Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Perth VS New Zealand

Perth VS New Zealand

Old Aug 12th 2003, 11:33 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Note...

Im not getting on anyones side. Just thought i would feed your little tiff a little.

Check out this link. Info on Auckland.

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auck.../ethnicity.asp
Old Aug 12th 2003, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by PeteY
Note...

Im not getting on anyones side. Just thought i would feed your little tiff a little.

Check out this link. Info on Auckland.

http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/auck.../ethnicity.asp

An excerpt from your link (all about Auckland, as you say) Pete:

"The Asian population experienced the greatest share of growth, up from 25,000 in 1991 to 63,000 (18 per cent) in 2001. This growth is reflected in Auckland's fast-growing Chinese population, which is now equivalent to the Maori population at 8 per cent."

I said that Auckland's Asian (incl Chinese) population today (2003) is 20% - it was 18% in 2001, I agree, but it is 20% now.

I said that the NZ govt prediction is that 40% of Auck's population will be Asian by 2021. If anything, this looks a modest prediction, and it may be higher.

That is a large fraction, I am sure anyone will agree, and I question the wisdom of getting up to such levels. I am not bothered whether it is Asian, Italian, French, German, or Outer Mongolian, but I do say that, in my personal opinion, it is not good for NZ's main city, and the only real city in NZ with a third of the whole country's population, to become 40% Asian in such a short period.

I see significant social problems ahead for Auck, and NZ in general, with these massive changes in the very near future (just 18 years, which, to me, is a very short period).
Old Aug 13th 2003, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

grahamclan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Given that Auck is going to be more and more the only part of NZ that has careers beyond trades and fruit picking, the situation in Auckland should be very important to anyone with plans to go to NZ because they may well end up having to move there for work, like many many kiwis do.
More rubbish from Mr Wilf. There was a poll on here a while back and there was only 28% of us based in Auckland.

Christchurch, Wellington, Dunedin all have actuarys, accountants, lawyers, engineers, business analysts, policy advisors, economists, computer programmers.......so you're destroying any credibility you have by thinking otherwise.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by grahamclan
More rubbish from Mr Wilf. There was a poll on here a while back and there was only 28% of us based in Auckland.

Christchurch, Wellington, Dunedin all have actuarys, accountants, lawyers, engineers, business analysts, policy advisors, economists, computer programmers.......so you're destroying any credibility you have by thinking otherwise.
Are you one of these "learning difficulties" boys?

I have been talking about NZ's future, not the present. I am also talking about Nz as a whole, and of the opportunities for immos, not native born kiwis. Of course there are a few professionals in NZ's provincial centres, and always will be. Jesus, how thick are you?
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Are you one of these "learning difficulties" boys?

I have been talking about NZ's future, not the present. I am also talking about Nz as a whole, and of the opportunities for immos, not native born kiwis. Of course there are a few professionals in NZ's provincial centres, and always will be. Jesus, how thick are you?
Getting abusive reveals alot about someone's character or lack thereof.

Irrespective of more Asians in the future for Auckland, 72% of expats on this site in NZ do not live there so it is irrelevant. Further, Asians are normally hard-working & polite people (generalising of course) so the overall effect will not neccessarily be negative.

Further, I personally know expats in NZ's other centres that do have such highly skilled jobs such as actuarys, engineers, computer programmers etc so your assertion that they're only available for native kiwis is extremely ignorant.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Getting abusive reveals alot about someone's character or lack thereof.

Irrespective of more Asians in the future for Auckland, 72% of expats on this site in NZ do not live there so it is irrelevant. Further, Asians are normally hard-working & polite people (generalising of course) so the overall effect will not neccessarily be negative.

Further, I personally know expats in NZ's other centres that do have such highly skilled jobs such as actuarys, engineers, computer programmers etc so your assertion that they're only available for native kiwis is extremely ignorant.

Grow up, son. You said "more rubbish from Mr Wilf" and attacked me for my posts before I had ever even heard of you, so pack in this moral high ground stuff now. You really can pretend to be an adult whilst insulting me and then saying "Getting abusive reveals alot about someone's character or lack thereof" like some old lady shocked at my behaviour?

Thank god I have more self respect than a prat like you and can at least be held responsible for what I say. Do not post to me anymore because I am sick of dealing with little prats like you who try to wriggle out of your own rudeness and attack me for being rude.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:28 am
Just Joined

cheriepie is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice work grahamclan, you proved that Wilf wrong
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by cheriepie
Nice work grahamclan, you proved that Wilf wrong
"that Wilf" said:

20% of Auckland's population in 2003 is Asian
40% of Auckland's population in 2021 will be Asian

How did grahamclan do "nice work" and prove me "wrong"?
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

"that Wilf" said:

20% of Auckland's population in 2003 is Asian
40% of Auckland's population in 2021 will be Asian

How did grahamclan do "nice work" and prove me "wrong"?
Easy. You tried to infer that more Asians in Auckland was a major problem until I pointed out:
(1) "72% of expats on this site in NZ do not live there so it is irrelevant" and
(2) "Asians are normally hard-working & polite people (generalising of course) so the overall effect will not neccessarily be negative"

