pet carriers

Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Default pet carriers

Still haven't got an actual moving date, but looking into getting the dog vaccinated ready for the off! As well as getting quotes from various pet carriers!

I know threads have been done on this before, but I can't seem to locate them...
...which ones did you all use
...is there any we should steer clear of?
...which would you recommend?
...how much did you pay?

So many questions, so little time
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pet carriers

We used these:-

http://www.parair.co.uk/

Based in Colchester, but ours were picked up from Loughborough.

Cost about £2700 for 2 dogs & a cat.

Vaccinations, bloodtests etc. we got them all done at our local vets, more than 1/2 the price of any carrier company doing them. that cost about £700ish.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

We also use PAR AIR, and cat was in better shape than we were when we got here, they were very good and we would highly recommend them. Our cat is a long haired cat and when he arrived his coat was in excellent condition, they had obviously brushed his coat everyday because if you don't he always ends up with large knots.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

NermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really niceNermaltheCute is just really nice

Not being picky but you don't get your pooch vaccinated you get them blood tested to check they aren't carrying diseases that NZ don't want. In fact I've been advised not to have my 2 vaccinated in the run up to the move as Leptospirosis is one of the vaccines we give that NZ tests against so you end up with a raised blood count for this and will need it re testing to ensure it's not a rising count. Not that I've read up on this or anything .

We've had quotes from many companies, far more than we got for our container and thanks mainly to previous recommendations on here we are going to use Golden Arrow - who don't have a web site. Very nice, very knowledgable people. They organise all the tests and the only thing that your vet needs to do is take the blood - bear that in mind when you get the quotes as our vets quoted £300-400 for the tests which will be on top of any carriage costs. I think we are looking at £5000 and a bit all in for 2 dogs, one of which is a GSD cross and his size is an issue for regional airports.

Good luck with it all
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We used Golden Arrow who are based in Shropshire. They were absolutely brilliant and would highly recommend them. We did not bring a dog over (although they do dogs too) but 2cats. The cost for the 2 cats was around £1,600. We paid just over £2,000 because we did not have time to do all the tests ourselves as we had a deadline to get out here for hubby's job. They stayed with Golden Arrow for just over 3 weeks this is why it was extra, plus they had to be collected because we had sold both cars. We used to ring daily from NZ to check they were ok and they could not have been more friendly. Our cats arrived in top condition and no problems whatsoever. They don't have a website but if you google them you will get a contact number.

If I can provide any further information, please do not hesitate to ask.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Badass Barrass will become famous soon enough

I must agree with above Golden Arrow in shropshire were superb,pity our little dog had to endure that long flight but was ok on arrival.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

debj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud ofdebj has much to be proud of

Hi Cheryl, glad you starting to get sorted to get out here!

We too used Golden Arrow; am compelled to reply simply because they were absolutely fantastic! We have a very sensitive German Shepherd who pined so much in the kennel, she nearly didn't make it out here. We had options, in that we could have left her with Matt's mum and dad, and very nearly did, but the fab people at Golden Arrow kept her in the house for the last 2 nights I believe, treating her with toast (her favourite) and giving her fuss so she was good to go. They were in daily contact with us over her in the time between us leaving and her arriving, and on the evening of her arrival we got a phone call to make sure she'd made it out ok. She did, has settled very very well and is loving New Zealand beaches!

Golden Arrow gave us detailed instructions re vaccinations etc, helpful on phone too. Would highly recommend.

Keep us posted with moving dates!
Deb.

Last edited by debj; Jan 14th 2009 at 6:54 am.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:33 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Cheryl,

We used http://www.airpets.com/ who we thought were fantastic too! Extremely well organised and I only ever dealt with the same person from my initial email enquiry to dropping the dogs at their kennels next to London Heathrow.

I was guided over the phone with dates and timings etc, and they even phoned my vet to discuss his reluctance to let me carry out the stool sample myself at home ... Which I had the dubious pleasure of doing in the end!

Really straight forward, caring, personal service that I would highly recommend. Costs for 2 dobermans was around 6,000 GBP

Hopefully see you out here soon.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:36 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debj
Hi Cheryl, glad you starting to get sorted to get out here!

We too used Golden Arrow; am compelled to reply simply because they were absolutely fantastic! We have a very sensitive German Shepherd who pined so much in the kennel, she nearly didn't make it out here. We had options, in that we could have left her with Matt's mum and dad, and very nearly did, but the fab people at Golden Arrow kept her in the house for the last 2 nights I believe, treating her with toast (her favourite) and giving her fuss so she was good to go. They were in daily contact with us over her in the time between us leaving and her arriving, and on the evening of her arrival we got a phone call to make sure she'd made it out ok. She did, has settled very very well and is loving New Zealand beaches!

Golden Arrow gave us detailed instructions re vaccinations etc, helpful on phone too. Would highly recommend.

Keep us posted with moving dates!
Deb.
Hi we used LADYHAYE in Surrey did for me the same as Golden Arrow my dog had not messed all the way but drank so much water after so hope this may help you www.ladyhaye.co.uk tel 01342 832161 (that was back in 2003) and do take water with you when you call at MAFF/CUSTOMS to pick the dog up in NZ.
And they can also manufacture the Ministry approved travel kennels for you just have a box of tissues after you leave the dog
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:44 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Cheryl,

We used http://www.airpets.com/ who we thought were fantastic too! Extremely well organised and I only ever dealt with the same person from my initial email enquiry to dropping the dogs at their kennels next to London Heathrow.

I was guided over the phone with dates and timings etc, and they even phoned my vet to discuss his reluctance to let me carry out the stool sample myself at home ... Which I had the dubious pleasure of doing in the end!

Really straight forward, caring, personal service that I would highly recommend. Costs for 2 dobermans was around 6,000 GBP

Hopefully see you out here soon.
Hi no way could I have done any stool sample :curse: TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU GIRL did any one advise you to be a nurse