Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Perth VS New Zealand

Perth VS New Zealand

Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
You are fond of cold hard figures I thought?

Asian population of Auckland now - 20%
Asian population of Auckland 2021 - predicted (by NZ govt) 40%

In 18 years time, getting on for 1 in 3 in Auckland will be Asian, and that is by the reckoning of your NZ govt that you have such faith in.

I have visited Auckland many times and have seen it change over a 30 year period. I bet you have been in Auckland for 1 year or so? When did you first go to Auckland? You have no perspective.

You live in Auckland and you find these figures hard to believe? Now I know you do not know what you are talking about.
Living in a country gives you a much better perspective of a country then coming here on holiday to visit family.

I've been to France many times over the last 30 years but I would say that a person living in Paris for a year has a much better perspective of life in France than me.

I went to Mexico once but that doesn't make me a informed social commentator on Mexico's social problems.

I would pay more attention to the comments of a local as opposed to those of a tourist.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

You are fond of cold hard figures I thought?

Asian population of Auckland now - 20%
Asian population of Auckland 2021 - predicted (by NZ govt) 40%

In 18 years time, getting on for 1 in 3 in Auckland will be Asian, and that is by the reckoning of your NZ govt that you have such faith in.

I have visited Auckland many times and have seen it change over a 30 year period. I bet you have been in Auckland for 1 year or so? When did you first go to Auckland? You have no perspective.

You live in Auckland and you find these figures hard to believe? Now I know you do not know what you are talking about.
Living in a country gives you a much better perspective of a country then coming here on holiday to visit family.

I've been to France many times over the last 30 years but I would say that a person living in Paris for a year has a much better perspective of life in France than me.

I went to Mexico once but that doesn't make me a informed social commentator on Mexico's social problems.

I would pay more attention to the comments of a local as opposed to those of a tourist.

Your views on NZ are not real world experiences.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Another piece of garbage from Wilf

In 2001, Europeans made up 65.7 per cent of the population of Auckland city, down from 73.1 per cent in 1991. Maori and Pacific Islands populations remained fairly static, decreasing 1 per cent between 1991 and 2001 to make up 8.4 and 13.7 per cent of the population respectively.

The Asian population experienced the greatest share of growth, up from 25,000 in 1991 to 63,000 (18 per cent) in 2001. This growth is reflected in Auckland's fast-growing Chinese population, which is now equivalent to the Maori population at 8 per cent.

This is only considering the city of Auckland itself, consider the other areas of Auckland, North Shore, West Auckland, etc the European component increases considerably.

Full Story

You have proved my point Paul, thanks.

I said that Asian poulation in Auck now (2003) is 20%. Your quote here gives 18% in 2001, so my 20% in 2003 is 18% + growth since 2001. I read the figure of 20% last week and it is officially acknowledged:

The Asian population of Auckland is 20%.

As for my figure of 40%, that is the official NZ govt prediction for Auck in 2021, just 18 years time. I do question the wisdom of having 40% of one city being Asian (or Italian, or anything you like, so race is not important here) because it is too much change and too quickly, and is going to make kiwis and Maoris feel overwhelmed, as it would anyone. For myself, I care not - I am not living in NZ or ever would - but I think future kiwis may be interested to know that the only proper city in NZ (and where most of the work is) is going to be 40% Asian in just 18 years time.

Given that Auck is going to be more and more the only part of NZ that has careers beyond trades and fruit picking, the situation in Auckland should be very important to anyone with plans to go to NZ because they may well end up having to move there for work, like many many kiwis do.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Wilf

Can you post a link to the source of the 'the official NZ govt prediction"

Smithone
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by smithone

Your views on NZ are not real world experiences.
Given the way you have avoided the question of how long you have been in NZ, I presume it is not long. I have spent long periods in NZ and Auckland and may well have more experience of living there than you, so your stories of holidays to Mexico, etc are childish rubbish to avoid standing up like an adult and admitting that your experience is limited.

My views on NZ are based on spending something like 2 years in total there over the years, having information and day to day experiences from many friends and rellies (incl those in Auckland) who are there permanently and have been so for decades as opposed to the few months you have been there.