You also tried to infer that expats would struggle to get jobs in other NZ centres other than fruit-picking & trades until I pointed out:
"I personally know expats in NZ's other centres that do have such highly skilled jobs such as actuarys, engineers, computer programmers etc so your assertion that they're only available for native kiwis is extremely ignorant."
Old Aug 13th 2003, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Easy. You tried to infer that more Asians in Auckland was a major problem until I pointed out:
(1) "72% of expats on this site in NZ do not live there so it is irrelevant" and
(2) "Asians are normally hard-working & polite people (generalising of course) so the overall effect will not neccessarily be negative"

You also tried to infer that expats would struggle to get jobs in other NZ centres other than fruit-picking & trades until I pointed out:
"I personally know expats in NZ's other centres that do have such highly skilled jobs such as actuarys, engineers, computer programmers etc so your assertion that they're only available for native kiwis is extremely ignorant."

1. I was "talking" with a bloke who lives in Auck when you turned up, so my comments were relevant to him. I do not post just for you, son. As I say, I am not your mum and dad and do not live with graham's interests at my heart.

2. Fine. I did not say that I care one way or the other whether you personally like the future of NZ - I do not live in Auck or NZ, thank god, and never would.

As a general tip, graham, I do not post just for you, but for anyone interested to read my stuff, and I am not your dad and so do not sweeten my pills for your bedtime consumption.

You need to grow up son.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Wilf

I sent an email to the Stats NZ helpline about the future Asian population to see if they could settle our debate and they responsed as follows:

"We have not previously produced subnational Asian population projections. However, we are planning to release 2001-base subnational ethnic population projections later this year. This would include projections of the broad Maori, Pacific, Asian and European ethnic groups, probably at regional level."

I don't believe the 40% of Asians in Auckland by 2021 that you keep stating as a Government prediction and can't find any reference to it anywhere.

20% is fine, 40% would not be balanced but I can't find any reference to your 40%. It's not coming from the Government.

Has your brother in law got a prediction for the Bledisloe Cup this weekend?
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Given the way you have avoided the question of how long you have been in NZ, I presume it is not long. I have spent long periods in NZ and Auckland and may well have more experience of living there than you, so your stories of holidays to Mexico, etc are childish rubbish to avoid standing up like an adult and admitting that your experience is limited.

My views on NZ are based on spending something like 2 years in total there over the years, having information and day to day experiences from many friends and rellies (incl those in Auckland) who are there permanently and have been so for decades as opposed to the few months you have been there.

You are a recent arrival and have no perspective on the changes afoot in NZ, and Auck in particular. You cannot be condemned for your narrow and naive view, it is not your fault, but be patient before giving judgement on your new home - I think you will come round to my view within 2 years and then you may remember what you said here and feel very daft.
Wilf you need to get your life story sorted out. One minute you claim "I have lived in Oz for all my adult life" and now you claim you spend 2 years in total in NZ. How did you manage this when you've spent all your adult life in Oz. Either as a tourist or many moons ago when you were a child.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by smithone
Wilf

I sent an email to the Stats NZ helpline about the future Asian population to see if they could settle our debate and they responsed as follows:

"We have not previously produced subnational Asian population projections. However, we are planning to release 2001-base subnational ethnic population projections later this year. This would include projections of the broad Maori, Pacific, Asian and European ethnic groups, probably at regional level."

I don't believe the 40% of Asians in Auckland by 2021 that you keep stating as a Government prediction and can't find any reference to it anywhere.

20% is fine, 40% would not be balanced but I can't find any reference to your 40%. It's not coming from the Government.

Has your brother in law got a prediction for the Bledisloe Cup this weekend?

You seem to accept that 20% of Auck's current population is Asian.

I have told you that the 40% by 2021 prediction was broadcast on Nz radio.

I have shown very clearly how, using the current figure of 20% and information published by Auckland Health board, you can easily and very logically arrive at a figure of 43% as a future prediction.

You say that Statistics Nz say they have not released the 40% figure but you also do not say that they challenge it or, in fact, that they say anything except "we will be publishing figures in the future", so they say nothing to contradict me and say nothing to contribute to this "debate".

I will just say this:

2003 - 20% of Auckland's population is Asian (official figures)
2021 - approx 40% of Auckland's population will be Asian.

If you do not agree, fine. We can wait and see, if you are still there and are still interested, and if I am still alive.

Your bledisloe cup thing is hilarious. It will cheer you up in the future no doubt, because you will need a good laugh.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by smithone
Wilf you need to get your life story sorted out. One minute you claim "I have lived in Oz for all my adult life" and now you claim you spend 2 years in total in NZ. How did you manage this when you've spent all your adult life in Oz. Either as a tourist or many moons ago when you were a child.

You really want me to reply to this?

You need me to say "all my adult life" is a phrase and does not mean to account for every year?

I will not bother any more.
Old Aug 13th 2003, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Can't believe this debate is atill going on, but at the end of the day does it realy matter what percentage of NZ / Auckland is made up of Asians ?
A generilisation I know, but they tend to be very hard working people so why would that be to the detriment of a country ? There is an indiginous race of NZ , more than half sit on the dole and expect all things to handed them on a plate - I consider them to be more harmfull to the ecconomy then Asian xpats who move to this country, work hard and pay tax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.