numbers of visitors per year it comes right behind Paris and Berlin. Visit Berlin guys
Old May 16th 2011, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Howick
Those of you familiar with Peter Bills- of The Independent, a rugby writer, wrote an article several months ago about the cost of living, or, more specifically, the cost of being a tourist in NZ……has now had a pop about the cost of living in the UK.

Here’s the link: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/opinion/ne...ectid=10725843

He was scathing of NZ, in particular, the service industry & what bars & restaurants were charging currently & then extrapolated these costs out of the Rugby World Cup & came to the (accurate) conclusion that those who are planning on charging like wounded bulls during RWC will do irreparable damage to the tourism industry here in NZ. It also triggered significant opinion & almost without exception, kiwis who had returned to NZ after living overseas (such as Justin Marshall), were staggered with how much costs had risen. I thought it was a brave & timely article & subsequently listened to him on the radio justifying his comments- he is a rugby man first, but was on the money with how much more expensive NZ had become & the long term damage this was doing, all for short term gain.

Anyhoooo, he’s turned his sights on the UK. I write this piece because we see a few expats longing for the prices of the UK. Well, apparently, it’s getting worse in the UK, too. One example, which I don’t even think NZ could match is a 500% increase in council tax in just a few years.
The article is a piece of nonsense. He has quoted random prices such as a glass of wine for £7. What is the price for a normal glass of wine in a normal pub? A lot less than £7!!!

As for the part I have highlighted in bold. An increase from £300 to £1,600 in a "few years". Perhaps if he had defined what a "few years" was it might have more credibility. I lived in Oxfordshire 20 years ago and my Council Tax was in excess of £400 for a 2 bedroomed house so he is talking sheer unadulterated nonsense to say the CT on a 3 bedroomed house was £300 a "few years" ago.

I have no idea how much Council Tax has risen in England (part of the UK) in the last "few years" but in Scotland (also a part of the UK), Council Tax has been frozen for the last 4 years.

The man should be writing for the Daily Mail.
Old May 16th 2011, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leither
I have no idea how much Council Tax has risen in England (part of the UK) in the last "few years" but in Scotland (also a part of the UK), Council Tax has been frozen for the last 4 years.
It must have risen heaps in England to subsidise the freezing in Scotland!
Old May 16th 2011, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Leither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud ofLeither has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Woodlea
It must have risen heaps in England to subsidise the freezing in Scotland!
That is the point: it has not risen "heaps" and Council Tax in England does not in any shape or form subsidise Council Tax in Scotland.

Go back to reading your Daily Mail and thinking how awesome it is that you no longer live here.

Perhaps when you are better informed you will be better placed to express an opinion rather than soputing off and looking like a buffoon.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

That is the point: it has not risen "heaps" and Council Tax in England does not in any shape or form subsidise Council Tax in Scotland.

Go back to reading your Daily Mail and thinking how awesome it is that you no longer live here.

Perhaps when you are better informed you will be better placed to express an opinion rather than soputing off and looking like a buffoon.
How rude!
Old May 16th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

The article is a piece of nonsense. He has quoted random prices such as a glass of wine for £7. What is the price for a normal glass of wine in a normal pub? A lot less than £7!!!

As for the part I have highlighted in bold. An increase from £300 to £1,600 in a "few years". Perhaps if he had defined what a "few years" was it might have more credibility. I lived in Oxfordshire 20 years ago and my Council Tax was in excess of £400 for a 2 bedroomed house so he is talking sheer unadulterated nonsense to say the CT on a 3 bedroomed house was £300 a "few years" ago.

The man should be writing for the Daily Mail.
I read the article earlier, I agree totally with your comments, the guy's grasp of facts is pathetic, even worse research than his article on NZ. He should stick to rugby maybe he knows something about that.
Old May 16th 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
I read the article earlier, I agree totally with your comments, the guy's grasp of facts is pathetic, even worse research than his article on NZ. He should stick to rugby maybe he knows something about that.
I certainly hope so as he will never make it as a current affairs or economics journalist.

I'm not sure it's even a pathetic grasp of facts or the fact that he has picked worst case scenarios and exagerrated them or just plain lied. In the Council Tax example I would say it was a lie as it has never been possible to pay £300 in Oxfordshire.

Most of the people commenting on his article seem to have seen through his horsepoop.
Old May 16th 2011, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Howick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant futureHowick has a brilliant future

Leither,

Wind your neck back in, mate- it's a commentary. I suppose the Lonely Planet are talking out of their collectives arses, too?
Old May 17th 2011, 2:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Peter Bills- Cost of Living

A lot of how expensive a country is to visit is to do with the current exchange rate more than relative actual costs between the two countries.

BB
Old May 17th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Leither,

Wind your neck back in, mate- it's a commentary. I suppose the Lonely Planet are talking out of their collectives arses, too?

Wind my neck in??

I don't think so. Not when I see blatant crap posted susch as Council Tax rising from £300 to £1,600 in a "few years" and people believing it.
Old May 17th 2011, 7:55 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is also going to seem very cheap in comparison to many European countries. I've just looked at a catalogue for Tesco in Ireland and their prices are twice our normal prices here e.g. one sirloin steak was 5 Euro - on special!
Old May 17th 2011, 8:08 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly where was this 500% increase in council tax?Anyone who believes that sort of rubbish needs their head examined. Next they'll be telling us that it gets dark at 3 in the afternoon in Britain and everyone talks like they do on Eastenders.

Last time I was in Britain I was stunned at how cheap everything was (except petrol of course) but that could be because of the excellent exchange rate at the time, food and clothing was practically given away.

Bills is obviously trying to buy himself back into favour to score a commentator's free ticket at the world cup. And with the prices that are being charged, who can blame him?
Old May 17th 2011, 8:34 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Wind my neck in??

I don't think so. Not when I see blatant crap posted susch as Council Tax rising from £300 to £1,600 in a "few years" and people believing it.
Good luck, there is an awful lot of "blatant crap" on the internet, make a list and work through it one by one
Old May 17th 2011, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Good luck, there is an awful lot of "blatant crap" on the internet, make a list and work through it one by one
I've just started on the list. I am going to divide it into chapters and will hopefully have the first chapter completed around about 2045

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.