Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Perth VS New Zealand

Perth VS New Zealand

Old Aug 11th 2003, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of the comments on this thread about New Zealand's economy made me chuckle. Some people seem to have lost sight of the fact that NZ has a population of only 4m in comparison to the US (274m) and UK (60m) so its never going to be an economic powerhouse. A picture seems to be painted that everyone is leaving because the economy is falling apart.

If its such a bleak country to migrate to then why have they changed the immigration policy to restrict the flow of people coming in.

Who cares that it's behind Mexico in the OECD rankings - economic prosperity doesn't equal great quality of life.

The NZ economy is small, but growing and there are job opportunities but you don't come here to make lots of money. As long as you are aware of this when you come then you won't have a problem.

For the record in terms of GDP Growth, NZ saw growth of 4.6% (2001/2002) in comparison to 2.4% in the US and a mere 1.8% in the UK.

Granted that its not on the same scale but the economy here is growing faster than the US and the UK.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

Well said smithone - good to hear from someone normal who doesn't think the only reason to move to a different country is to make loads of money
most people move to NZ for the beautiful scenery and an easier accesible outdoor lifestyleetc. which is all possible on an average wage, and is all a lot of us ask for
Old Aug 12th 2003, 4:47 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
Some of the comments on this thread about New Zealand's economy made me chuckle. Some people seem to have lost sight of the fact that NZ has a population of only 4m in comparison to the US (274m) and UK (60m) so its never going to be an economic powerhouse. A picture seems to be painted that everyone is leaving because the economy is falling apart.

If its such a bleak country to migrate to then why have they changed the immigration policy to restrict the flow of people coming in.

Who cares that it's behind Mexico in the OECD rankings - economic prosperity doesn't equal great quality of life.

The NZ economy is small, but growing and there are job opportunities but you don't come here to make lots of money. As long as you are aware of this when you come then you won't have a problem.

For the record in terms of GDP Growth, NZ saw growth of 4.6% (2001/2002) in comparison to 2.4% in the US and a mere 1.8% in the UK.

Granted that its not on the same scale but the economy here is growing faster than the US and the UK.
And since by tradition world GDP per capita comparisons are measured in USD, (with US GDP per capita given an index of 100,) surely NZD's appreciation of nearly 50% against the USD in the last 2 years has helped in the GDP per capita rankings?
Old Aug 12th 2003, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by xpat19
Well said smithone - good to hear from someone normal who doesn't think the only reason to move to a different country is to make loads of money
most people move to NZ for the beautiful scenery and an easier accesible outdoor lifestyleetc. which is all possible on an average wage, and is all a lot of us ask for

If you mean that I think it is important to make loads of money then I do not. I am also just concerned with the ability to earn a reasonable wage. This is not something that will be possible for many (especially white collar workers) in Nz in the future.

NZ has a bleak, unstable future. Recent BSE scare and the sudden effect on NZ$ shows just how dependent NZ still is on agriculture and jobs to support it. Not a good thing for the modern world and will prove very bad in the future. The other big problems in NZ are drugs and youth unemployment (especially polynesians), and future segragation Maoris/whites and Asian immigration to Auckland. I read recently that Asian population in Auckland will be about 30% by 2021 (it is 20% now) and that will lead to social unrest. Kiwis will end up serving Asian interests and doing menial work for them in their own country. It is funny that poms leave UK because of immigration eh?

Last edited by Wilf; Aug 12th 2003 at 5:05 am.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Wilf

Completely disagree about the ability for white collar workers to earn a decent wage over here. Check out the job section of the NZ Herald to see for yourself.

Agree that the Asian influx could be a problem if left uncontrolled but the immigration policy changed last year. New policy demanded high levels of English language capability before entry granted. It was seen as racist by the press.

Re - unemployment and drugs - you have this problem in every developed country and its no worse here than anywhere else.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf

Completely disagree about the ability for white collar workers to earn a decent wage over here. Check out the job section of the NZ Herald to see for yourself.

Agree that the Asian influx could be a problem if left uncontrolled but the immigration policy changed last year. New policy demanded high levels of English language capability before entry granted. It was seen as racist by the press.

Re - unemployment and drugs - you have this problem in every developed country and its no worse here than anywhere else.

Below is from Auckland Health board website. 2001 is the year of the 13% figures but it is 20% now, so perhaps the "new policy" is not slowing the growth? If there is going to be a slow down, it is news to NZ statistics people.

The numbers would be small for a country like the UK, but a little place like NZ? Such numbers and such huge fractions of the population - one in 3 people being Asian in 18 years time? - will go down very well with the Maoris and polynesian kids no doubt. Yes, Auckland, home to the only jobs NZ has to offer beyond apple picking and freezing works, will be a great place to live eh? So much better than the over-run UK?

Rather you than me.

Nearly 13% of the district’s population is made up of people from the Asian region, and health providers serving Asian people are being kept informed and invited to provide input. The Asian population in the greater Auckland region is expected to rise by 200 percent to 2021, if the current trends continue.