You are a recent arrival and have no perspective on the changes afoot in NZ, and Auck in particular. You cannot be condemned for your narrow and naive view, it is not your fault, but be patient before giving judgement on your new home - I think you will come round to my view within 2 years and then you may remember what you said here and feel very daft.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf

Can you post a link to the source of the 'the official NZ govt prediction"

Smithone

No, sorry, it was on the radio in NZ and I was told it by my brother in law.

Why not look on the NZ govt statistics website and see - it may be there.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Wilf,
Appreciate your comments, but are you helping.....no! This was a good thread until you hijacked it. We all appreciate constructive comments but I am at wits end to understand what you get out of all this.

Any psychology students out there who would consider studying the new phenomenon of 'obsessive-compulsive internet forum destructors'?? Wilf would be an interesting subject to interview.

There you are never wanted to get involved in slagging matches but hate to think the number of times I've openned up an interesting thread to discover Wilf/PB/Slipper demonstrating this new psycholgical phenomenon. What's it all about.

Regards.
Roger
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

I've checked the Government website and can't find any reference to the stats you are quoting.

So your brother in law is "'the official NZ govt" source.

Say no more.

Can you ask your brother in law what his prediction is for the free trade agreement with the US.

Re your other post - I've posted before that I've been here since MArch 2002 - enough time to form an opinion of a place.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:09 pm
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Roger
Wilf,
Appreciate your comments, but are you helping.....no! This was a good thread until you hijacked it. We all appreciate constructive comments but I am at wits end to understand what you get out of all this.

Any psychology students out there who would consider studying the new phenomenon of 'obsessive-compulsive internet forum destructors'?? Wilf would be an interesting subject to interview.

There you are never wanted to get involved in slagging matches but hate to think the number of times I've openned up an interesting thread to discover Wilf/PB/Slipper demonstrating this new psycholgical phenomenon. What's it all about.

Regards.
Roger
I don't think it's a new psychological phenomenon, its always been refered to as 'being a knobhead'.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've checked the Government website and can't find any reference to the stats you are quoting.

So your brother in law is "'the official NZ govt" source.

Say no more.

Can you ask your brother in law what his prediction is for the free trade agreement with the US.

Re your other post - I've posted before that I've been here since MArch 2002 - enough time to form an opinion of a place.

I knew you would say that but was honest anyway. I thought you might be interested in your real future rather than forum games but maybe not. You think that your comments about my source make it that Asians will not be coming to Auckland? Sorry, no.

Current Auckland Asian population is 20% (even Kiwipaul has admitted that it was 18% in 2001 and surely you accept that it is growing since then?). So that gives 20% of 1.2 million = 240,000. OK? Now, the Auckland health board in a quote I posted earlier said that the Asian population of Auckland will increase by 200% over next 20 years, and so that gives the future fraction of Asians in Auckland being:

(240,000+2*240,000)/(1,200,000 + 2*240,000) = 0.43

which is 43%, yes?

So the claim of 40% heard on NZ radio (the source - which means origin, not conduit - was NZ govt not brother in law) seems modest, and perhaps a bit low.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Roger
Wilf,

Regards.
Roger

If you are moving to Nz, you should be interested in the people living in your new country. I am telling you about it. If you are not interested in NZ, fine, ignore me. If you are, then listen.

I need not advice on my mental state from you, Rog.

All the best, Wilf
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

I knew you would say that but was honest anyway. I thought you might be interested in your real future rather than forum games but maybe not. You think that your comments about my source make it that Asians will not be coming to Auckland? Sorry, no.

Current Auckland Asian population is 20% (even Kiwipaul has admitted that it was 18% in 2001 and surely you accept that it is growing since then?). So that gives 20% of 1.2 million = 240,000. OK? Now, the Auckland health board in a quote I posted earlier said that the Asian population of Auckland will increase by 200% over next 20 years, and so that gives the future fraction of Asians in Auckland being:

(240,000+2*240,000)/(1,200,000 + 2*240,000) = 0.43

which is 43%, yes?

So the claim of 40% heard on NZ radio (the source - which means origin, not conduit - was NZ govt not brother in law) seems modest, and perhaps a bit low.
I'm aware of what the Asian population is now but I'm interested to read more about what the Govmt has to say. I'm not naive enough to believe that there are no Asians over here and agree that 40% Asian population in Auckland would not be ideal.

