Personal wills

Old Feb 1st 2019, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice
Default Personal wills

What's your thoughts on this? DIY and witnessed or do it through a lawyer?

We have wills written in the UK and most of the fundamentals will remain unchanged so just wondering if I can save ourselves some $$$ by doing it ourselves using the UK version as a guide.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal wills

We're in the same boat MrsC.
Had a will in the UK but was advised to formally make it null and void when we migrated to NZ and haven't done another since. Have been meaning to and it's on the list of things to do. Planned to do it after building the house but just never got round to it. At the end of our mortgage fixed rate next month so I suppose there's no time like the present to get it done.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

MrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really niceMrsCakey is just really nice

We have an appointment with a life insurance broker in town, will let you know how we get on as they might be able to suggest a will writer (If such a thing exists in NZ)
Old Feb 6th 2019, 9:38 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Making a will in NZ is easey peasey.

Do it through a fixed fee lawyer.
Old Feb 6th 2019, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bev
Old Feb 10th 2019, 6:13 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

We did ours using a will kit like this:

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...ll-kit/1693898

As long as the kit is good quality and legitimate then I would say it's much cheaper and easier to do it this way. We are a pretty straight forward case with assets and beneficiaries, perhaps if your situation is more complicated then it's best to consult a lawyer.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
We did ours using a will kit like this:

https://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/...ll-kit/1693898

As long as the kit is good quality and legitimate then I would say it's much cheaper and easier to do it this way. We are a pretty straight forward case with assets and beneficiaries, perhaps if your situation is more complicated then it's best to consult a lawyer.
Excellent! Thank you. I love mighty ape
Old Feb 12th 2019, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsCakey
What's your thoughts on this? DIY and witnessed or do it through a lawyer?

We have wills written in the UK and most of the fundamentals will remain unchanged so just wondering if I can save ourselves some $$$ by doing it ourselves using the UK version as a guide.
It is possible to make a simple will
Old Mar 27th 2019, 11:26 pm
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

we have a deal at work where our kiwisaver company do wills for FREE!!! and when I was doing mine, relatively simple - It's all going to the crazy cat woman - the bloke writing it up said a lot of their work is sorting out the mess people make with the DIY one's! Mind you, as Mandy Rice Davis once said, "well, he would say that wouldn't he"!
Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

We did ours here a few years ago through a solicitor friend so it was free. We need to update ours now in the light of issues with my nephews. Our problem is who to leave anything to. We have thought of our God-daughter and her sister but tbh we never hear from them. I would leave some to a worthwhile charity but wouldn't want to leave it all to that. So that's holding us back. In the meantime, if anything happens to us then the selfish nephews get it all, so a decision is needed pronto!
Old Mar 28th 2019, 4:37 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
We did ours here a few years ago through a solicitor friend so it was free. We need to update ours now in the light of issues with my nephews. Our problem is who to leave anything to. We have thought of our God-daughter and her sister but tbh we never hear from them. I would leave some to a worthwhile charity but wouldn't want to leave it all to that. So that's holding us back. In the meantime, if anything happens to us then the selfish nephews get it all, so a decision is needed pronto!
I could have written this! We're in the same boat. No kids but have nieces and nephews. Thing is they will get a decent chunk of inheritance from grandparents when they pop off so I sort of feel like they don't need it, and I would rather give it to people/charities in genuine need. Plus their parents do a pretty shit job at keeping in touch. We decided a small token gesture to all of them and the rest to various charities.
Old Mar 29th 2019, 4:56 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I could have written this! We're in the same boat. No kids but have nieces and nephews. Thing is they will get a decent chunk of inheritance from grandparents when they pop off so I sort of feel like they don't need it, and I would rather give it to people/charities in genuine need. Plus their parents do a pretty shit job at keeping in touch. We decided a small token gesture to all of them and the rest to various charities.
I think we're all in that boat!
we're nil kids, and 'family' that aren't that interested in keeping in touch now....should imagine that will change if we ever look like we're at death's door.
We've decided on handing over some family heirlooms, perhaps a bit of money and telling them that we're making a charitable donation in their name to various charities.
Just wish we could be there to see the WTF moment(s)!
Old Mar 29th 2019, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cym
Just wish we could be there to see the WTF moment(s)!
If you want to see the WTF moments why not tell them now.
​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​
Old Mar 29th 2019, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

Not a problem for me, I have descendents coming out of my ears even though I only had 2 (I love them all) however I have heard that Starship is very good and likes to have an ongoing relationship with contributors etc
Old Apr 26th 2019, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Holwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Does a UK will have any force once you move permanently to NZ? We will be moving to farm and so bringing significant assets. We have UK wills at present and will have family left in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.