The numbers of refugees and asylum seekers living within the ADHB region is quite substantial. The numbers are estimated to be approximately 40,00 and rising by up to 2000 annually. This number is the total size of some other DHB’s entire population.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wilf All of the bad points you have quoted could be true of any country not just New Zealand - different ethnic groups obviously !
Can't say I've ever met any poms who have left the UK due to immigration, is that really the case ?
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Hence the Government's intervention to enforce high levels of English language capabilitity to keep out non English speaking nationals.

Once again Wilf your observations are second hand. You don't don't live in Auckland so my advice to prospective migrants is not to pay any attention to this guys posts on New Zealand.

I don't want to get sucked into another debate about NZ because you're not here experiencing it.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpat19
Originally posted by Wilf All of the bad points you have quoted could be true of any country not just New Zealand - different ethnic groups obviously !
Can't say I've ever met any poms who have left the UK due to immigration, is that really the case ?

Well, according to what is written when the "immigration to UK/refugees to UK" type threads crop up, I would say that yes, it seems a major reason for the people on this forum. I do not know what they think Oz and Nz will be like, but I know they are in for a surprise, especially if they are headed for one of the big cities because of work.

I have been to Auckland a few times - we know people in Grey Lynn and Howick - and when I walked down Queen Street (is that right or is it Queens?) where the main shops are in Auckland, I thought I was in Peking. No offence to these fellers, but there are well over 1000 million people in China and they could lose 10 million to NZ (and so become 70% of the NZ population) and still have 990 million to spare.

You know why I think that there will be no slow down in Asian immos? Because there are a lot of schools and colleges making a lot of money out of them and that is a big thing for NZ now eh? That is NZ's idea of getting away from farming - selling their school and college places to Asians. Thriving NZ indeed. Suppose NZ can only sell off its trains, etc once to cover up the debts eh?
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hence the Government's intervention to enforce high levels of English language capabilitity to keep out non English speaking nationals.

Once again Wilf your observations are second hand. You don't don't live in Auckland so my advice to prospective migrants is not to pay any attention to this guys posts on New Zealand.

I don't want to get sucked into another debate about NZ because you're not here experiencing it.

You are fond of cold hard figures I thought?

Asian population of Auckland now - 20%
Asian population of Auckland 2021 - predicted (by NZ govt) 40%

In 18 years time, getting on for 1 in 3 in Auckland will be Asian, and that is by the reckoning of your NZ govt that you have such faith in.

I have visited Auckland many times and have seen it change over a 30 year period. I bet you have been in Auckland for 1 year or so? When did you first go to Auckland? You have no perspective.

You live in Auckland and you find these figures hard to believe? Now I know you do not know what you are talking about.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wilf Don't make the mistake of thinking that Queen Street "is" Auckland.
Thats like saying that you know what England is like because you've been to London.
You will come accross a bigger section of asian people there becase there are a lot of Asian students that go to uni in the city.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Wilf Don't make the mistake of thinking that Queen Street "is" Auckland.
Thats like saying that you know what England is like because you've been to London.
You will come accross a bigger section of asian people there becase there are a lot of Asian students that go to uni in the city.
True. Queen Street is not all of Auckland and you are right, there are many who are students. Still, the proportions of Asians given by NZ govt figures are those normally resident, not just doing a night class, and so there are perhaps even more than the NZ govt know about. Asians are going to NZ (and particularly Auckland) by many means and students are just some of them.

It makes me laugh that you see this "English language" thing as a big barrier to Asian immos - they speak better English than Ozzies and kiwis. Your barrier will keep out some, but there are plenty more that have excellent Englsih skills.

You know what the Maoris had when the whites turned up and took over and made them the minority? Well, that is your future.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wilf Yes - and look what happened to the the people before the Maoris turned up and eat them !
Luckily we've moved on and most civilised races are able to cohabit and get on together quite well without resorting to canibalism........... or even racism
Old Aug 12th 2003, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Wilf Yes - and look what happened to the the people before the Maoris turned up and eat them !
Luckily we've moved on and most civilised races are able to cohabit and get on together quite well without resorting to canibalism........... or even racism

It is racist to question the wisdom of having 40% of Auckland's population being Asian? I am not scared of the word racist because I know what I am and what I am not, and racist I am not. I do, however, think it is not good to change the make-up of one country (and its only proper city) so much in such a short period. If the new people were from a white country (Italy, say) then I would say exactly the same, so you can hide behind this "racism" rubbish if you want but it is a fog to obscure the issue of rapid change in population forced on the locals (whatever their race).

I will make it like this for you:

I think that to have AUckland become 40% Italian (or Asian) would lead to problems and is unfair to the kiwis who already live there and will lead to social unrest.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Wilf
It is racist to question the wisdom of having 40% of Auckland's population being Asian?
Another piece of garbage from Wilf

In 2001, Europeans made up 65.7 per cent of the population of Auckland city, down from 73.1 per cent in 1991. Maori and Pacific Islands populations remained fairly static, decreasing 1 per cent between 1991 and 2001 to make up 8.4 and 13.7 per cent of the population respectively.

The Asian population experienced the greatest share of growth, up from 25,000 in 1991 to 63,000 (18 per cent) in 2001. This growth is reflected in Auckland's fast-growing Chinese population, which is now equivalent to the Maori population at 8 per cent.

This is only considering the city of Auckland itself, consider the other areas of Auckland, North Shore, West Auckland, etc the European component increases considerably.

Full Story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.