I'm interested in "'the official NZ govt" source for this not what Auckland District Health Board have to say. Can't find any reference to this on the Govmt website so suspect that your brother in law was listening to the rantings of Winston Peters which made the headlines a few months ago.

He is not an official spokesperson for NZ Government.

Show me "'the official NZ govt" source for your statements about 40%
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm aware of what the Asian population is now but I'm interested to read more about what the Govmt has to say. I'm not naive enough to believe that there are no Asians over here and agree that 40% Asian population in Auckland would not be ideal.

I'm interested in "'the official NZ govt" source for this not what Auckland District Health Board have to say. Can't find any reference to this on the Govmt website so suspect that your brother in law was listening to the rantings of Winston Peters which made the headlines a few months ago.

He is not an official spokesperson for NZ Government.

Show me "'the official NZ govt" source for your statements about 40%

I do not have a website for it, I told you that already, but also showed you how the figure was probably arrived at.

The Auckland health board is not NZ govt to you? OK.

Winston Peters does not make Asians come or go - as you say, he is not government - and so your comment is grandstanding. I will let you in to a secret here - if you say stuff about Winston Peters, Mexico, websites, etc it does nothing to the movement of people, and the future will still arrive.

I will knock off this stuff. Like I say, I do not care myself, but it seems you agree that 40% is not good and so maybe you need to care. If you are looking for a victory in saying Ihave no website, OK, you win. But are you not more concerned with the reality of NZ and Auck? The reality is that there is 20% Asians today as we write, and 40% within 18 years.

That is very serious stuff and your problem, not mine.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

I claim a resounding a victory on this Wilf and have spent 20 minutes on the Government website to prove my point.

Here is the official Government source that we've both been looking for and have extracted the key points to prove how wrong you are. The NZ government predict that by 2021 the Asian share of the popultation will be 13% not 40% that you claim.

"The Asian population is projected to grow from 272,000 in 2001 to 604,000 by 2021. This represents an increase of 331,000 or about 120 percent during the 20-year period.

The annual growth rate of the Asian population is projected to slow, from 13 percent in 2002 to 4 percent in 2007 and to under 2 percent by 2021.

Despite the slow-down in the growth rate, the Asian population is projected to grow at a faster pace than the total New Zealand population.

Because the Asian population is projected to grow at a faster rate than the total population, its share of the total population is projected to rise from 7 percent in 2001 to 13 percent in 2021. "

I rest my case my lord.

Source:

http://www.stats.govt.nz/domino/exte...+latest+trends
Old Aug 12th 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I claim a resounding a victory on this Wilf and have spent 20 minutes on the Government website to prove my point.

Here is the official Government source that we've both been looking for and have extracted the key points to prove how wrong you are. The NZ government predict that by 2021 the Asian share of the popultation will be 13% not 40% that you claim.

"The Asian population is projected to grow from 272,000 in 2001 to 604,000 by 2021. This represents an increase of 331,000 or about 120 percent during the 20-year period.

The annual growth rate of the Asian population is projected to slow, from 13 percent in 2002 to 4 percent in 2007 and to under 2 percent by 2021.

Despite the slow-down in the growth rate, the Asian population is projected to grow at a faster pace than the total New Zealand population.

Because the Asian population is projected to grow at a faster rate than the total population, its share of the total population is projected to rise from 7 percent in 2001 to 13 percent in 2021. "

I rest my case my lord.

Source:

http://www.stats.govt.nz/domino/exte...+latest+trends

I am not sure whether to feel sorry for you or laugh at you.

I am a kind old man and you have problems enough. I will go easy.

The figure you quote (13%) is the proportion of Asians IN THE WHOLE OF NEW ZEALAND. My 20% is for AUCKLAND today. My 40% is for AUCKLAND by 2021. Was it not you that said "auckland is not the same as New Zealand"?

I will say it again:

The Asian population OF AUCKLAND today is 20%
The Asian population OF AUCKLAND by 2021 will be approx 40%.

You are man enough to give me an apology or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.